onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

5 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Only one of the promoted teams, Cambridge, had a striker who got more than 20 league goals. Morecambe’s top scorer got 15. At Bolton Doyle, who cost a fortune in wages, got 19 with the next best player getting 7. If Doyle had missed a dozen games Bolton probably wouldn’t have gone up. Cheltenham didn’t have a single player with double figures.

Tranmere, Exeter and Leyton had strikers with 19, 18 and 17 respectively but didn’t go up.

A 20 goal a season doesn’t guarantee promotion. A balanced squad with goals from different areas of the team might. 

PS. Man City’s top scorer got 13 league goals but they had 17 different scorers!

Advert

12 minutes ago, Rocky said:

I made the same point on here the day we signed him. He wasn't just used in a DM role either, he was moved about quite a bit either side of his injury. 

He was brand new to League football last season so maybe needed time to find his feet.  After all, he'd got a bigger step than most having come from the Northern Premier Lge.

That's presumably why Blackpool loaned him out. Clubs generally don't loan out the finished article but are more likely to loan out fringe players to gain experience and playing time. 

So, by definition, that means he had some learning to do while there. 

We've seen this before at Vale - that's how a lot of loans work. We get a raw, inexperienced player to work with and the parent club sees the benefits later on. Look at the likes of Shodipo who came to us with zero experience but is now playing regularly in a higher division. Callum Guy, now a regular League 2 starter. So, I don't really care if he was a "work in progress" at Oldham and didn't have an impact for them - that was last season - hopefully we now reap the benefit of that learning period. 

He's now at Vale with a season of League experience under his belt.

59 minutes ago, Rocky said:

I made the same point on here the day we signed him. He wasn't just used in a DM role either, he was moved about quite a bit either side of his injury. 

We are now a development club, spotting players that we can improve, also we need to get into L! where there is a better standard of football. Getting the balance right is the tricky bit, but hopefully exciting times

1 hour ago, robf said:

He was brand new to League football last season so maybe needed time to find his feet.  After all, he'd got a bigger step than most having come from the Northern Premier Lge.

That's presumably why Blackpool loaned him out. Clubs generally don't loan out the finished article but are more likely to loan out fringe players to gain experience and playing time. 

So, by definition, that means he had some learning to do while there. 

We've seen this before at Vale - that's how a lot of loans work. We get a raw, inexperienced player to work with and the parent club sees the benefits later on. Look at the likes of Shodipo who came to us with zero experience but is now playing regularly in a higher division. Callum Guy, now a regular League 2 starter. So, I don't really care if he was a "work in progress" at Oldham and didn't have an impact for them - that was last season - hopefully we now reap the benefit of that learning period. 

He's now at Vale with a season of League experience under his belt.

And as much as it is fun to speculate and discuss the manager's and DoF's decision to bring in a player and to criticise if it's someone they don't rate, that team of 3 will have pored over video and data to make the decision of bringing him in. This wasn't a last minute transfer dash to get over the line because another deal fell through. This feels calculated and highly assessed that he fits within the playing style that Clarke wants from his team. 

He doesn't strike me as a DM so no wonder he struggled, looks very much like a CM with lots of energy to chase and create. Of all of the signings, this is the one that has my interest the most and that I'll be watching closely on his debut and one that I hope is a success more than any other as I think/hope Oldham fans are wrong about him. 

40 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Look at Zak Jules, we derided him whilst he was with us.

Walsall signed him and if they'd seen our comments, must have wondered what on Earth they'd done!

Then a year or so later they're selling him for a fee to a higher division club!

Jules was loaned to us for the other classic loan reason - to get an injured player fit again.

He'd been out for ages with a ripped hamstring. So, he was bound to take a few games to get anywhere near fit. The problem was - football fans tend to disregard that sort of thing and expect players to be instantly "on it." 

He was given one and half matches by Aspo which clearly wasn't enough time and no indication of how he'd be when fit. 

I suspect his form at Walsall was down to him getting his fitness and a run of games and if we'd have persisted with him, perhaps used him off the bench for a few weeks and gradually eased him in, he may well have drastically improved his form over a few more games with us.

Just now, robf said:

Jules was loaned to us for the other classic loan reason - to get an injured player fit again.

He'd been out for ages with a ripped hamstring. So, he was bound to take a few games to get anywhere near fit. The problem was - football fans tend to disregard that sort of thing and expect players to be instantly "on it." 

He was given one and half matches by Aspo which clearly wasn't enough time and no indication of how he'd be when fit. 

I suspect his form at Walsall was down to him getting his fitness and a run of games and if we'd have persisted with him, perhaps used him off the bench for a few weeks and gradually eased him in, he may well have drastically improved his form over a few more games with us.

If I recall he debuted against Colchester and Senior tore him apart (not the first Vale player thats happened to) but didnt really play much and was judged on that.

May have been far better had we persevered I guess.

I'm sure that it's DC's intention to distribute the goals throughout the team. He said at the outset of the close season that we shouldn't expect a 20 goal a season striker to be signed because the club simply couldn't afford it. Instead, it's quite possible to conceive that a combination of goals from Conlon, Garrity, Taylor and Worrall - not to mention Rodney and Wilson - could potentially double that amount. Indeed, I think DC believes he could get 20 goals out of just Rodney and, after getting 12 in his first season, that's a perfectly reasonable assumption. 

The one that intrigues me is Garrity and I recall the reported discussion earlier in this thread with the owner of Warrington who said that Garrity's hallmark was arriving late in the box and putting it away, more often than not with his head. It's too early to say with any conviction yet but a midfield three of Garrity, Conlon and Worrall - in front of Walker - would pose a considerable goalscoring threat and potentially create lots for our forwards. Garrity seems built for that as a box to box midfielder who is difficult to track and then just happening to turn up for one of Wozza's crosses. How long is it since we had a player like that? 

The other encouraging factor, judging by the signings so far, is that DC seems to have made up his mind that height, power and pace are the three best attributes to get us out of L2. I don't think bullying a physically modest Port Vale is going to be on the cards at any point next season. If it comes off, watching us dominate the opposition is going to be a regular pleasure.

Great to be optimistic again, isn't it?

1 hour ago, CambridgeDon said:

I'm sure that it's DC's intention to distribute the goals throughout the team. He said at the outset of the close season that we shouldn't expect a 20 goal a season striker to be signed because the club simply couldn't afford it. Instead, it's quite possible to conceive that a combination of goals from Conlon, Garrity, Taylor and Worrall - not to mention Rodney and Wilson - could potentially double that amount. Indeed, I think DC believes he could get 20 goals out of just Rodney and, after getting 12 in his first season, that's a perfectly reasonable assumption. 

The one that intrigues me is Garrity and I recall the reported discussion earlier in this thread with the owner of Warrington who said that Garrity's hallmark was arriving late in the box and putting it away, more often than not with his head. It's too early to say with any conviction yet but a midfield three of Garrity, Conlon and Worrall - in front of Walker - would pose a considerable goalscoring threat and potentially create lots for our forwards. Garrity seems built for that as a box to box midfielder who is difficult to track and then just happening to turn up for one of Wozza's crosses. How long is it since we had a player like that? 

The other encouraging factor, judging by the signings so far, is that DC seems to have made up his mind that height, power and pace are the three best attributes to get us out of L2. I don't think bullying a physically modest Port Vale is going to be on the cards at any point next season. If it comes off, watching us dominate the opposition is going to be a regular pleasure.

Great to be optimistic again, isn't it?

Ian Taylor was the last true box 2 box midfielder we've had. 

Archived