onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

4 minutes ago, philmpv said:

A player who scored 11 last season needs to improve tenfold? So 110 goals a season needed?High standards you have VFIA emoji38.png

You are missing the point Phil - it was Pope’s 3 goals that ‘saved’ us last year! 😉

Advert

1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

Should we sign Gordon i do fully expect him to get plenty of negative comments off walsall fans

Unfortunately yes. People are too binary.

You don’t become a bad player overnight.

he was their player of the season in the season before the one just finished.

Their fans were unhappy at the thought of him being sold to teams higher up the leagues 

30 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

Should we sign Gordon i do fully expect him to get plenty of negative comments off walsall fans

Walsall fans aren't universally negative about him. He was player of the year, he's also been the leading scorer at the club and clubs in league 1 tried to buy him in September. They are, generally,  negative about how he's played in the last 5 months. I've always watched him closely as I've known him since he was a kid. For me he's a forward who is best with someone to work off and play around. He lost that when Adebayo moved on. I'd be fairly confident he could do at least an adequate job alongside Rodney. I think he'd be good for 8 to 12 goals a season, which is ok if your partner gets 15 to 20. He'll work hard, stretch defences, track back, win a reasonable number of headers considering his height, put in a tackle and run the channels all day. He might surprise but I don't think we'd be signing a 20 goals a season forward. I'd be very surprised if a regular 20 goal striker arrives as anyone who can do that will probably move to a higher league.

Again I respect your thoughts VFIA but Rodney did very well indeed. 

A really good return in his first full season. 

Did he frustrate me with his lack of awareness, poor first touch and drifting out of games when he had their player on toast . Of course he did. His general looking up to pick out a player who was open was also poor at times .

The lad has to be given slack because 

A. He's a raw novice 

B. He was playing in a team devoid of confidence for huge parts. 

He did very well and for me is the first striker on the team sheet with big improvement to come from him. 

I personally expect him to get 15 this season. 

He could prove to be a cracking signing . 

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

You are correct. But I think the point V593 is making is that some posters are critical about literally everything. 

It's great to have debates, but balanced ones surely. Let's be honest not a soul on here knows the first thing about Garrity . 

He played probably 10-15 more times than Whitehead and Burgess combined in the same division last season.

I have to agree with V593, we can't win, someone with only 34 games is a chancer, someone with 350 games will be a journeyman. 

I don't know what people are expecting. We have had 3 seasons where our actual league status was in jeopardy. Serious jeopardy. Do we carry on with the same bumbling approach ? 

A few of Clarke's signings won't be great but must surely prove an upgrade on the likes of Mills, Fitz, Whitehead, etc etc. 

Take a look 12 months ago and a lot of the people being negative about the new signings then are being negative now. Whereas those saying how brilliant the signings are so far this year were trying to convince everyone that Danny Whitehead was a "class signing" 12 months ago.

Does that mean the moaners are right this time as well? Of course not!

It's about building a team, a squad in fact. Clarke seemingly wants a young, hard working and versatile team who buy into his 'vision'. So we perhaps shouldn't be that concerned if some of the signings lack experience. And he seems to have a Midas touch with injuries so I'm not overly worried about new signings with patchy records in this regard.

It may work or it may not work. But I do find the whole mantra of "results are good at the moment so any criticism means the person wants the club to fail" or "results are bad at the moment so anyone defending the manager/team owners is a happy clapper" a bit tedious.

This new squad will need time to gel and so results might not be particularly brilliant in the early stages. No doubt then those calling for patience will find the term 'happy clappers' gaining in popularity in the forums again.

2 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Again I respect your thoughts VFIA but Rodney did very well indeed. 

A really good return in his first full season. 

Did he frustrate me with his lack of awareness, poor first touch and drifting out of games when he had their player on toast . Of course he did. His general looking up to pick out a player who was open was also poor at times .

The lad has to be given slack because 

A. He's a raw novice 

B. He was playing in a team devoid of confidence for huge parts. 

He did very well and for me is the first striker on the team sheet with big improvement to come from him. 

I personally expect him to get 15 this season. 

He could prove to be a cracking signing . 

Totally agree with all your points,however I feel he needs do more I do not want 110 goals a season  but i feel if he was fitter and more motivated he could get 20 plus no problems .

Let's see what a pre season does with Clark i expect every player to be better in terms of physicality and running prowess but these days you have to be able play as well but good tactics could bring unexpected good results and cup runs which attract new support .

Its exciting that's for sure ,we will start the season with 15 unknowns who could be assets they could be abysmal ,that's the beauty of it the unknown so I will buy a season ticket at some point even though I'll go no more than 7 games (son can use all the rest ).

UTV 

Walker is a chancer due to his injury  concerns and Garritty is similar and lacks league experience,i want experienced pro's,the likes of Andy Cook and an established left back,players who have that quality to get promotion.
Who is to say we won't sign any of those. We got rid of fifteen and have signed two.

Joyce being replaced by Walker is an upgrade. If Garrity is for Whitehead / Burgess chances are that’s an upgrade, if not it’s a bit part player, so no downside. Who we get to replace Brown, Pope, relegate Amoo to the bench, to partner Smith are the ‘telling’ signings.

1 hour ago, Breadwinner said:

Lol no thanks I wouldnt want 8 of either of them 2 and definitely not 4 Rodney's he needs to improve ten fold .

Do not mind 2 conlons though and Smith well if we want promotion of which he as never being part of a team who would ever challenge the top sides in this division (up to yet proven seasonally to be bang average nothing more )then a squad emergency player is how I'd use him personally yes he performs well for himself sometimes but doesn't seem a  team player to me never has let the truth be told .

Not like we would have paid much for the players so they are a gamble but not expensive ones a gamble is paying 12 million for a striker on about 23 grand a week and he according to there fans is dire (Sam Vokes although i do not really know how much he is on but good money for not a good return ).

A player at one club can be so so but at another with encouragement from all support can be something else ,lets not make new players not feel wanted it's a new beginning we no longer have Popey to save us we have to grow and bring a brand of football that as the ones who attend telling folk who no longer attend there is gems at Vale you ought see this players level of  performance is excellent , so every game there are more newcomers to the ground so if on sat say the 21st of Aug v Swindon at home there are 5780 home fans present and the team are outstanding and word spreads then v Tranmere 28th Aug there 6150 home fans there do you get my drift .

So lets hope there performance levels are consistently high then more folk will part with there coin .

UTV

That the team i expect Clark to be building and if he can sell a few on for millions great .

If Rodney improves tenfold he’ll get 100 goals next season!!

36 minutes ago, connor hackett said:

Two solid signings so far, two midfield workhorses, trust the plan, we are smashing this league next season.

Looks like mentality and fitness is important in the "matrix". From reading about Walker and Garrity they seem desperate to play games and have energy to burn.

5 hours ago, Walka003 said:

Having an opinion on a signing doesn't mean you want the club to fail.

Absolutely. Scrutiny of players who look dubious on paper is perfectly reasonable. I hope they are wonderful world beaters and DC leads to crush the division. 

However imagine Askey had survived the season, had this clearout and bought in those names. There would be hell! 

What we are hoping and having to believe is that DC can bring out the best is them. 

Archived