onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

5 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

My initial thought was that it feels very much like a cheap Neil Aspin/John Askey type signing. Coupled with the reviews from Oldham fans, I was a bit underwhelmed.

Clarke's got a decent record of picking up relatively unsung talent and bringing the players on.

Two examples - he signed Matty Taylor from Forest Green where he'd scored 3 goals in 27 games in the Conference and Clarke turned him into a 20-odd goal a season striker for Bristol Rovers. He transformed Wes McDonald at Walsall who'd played 20-odd games in four years for his four previous clubs and transformed him into a key first-team player.

He's not going to get every signing right, clearly, but I think it shows that on occasion he can take someone with a fairly unimpressive record elsewhere and transform him into a real asset for a team.

It may work, it may not in this case, but I'm happy with one or two "chancers" in the squad. As long as it's one or two gambles and not lots of them then I can't see it being a problem, and there's an awful lot more players to come in this summer yet.

Advert

5 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Hartlepool are at home to Bromley this Sunday. 

Then potentially 2 more games if they win that. 

So think if Johnson is a target then patience is the word . 

Also would promotion for Hartlepool change his thinking particularly if captain. 

It will make no difference at all if Hartlepool are promoted

8 minutes ago, philmpv said:
10 minutes ago, valeparklife said:
My initial thought was that it feels very much like a cheap Neil Aspin/John Askey type signing. Coupled with the reviews from Oldham fans, I was a bit underwhelmed.
However, I'll remain positive until I've seen him play a few times.
Midfields are all about balance. If we play with a 3, they need to offer different skills.
A midfield of 3 x Pirlo-types wouldn't work.
A midfield of 3 x Lampard-types wouldn't work.
A midfield of 3 x Jordan Henderson-types wouldn't work.
Etc
If Walker is going to be the defensive 'sitter', Conlon the playmaker, then maybe Garrity can be the 'legs' bombing around from box-to-box? The balance of that feels quite good?

How can you liken it to a 'cheap NA/JA type signing' when we've paid a fee for the guy?!

ie majority of career in non-league

25 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

As was a certain Mr Rodney 

Not to the same extent. Rodney is still only 23. Was 21 when signed. At that point he had played 45 times for Hartlepool, 19 times for Salford with a few non league loans where he had done well. 

Ben G? 29 appearances for a deeply underwhelming Oldham team where it appears he is jeered by fans. 

I am all for a quality over quantity approach..just need the quality to arrive. 

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but as I've said before, last season at Oldham up until his injury and 3 games before that he played consistently and someone has posted earlier, he was rated 4th best in the team overall. He was moved from CM to DM to AM, seemed to play a lot of games as an attacking midfielder, maybe he prefers to sit a little deeper in the middle of the park.

I'll reserve judgment until I've seen him play a few games.

ie majority of career in non-league
Like Oyeleke, talentwise one of our best players for years. Or Hannant, who's just won promotion? Talent is what matters at this level, not how many games you've played. If a players got the talent that's a very good starting point. Much rather that than a player with 300 league games all at L2 in crap teams myself. Extreme example but Jamie Vardy was in non league until he was 25

I trust Darrell to sign the right players. Who we need in the positions we need to fill with enough quality to compliment who we already have. It really is as simple as that for me.

welcome Ben, you won’t see another 81 goals go in your net next season.

Archived