onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

23 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

You are correct. But I think the point V593 is making is that some posters are critical about literally everything. 

It's great to have debates, but balanced ones surely. Let's be honest not a soul on here knows the first thing about Garrity . 

He played probably 10-15 more times than Whitehead and Burgess combined in the same division last season.

I have to agree with V593, we can't win, someone with only 34 games is a chancer, someone with 350 games will be a journeyman. 

I don't know what people are expecting. We have had 3 seasons where our actual league status was in jeopardy. Serious jeopardy. Do we carry on with the same bumbling approach ? 

A few of Clarke's signings won't be great but must surely prove an upgrade on the likes of Mills, Fitz, Whitehead, etc etc. 

If we are making 15 signings we already probably have 5 starters so the maths suggest that most will be squad players.

Smith, Gibbons , Conlon, Worrall, Rodney the only first team starters left in my view . 

What we need is better replacement's for the inevitable injuries and suspension. Last year's squad meant if we had maybe 3 of our best X1 out we were dreadful. 

I'm more than happy with a total reset and we might have to have patience, not something football fans are good at, including myself. 

Walker will have been signed to be a starter. Taylor IF he regains his 2019 form for us, so that's 6 or possibly 7 players I'd expect to start the first match.

One of the issues last year was having so many squad players starting so many matches. At this level long-term injuries to 3 or 4 key players can be difference between a playoff fight and a relegation battle. That's part of the reason there are always 3 or 4 surprises in the top 10 and why teams suddenly fall away so quickly during the season.

Advert

41 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

I do think some fans dont realise the model we are now trying to follow for the long term benefit of the club

We will bring in a couple of experienced players i am sure of that but the majority will be around the ages we have signed so far and there will be a few around the age of 20. Will we be prepared to pay the wage an Andy Cook would demand,i doubt it but we will see.

I have been guilty in the past of being frustrated at our lack of so called known signings but i buy into the vision that the club now has,those teams promoted(bar Bolton) had very few known signings in them so it doesn't always work

My concern is that we might focus too much on the long term and forget the short term, we need a team now which can win a minimum of 15 games next season to avoid relegation. 

11 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

My concern is that we might focus too much on the long term and forget the short term, we need a team now which can win a minimum of 15 games next season to avoid relegation. 

I dont think there is any danger of that tbh,i really do believe the owners want promotion asap

Another 2 players who have been heavily hinted at are Gordon(walsall) and Johnson(Hartlepool) now IF we sign those 2 will ovf go into meltdown considering what some are expecting

18 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I’d be surprised if we’re in a relegation battle again personally. I suppose time will tell on the focus when we see further signings. Everything that has come from the club has mentioned promotion in the short term but I suppose signings will dictate this 

Walker is a signing for now, that’s obvious. Garrity is a serviceable back up and possible step up. Can’t sign 8 smiths for defence, 8 conlons for midfield and 4 Rodneys for strikers, there’s going to be a mix of talents and that will be reflected by who is actually first choice.

7 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

I dont think there is any danger of that tbh,i really do believe the owners want promotion asap

Another 2 players who have been heavily hinted at are Gordon(walsall) and Johnson(Hartlepool) now IF we sign those 2 will ovf go into meltdown considering what some are expecting

Gordon is a decent player, goals output a slight concern. He's a player who will run the channels and let Rodney play more centrally.  Rodney was less of a goal threat playing with Robinson as Robinson had to play in those central areas. I would be happy with Gordon as I can see the logic to it.

Johnson is harder to comment on. Centrehalves tend to come through at 23 or 24. He has some league experience,  dropped down a level to get games. I'm not averse to signing better Conference players as the standard is almost the same. Left footed Centrehalves are at a premium, so I'd be inclined to take a positive view on this one as well. He won't be any worse than released league 2 left footed centrebacks, with more potential to progress. Generally highly rated where he is.

5 minutes ago, 1 said:

Walker is a signing for now, that’s obvious. Garrity is a serviceable back up and possible step up. Can’t sign 8 smiths for defence, 8 conlons for midfield and 4 Rodneys for strikers, there’s going to be a mix of talents and that will be reflected by who is actually first choice.

I don’t think we would be paying fees for back up players, and he has played practically a full season at this level, and must be better than fitz Whitehead, Mills etc. so that’s an improvement.

Whilst you can’t dismiss what Oldham fans said of his performances last season without knowing what role he is going to be doing here you also can’t just automatically assume it would be the same here. Also would note he was on loan (which is always dicey whether they work out or not) and especially at that club which has a lot of upheaval then there’s two very different situations he is coming into.

By the sound of it he is full of effort and running but limited technically so if he can do the donkey work to free up the likes of Conlon and Worrall to play more advanced then he has done his job already.

25 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

Should we sign Gordon i do fully expect him to get plenty of negative comments off walsall fans

Offered him a contract? Mate we were joking around with him, he’s <ovf censored> really, we would have retracted it, glad to get rid of our POTY he wasn’t good enough.

19th is mid table to them, so by that logic we must have finished in the playoffs.

I’m looking forward to what strikers we sign to partner Rodney, because say what you like about Robinson but he can get 10 off the bench. If some exciting forwards are in there to rival Rodney to start we could have a team on our hands.

39 minutes ago, 1 said:

Walker is a signing for now, that’s obvious. Garrity is a serviceable back up and possible step up. Can’t sign 8 smiths for defence, 8 conlons for midfield and 4 Rodneys for strikers, there’s going to be a mix of talents and that will be reflected by who is actually fir

Lol no thanks I wouldnt want 8 of either of them 2 and definitely not 4 Rodney's he needs to improve ten fold .

Do not mind 2 conlons though and Smith well if we want promotion of which he as never being part of a team who would ever challenge the top sides in this division (up to yet proven seasonally to be bang average nothing more )then a squad emergency player is how I'd use him personally yes he performs well for himself sometimes but doesn't seem a  team player to me never has let the truth be told .

Not like we would have paid much for the players so they are a gamble but not expensive ones a gamble is paying 12 million for a striker on about 23 grand a week and he according to there fans is dire (Sam Vokes although i do not really know how much he is on but good money for not a good return ).

A player at one club can be so so but at another with encouragement from all support can be something else ,lets not make new players not feel wanted it's a new beginning we no longer have Popey to save us we have to grow and bring a brand of football that as the ones who attend telling folk who no longer attend there is gems at Vale you ought see this players level of  performance is excellent , so every game there are more newcomers to the ground so if on sat say the 21st of Aug v Swindon at home there are 5780 home fans present and the team are outstanding and word spreads then v Tranmere 28th Aug there 6150 home fans there do you get my drift .

So lets hope there performance levels are consistently high then more folk will part with there coin .

UTV

That the team i expect Clark to be building and if he can sell a few on for millions great .

Lol no thanks I wouldnt want 8 of either of them 2 and definitely not 4 Rodney's he needs to improve ten fold .
Do not mind 2 conlons though and Smith well if we want promotion of which he as never being part of a team who would ever challenge the top sides in this division (up to yet proven seasonally to be bang average nothing more )then a squad emergency player is how I'd use him personally yes he performs well for himself sometimes but doesn't seem a  team player to me never has let the truth be told .
Not like we would have paid much for the players so they are a gamble but not expensive ones a gamble is paying 12 million for a striker on about 23 grand a week and he according to there fans is dire (Sam Vokes although i do not really know how much he is on but good money for not a good return ).
A player at one club can be so so but at another with encouragement from all support can be something else ,lets not make new players not feel wanted it's a new beginning we no longer have Popey to save us we have to grow and bring a brand of football that as the ones who attend telling folk who no longer attend there is gems at Vale you ought see this players level of  performance is excellent , so every game there are more newcomers to the ground so if on sat say the 21st of Aug v Swindon at home there are 5780 home fans present and the team are outstanding and word spreads then v Tranmere 28th Aug there 6150 home fans there do you get my drift .
So lets hope there performance levels are consistently high then more folk will part with there coin .
UTV
That the team i expect Clark to be building and if he can sell a few on for millions great .

A player who scored 11 last season needs to improve tenfold? So 110 goals a season needed?High standards you have VFIA

Archived