onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

Did well last season didn't he?? not knocking it but i would sooner spend the cash on a released championship/premier young forward or even a national league striker than an has been striker chasing the coin wherever he can now

Only my opinion of course

It’s all a game of chance. Who would you bet on? A proven goal scorer that’s possibly past it or a untried and untested youth player. Sometimes the experienced player works sometimes not. Sometimes the young lad works sometimes not. One thing is for sure, I still wish we had signed Maynard over <Edit> theo Robinson. 

It’s hard, we’ve had so many failures recently and what one success on hughill, im all for giving the young lads ago, nothing I like more in football actually but it’s not a given that it’s the best option. Maynard did struggle last season, but at the time he would have been a class signing for us. In retrospect maybe not. 

Advert

13 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

I think when we go on about a 20 goal striker we sometimes forget about Rodders who got was it 12 last season mainly out wide,now imo put him down the middle with another forward and he could be our 20 goal striker,someone alongside him to get say 15 and then distribute the rest

He’s better out wide. Rodney will score more out wide that up front imo. I don’t see him as a natural finisher, he is class out wide and is brilliant at coming in and shooting. For me another forward would be great (maybe unrealistic) but having a front two with Rodney and wozza out wide would be lethal 

We have 1 devastating winger. That’s not enough. Need 2 first team bombers with Amoo, Hurst and another on the bench.

Need another decent striker too so we have 2 of 3 playing for places, all as good options then Robinson as a last-ditch slot in if needed. Obviously the hope is to offload him but I can’t see any of the TLed being picked up until psychedelics are legalised.

1 hour ago, blackdog said:

My feeling is DC would prefer a side that distributes goals throughout the team, obviously he would love a 20 plus striker but they command a premium salary, better to spread the money around the squad, also if the goals are loaded on one player it's a bit of a risk, a) The opposition know who to mark, keep him quiet and you keep the team quiet and b) Injury or suspension could ruin a sides progress if the lads missing.

As long as the side is winning and the goals are spread around the side I'm not particularly bothered about a marque signing.

You mean like we said "let's keep Eisa under wraps" when he played for Cheltenham, and he scored 4? 😅

PP, Walker

Gar(r?)it(t?)y

Whitehead, Burgess

Huge amount of pressure on Tom and Walker to perform and stay injury free. Moving Burgess and Whitehead would surely free up a decent wage for one commanding centre mid to add in there.

14 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Johnson didn't strike me as anything special today however can't judge on only occasion I've seen him. 

Best player was a Hartlepool midfield player called Shelton 

I thought so too when I watched Johnson in the previous round but one game is nowt to go on really. 

4 hours ago, dishydave said:
Salford seems to be a place where careers go to die

Football is a team game, players have to complement each other, be motivated around a common cause. Shuffling managers does not help either. Players lose interest when they are not in the team having been regulars
at previous clubs. Why do players go to Salford?

11 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Why do players go to Salford?

I guess when Gary Neville, Paul Scholes and company ring you up and offer you a truck full of cash to play for a Manchester based club then you'll be tempted

Only one of the promoted teams, Cambridge, had a striker who got more than 20 league goals. Morecambe’s top scorer got 15. At Bolton Doyle, who cost a fortune in wages, got 19 with the next best player getting 7. If Doyle had missed a dozen games Bolton probably wouldn’t have gone up. Cheltenham didn’t have a single player with double figures.

Tranmere, Exeter and Leyton had strikers with 19, 18 and 17 respectively but didn’t go up.

A 20 goal a season doesn’t guarantee promotion. A balanced squad with goals from different areas of the team might. 

Only one of the promoted teams, Cambridge, had a striker who got more than 20 league goals. Morecambe’s top scorer got 15. At Bolton Doyle, who cost a fortune in wages, got 19 with the next best player getting 7. If Doyle had missed a dozen games Bolton probably wouldn’t have gone up. Cheltenham didn’t have a single player with double figures.
Tranmere, Exeter and Leyton had strikers with 19, 18 and 17 respectively but didn’t go up.
A 20 goal a season doesn’t guarantee promotion. A balanced squad with goals from different areas of the team might. 
We have had 20 goal strikers before and not gone up. Infact Mcphee was around 27.

On 12/06/2021 at 11:07, Iron Curtain said:

Really Interesting point made by the Ale and the Vale lads (@stupers another brilliant pod)... about Garrity and how Oldham used him.

Oldham were not that complimentary BUT they used him predominantly in a defensive role.

Now, if we think back to when we were using Conlon in that role when DC had no choice when he first came in. He was dreadful and got some shocking scores. But then, as soon as he was put in his more natural position he started to shine again.

A new role for Garrity and he could suddenly click and be a bit of a cult hero! 🤞🤞🤞

I made the same point on here the day we signed him. He wasn't just used in a DM role either, he was moved about quite a bit either side of his injury. 

Archived