onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

10 minutes ago, robf said:

I'm showing my lack of knowledge of how things are done in the professional game here but... do we need to have all positions covered for the first few training sessions?

Aren't the first sessions going to be fitness based? Things like the physio assessing their fitness levels, running, gym work, giving them training routines etc. I don't think they are going to immediately hit the pitch and play 11 vs 11 are they?

That sounds about right. Most of this will be weighing them in and other fitness tests as DC did say after the Mansfield game any who missed their targets were getting fined. Doubt they will do much work with the ball or any shape work etc for a couple of weeks at least.

Advert

44 minutes ago, Doha said:

It's a bit weird isn't it? As contracts start on July 1st, reporting back over a week before, still in June, seems a bit early? 6 weeks of preseason seems like a lot?

the way they are going, it will take 4 weeks for them to introduce themselves!😄:drink:

21 minutes ago, robf said:

I'm showing my lack of knowledge of how things are done in the professional game here but... do we need to have all positions covered for the first few training sessions?

Aren't the first sessions going to be fitness based? Things like the physio assessing their fitness levels, running, gym work, giving them training routines etc. I don't think they are going to immediately hit the pitch and play 11 vs 11 are they?

could be a plan rob!:drink:

1 hour ago, valeparklife said:

We have 17 players reporting back for pre-season training tomorrow, including no GK's and 3 on the transfer list.

Influx of signings today?

I think it will be tomorrow. Sign here now try and keep up with Gibbon and Conlon running up and down the hills at Hanley Forrest Park!

I think proper pre-season will start Monday. Thursday seems an odd day and it may just be a couple of days of medicals, fitness/bleep tests, initiations etc.

However, as a fully signed up supporter of the Matrix, I will admit I thought we would have a more full squad than 14 (if excluding the lads Dazzler doesn't rate) by the day we return.

It's not a moan as such as I'm sure we will get it sorted + no one else is doing much business, but 3-4 signings before Thursday would be decent.

55 minutes ago, robf said:

They used to go down to Hanley Forest Park and do laps around the lake and hills if I remember right with Micky Adams before they even got a look at the ball.  

Some of the players used to say they hated the first week back as it was just punishing.  Wonder where our new squad will go and if any of the un-named players will be on show.

Are players who’ve agreed to sign for us allowed to train with us before the expiry of their contracts elsewhere? If they’re employed by another club, then issues of insurance and liability must come into play, for example what happened if they had an injury while training with us, while still on the books of another club? Wonder if there’s some sort of waiver or agreement which has to be in place?

17 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I think proper pre-season will start Monday. Thursday seems an odd day and it may just be a couple of days of medicals, fitness/bleep tests, initiations etc.

However, as a fully signed up supporter of the Matrix, I will admit I thought we would have a more full squad than 14 (if excluding the lads Dazzler doesn't rate) by the day we return.

It's not a moan as such as I'm sure we will get it sorted + no one else is doing much business, but 3-4 signings before Thursday would be decent.

One theory in the National press is that there is a surplus of players, so clubs hoping to reduce players` expectations, also very few transfer fees as clubs try to off-load players. 

17 hours ago, Phil Smith said:

I've seen Hartlepool 6 or 8 times on TV this season and to be honest Ryan Johnson hasn't really impressed me: so much so I had to look up who he was when these rumours started circulating. My opinion is that he's a bang average National League player - I've been wrong before though 😄 There are precious few NL players this season who I think can make the step up, but the one that impresses me most is Rhys Oates, also of Hartlepool, who has had a banging second half of the season. However, looking at the wider picture his stats really seems aren't that impressive over his entire career! Guess we'll just have to wait and see if any more signings materialise, and who they are; until then I'll just have to keep on stressing... 

Have to agree, on the basis of that performance in the NL play off final. Lacked awareness of what was going on around him, in the book early doors for a reckless foul after he'd been done by a tiny bit of movement and pace and generally looked like a bang average non-league defender.

The only thing I can think is that they've identified that Smithy needs a big brute next to him to bring out his best - as we saw with Streete, Innis, Bikey etc. 

Is it just me that's getting a little worried that the lack of signings over the last week or so means that most of our targets have opted for elsewhere or are waiting to see whether a better prospect than Vale come along? I don't buy into the 'well most players contracts run to the end of June so well know more then' idea: players sign pre-contract agreements - being contracted to one employer doesn't rule out looking for another job does it? Personally speaking, having looked at the stats of the incoming signings so far, all much of a muchness: big, in their mid-20s, and already journeymen who've been unable to hold down a regular place elsewhere and have managed on average about 25 games a season so far in their career, or, who have fallen way short of their potential. Exactly the sort of player that DC said he didn't want, e.g. the Montys and Mannys of this world. We need a handful of decent and marquee signings (for this league) for me yet, and some raw young potential if we're to stand any chance of a half decent season. 

I keep seeing a few on here referring to 'big name' or 'marquee' signings. Name who you would consider such a signing?

Is it just me that's getting a little worried that the lack of signings over the last week or so means that most of our targets have opted for elsewhere or are waiting to see whether a better prospect than Vale come along? I don't buy into the 'well most players contracts run to the end of June so well know more then' idea: players sign pre-contract agreements - being contracted to one employer doesn't rule out looking for another job does it? Personally speaking, having looked at the stats of the incoming signings so far, all much of a muchness: big, in their mid-20s, and already journeymen who've been unable to hold down a regular place elsewhere and have managed on average about 25 games a season so far in their career, or, who have fallen way short of their potential. Exactly the sort of player that DC said he didn't want, e.g. the Montys and Mannys of this world. We need a handful of decent and marquee signings (for this league) for me yet, and some raw young potential if we're to stand any chance of a half decent season. 

1 hour ago, jjvale_03 said:

The only thing I can think is that they've identified that Smithy needs a big brute next to him to bring out his best - as we saw with Streete, Innis, Bikey etc. 

I think this can be a problem sometimes with Smith. 

When we play with a big man up top (recently Pope, Rodney, Bennett) , the biggest opposition defender follows them wherever they go.

We always seem to allow an oppositions big man up top to pull away from Legge and onto Smith. Smith picks the flight of the ball very well, is strong for a man of his size and is very good at getting away with the dark arts of defending, because of this he usually acquits himself very well and wins most battles. Occasionally the opposition striker gets into the right position early and Smith loses his advantage and loses out, also sometimes he meets his match against an Akinfenwa or Rhead type and gets mauled to death.

25 minutes ago, philmpv said:

I keep seeing a few on here referring to 'big name' or 'marquee' signings. Name who you would consider such a signing?

If Wilson isn't a marquee signing for us i don't know who is.

Benning maybe another who'd fill me with excitement but probably go higher up the food chain. 

Archived