onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Advert

Isn't that always the case? Ultimately managers get judged each season on recruitment. Regardless of what posters say in June if the players look awful and we are bottom half come December there will be widespread indignation on here. It's the ultimate Dickins novel with each seasonal chapter having its own plot; although still ending in roughly the same place.
Same as the Premier League, avoid relegation in the first season, then the second season is the test. Uncertainty is to be expected, especially after a radical change.

4 hours ago, JRC said:

Isn't that always the case? Ultimately managers get judged each season on recruitment. Regardless of what posters say in June if the players look awful and we are bottom half come December there will be widespread indignation on here. It's the ultimate Dickins novel with each seasonal chapter having its own plot; although still ending in roughly the same place.

I suppose so. I just mean if we win promotion with a young squad then we'll be in an even more fantastic position than we would be if we'd done so with an older squad of League Two veterans.

But you're right of course and I've said it myself, as have others, that if it doesn't work out and we find ourselves in a bad run of form in the bottom half of the table come January then there will be calls for the manager's head. Then a new manager will be credited with saving us from 'nailed on relegation' and the cycle continues, just like it has for the last few managers.

I don't think that will happen though. I'm convinced that Clarke is a good enough manager to get us promoted or at least have us around the top ten if it turns out the new lads aren't quite good enough/don't click together, which hopefully they will be.

GK
Lewis Ward - Exeter
DF
Mal Benning - Mansfield 
Dan Jones - Harrogate
Ryan Sweeney - Mansfield
James Clarke - Walsall
Ryan Johnson - Hartlepool
Aaron Martin - Hamilton
MF
Stuart Sinclair - Walsall
ST
Josh Gordon - Walsall
James Wilson - Salford
As an overview… many I’ve missed?
There's some very good names on that list isn't there

I doubt much of what you've written there, is true.
The bigger job was turning round the basket case the club was after Aspin. So I should think you're not full of the 'facts'. Nor are any of us but I would be very careful taking anything DC says at face value.

The club was a basket case, pity JA didn’t want to engage with the youth setup , this was a major issue

Stuart Sinclair would turn 34 a few months into the season so I would be surprised at that one. Doesn't seem to have pulled up any trees at Smallsall either; I'd rather give any Smalsall players a miss tbh. 

Based on the first two at last cards are close to the chest. 

Neither signing was rumoured although the Blackpool journo seemed to know. 

We might see a few more unexpected ones .

I don't see Stuart Sinclair fitting our M.O at all though. 

10 minutes ago, tisdeano said:

The club was a basket case, pity JA didn’t want to engage with the youth setup , this was a major issue

To be fair to JA you have to have the quality in the youth setup to be interested....we didn't during his tenure.

13 hours ago, Ron C said:

I doubt much of what you've written there, is true.

The bigger job was turning round the basket case the club was after Aspin. So I should think you're not full of the 'facts'. Nor are any of us but I would be very careful taking anything DC says at face value.

How can you say we were a basket case club after Neil Aspin. Aspin worked under a dictator with no concerns for the club it was just a cash cow for him. I’m of the belief that if Aspin had been given the support that JA had had we’d have been in a far better position, than under JA. I base my opinion on the fact that 70%-80% of JA’s first team were signed by Neil and we used those players under JA’s reign. The majority of JA’s signings were useless his tactics were so robust even down to when he’d make his substitutions and also which players would be substituted and replaced by the same player every game. I’m not a knocker of DC and agree that he could conduct himself in a more professional manner. I remain open minded on DC but respect the fact the mat the Shanahans feel that he is the right person to head their business and lead our club. There aren’t any guarantees in football and many good managers have failed at certain clubs. There’s a lot of luck in continually being a successful club and many things have to fall into place.

Apologise for the rant and going off topic please accept my apologises.

To be fair to JA you have to have the quality in the youth setup to be interested....we didn't during his tenure.
He got rid of the reserve team. This directly contributed to our lack of fitness amongst squad players and the stunting of youth players progress.

Archived