onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

43 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

If Wilson isn't a marquee signing for us i don't know who is.

Benning maybe another who'd fill me with excitement but probably go higher up the food chain. 

To be fair, Wilson has never really even come close to fulfilling his potential. This is probably the last chance saloon for him; rather like it was for Pope when we signed him, and look how that turned out, so fingers crossed there! As for marquee, what is marquee for this level? For me, its someone perhaps from a L1 side with a decent pedigree who could have perhaps opted for higher, much like the Aspins, Glovers, Foyles and Mills' of yesteryear, someone that buys into the bigger picture. OK we were a bigger pull back then but these players were still of the standard of the league above back then and we thought out of our reach. A more recent example I would be Dave Worrall. 

Advert

1 minute ago, Phil Smith said:

To be fair, Wilson has never really even come close to fulfilling his potential. This is probably the last chance saloon for him; rather like it was for Pope when we signed him, and look how that turned out, so fingers crossed there! As for marquee, what is marquee for this level? For me, its someone perhaps from a L1 side with a decent pedigree who could have perhaps opted for higher, much like the Aspins, Glovers, Foyles and Mills' of yesteryear, someone that buys into the bigger picture. OK we were a bigger pull back then but these players were still of the standard of the league above back then and we thought out of our reach. A more recent example I would be Dave Worrall. 

3 of the  4 you quoted all joined whilst we were in The Championship and Glover whilst challenging for promotion .

I've fallen into the trap myself in recent seasons of wanting an Ajose or Maynard or Vaughan. I think those days are long gone sadly. 

I know I’m in danger of falling into the same trap, but I’m starting to worry a tad about the lack of signings, especially at least one goalie, given the squad starts pre-season training. I know it’s never going to be perfect with contracts, negotiations etc  but you’d have thought that for bonding and tactical discussions you’d want as many of your squad back as possible. I hope we don’t fall into last years trap again.

1 hour ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I know I’m in danger of falling into the same trap, but I’m starting to worry a tad about the lack of signings, especially at least one goalie, given the squad starts pre-season training. I know it’s never going to be perfect with contracts, negotiations etc  but you’d have thought that for bonding and tactical discussions you’d want as many of your squad back as possible. I hope we don’t fall into last years trap again.

Agree entirely.

And I know one or two disagreed with me which is fine , but I'm sorry I don't want to go to Kidsgrove and Newcastle Town with trialists on show who nobody wants and they are at the last chance saloon. 

I'm hopeful a lot more business is done and dusted but 10 days before our first friendly we definitely need bodies in. But calculated signings hopefully. 

Peterborough owner Darragh MacAnthony just put this on Twitter in a reply to a worried fan about lack of signings

Signings are coming. Patience as panic leads to poor business. I have said this since day 1.

And he always seems to do fantastic business

We just have to trust the process , DC ,DF and carol etc

lots of time yet

6 hours ago, valeparklife said:

We have 17 players reporting back for pre-season training tomorrow, including no GK's and 3 on the transfer list.

Influx of signings today?

Why would we need an influx today? Things could be interesting soon enough with contracts coming to an end,so i dont see any issue as yet tbf

Peterborough owner Darragh MacAnthony just put this on Twitter in a reply to a worried fan about lack of signings

Signings are coming. Patience as panic leads to poor business. I have said this since day 1.

lots of time yet
Peterborough will just be adding 5 or 6 to a promotion winning squad.

Whereas we're rebuilding an entire squad from scratch near enough.

I'm not worried, but we could do with a few more bodies through the door!

4 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

One theory in the National press is that there is a surplus of players, so clubs hoping to reduce players` expectations, also very few transfer fees as clubs try to off-load players. 

I think that has a part to play in how we are doing things imo,DC and DF wont want to pay over the odds for players and will only pay what they think they are worth(might be why Gordon didn't come?) yes we might miss out on a couple(who move purely for the most money and not on being sold a vision) but we might also get a couple we dont expect because of it,maybe a new face or two will turn up for training and sign tomorrow.

I would also expect at some point a couple of young players turn up released by championship or premier league teams on a trial basis

2 hours ago, Phil Smith said:

The majority of those type of players will move to whoever pays the most money,we have a very good budget(wilson wont be cheap) but should we break the bank for a player who just wants as much cash as they can get,no for me when there are decent players out there who maybe aren't like your Maynards of this world

2 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

I think that has a part to play in how we are doing things imo,DC and DF wont want to pay over the odds for players and will only pay what they think they are worth(might be why Gordon didn't come?) yes we might miss out on a couple(who move purely for the most money and not on being sold a vision) but we might also get a couple we dont expect because of it,maybe a new face or two will turn up for training and sign tomorrow.

I would also expect at some point a couple of young players turn up released by championship or premier league teams on a trial basis

We can be signing players in August, as long as we have enough to start the season. I rest my hopes on the greater league experience of  AC/DC/DF than our recent managers.

1 hour ago, vale victory said:

lots of time yet

They have only released 6 players though. They still have more than one goalkeeper and about 25 other players.

I know its not a 'Marquee' signing, but apparently we have signed youngster John Clarke from Stockport Town in the North West Counties League. (According to Pro Football Academy and he is on their books).

For all of those worrying about the number of signings made so far, please stop. We have targets, we need to make signings, we have been doing and we will make more, as long as we have the right players in place for the first proper game of the season it doesn't matter - its about long term as well as short term and the signings have to be made with both things in mind (lets not rush to get someone in who isn't the right fit).

image.png.3ebe0c478fc5d9fd1b7e35d18b78d3b6.png

5 minutes ago, cactuselves said:

I know its not a 'Marquee' signing, but apparently we have signed youngster John Clarke from Stockport Town in the North West Counties League. (According to Pro Football Academy and he is on their books).

For all of those worrying about the number of signings made so far, please stop. We have targets, we need to make signings, we have been doing and we will make more, as long as we have the right players in place for the first proper game of the season it doesn't matter - its about long term as well as short term and the signings have to be made with both things in mind (lets not rush to get someone in who isn't the right fit).

image.png.3ebe0c478fc5d9fd1b7e35d18b78d3b6.png

That was announced a couple of months ago joined our Academy 17yr old CB along with a few others i think

Of our released players, Brown has become a coach, RCG is at Hanley Town, and Monty has gone to Livingston. Out of 15. 

Very slow window thus far it appears. Doesn't stop me being irrational and wanting signing pronto. Announce Lawrence imo. 

Archived