onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Advert

21 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Didn’t know we were back training 

Unfortunately for players nowadays there is no close season.... especially if you have something to prove... report into physio... get ya stats done as a baseline... then a bit of electronic wizardly on ya wrist and off ya go monitored every day report back at the end of the week for a progress check... apparently Burgess is tuning in some Olympic standard 10k runs. All differ t now to my day .... and Tommy mac s day 😜

Cross my fingers the matrix has seen something that other people haven't. Feels like Whitehead 2.0 but this time we've paid a fee.

And before people shoot me down for "not seeing him play" I have friends that are oldham fans who can't believe he's managed to get a league club to take him on. Its all well and good spouting about Constantine, but in reality he's the exception not the rule.

Time will tell and hopefully they will be proven wrong, but the fact we've paid a fee for him given the limits to our budget and the amount of holes we need to fill in the first team seems wild.

I think the signings so far could play at League 1 level and have scope to improve with coaching. It seems to me that is exactly what is needed to get promoted from League 2 and with a stable team that doesn't need much further change secure a good position in League 1. 

So I too can regret Manny leaving. He did well relatively when he was in the team in his time at PV. But the fact is League 2 was a career high level for him and he was injury prone. I sense he was happy to go to Chesterfield and plough a furrow with a former coach in the National League. He could surprise me if Chesterfield get promoted!

30 minutes ago, Gallifreyan Valiant said:

Thing is we are going for a younger squad. We are going to have less experience.

I remember this ridiculously young Man Utd team playing Port Vale and knocking us out of the cup. Next year the ridiculously young team won the Premier League. 

4 hours ago, JRC said:

If you did a search for either player on here most comments on those 2 players would be positive.  Every player will have some fans who don't rate them. The comments on the Oldham website are quite universally negative. So while it is the nature of the internet for people to comment; there is a difference in the 2 scenarios.

Exactly and if a search was done for Whitehead the fans' comments on him would be in stark contrast to those on Conlon and Smith. The fans would be spot on as Whitehead hardly covered himself in glory anytime he appeared in a Vale shirt.

Having said that let's give the lad a chance to show what he can do, he certainly sounds confident and enthusiastic.

3 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Exactly and if a search was done for Whitehead the fans' comments on him would be in stark contrast to those on Conlon and Smith. The fans would be spot on as Whitehead hardly covered himself in glory anytime he appeared in a Vale shirt.

Having said that let's give the lad a chance to show what he can do, he certainly sounds confident and enthusiastic.

Whitehead was a player the previous manager had shoehorned into a squad that got promoted by an effective team system. But once called upon to be effective in an environment where individual expression of talent was needed alongside teamwork he simply didn't have it. A very limited player who can't take us where we want to go. 

42 minutes ago, Gallifreyan Valiant said:

Thing is we are going for a younger squad. We are going to have less experience.

The average age of the England squad is 24. Walker (25) has a decent amount of experience at this level for his age. Let's hope Garrity (24) is in the mould of Jamie Vardy and Ian Wright in terms of coming to the professional game late in his career and adapting quickly.

47 minutes ago, Warren said:

I think the signings so far could play at League 1 level and have scope to improve with coaching. It seems to me that is exactly what is needed to get promoted from League 2 and with a stable team that doesn't need much further change secure a good position in League 1. 

So I too can regret Manny leaving. He did well relatively when he was in the team in his time at PV. But the fact is League 2 was a career high level for him and he was injury prone. I sense he was happy to go to Chesterfield and plough a furrow with a former coach in the National League. He could surprise me if Chesterfield get promoted!

That’s <ovf censored> and you know it. 

28 minutes ago, CAVALIER said:

That’s <ovf censored> and you know it. 

Walker does have a bit of experience at League One, which Manny doesn't really have. But essentially it is <ovf censored> yes.

It is interesting that both players we have signed were out injured for months last season. Neither of their clubs wanted to keep them. Either DF and DC and RC3PO are playing a blinder. Or we are signing up more garbage

Archived