onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Advert

Just now, TJHValiant said:

Doesn’t look too different from the sort of player we have been buying in recent years. He hardly screams quality and does not seem to have done that well at Oldham. 29 pro appearances at 24? 

Seems very unproven. 

As was a certain Mr Rodney 

5 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Oldham fans are not complimentary at all... very bad in fact.

BUT... There are plenty of examples of loan players doing nothing in their first full run out for a team and them developing and becoming good players. Shodipo at QPR stands out as one example who was pants for us, then went on to pay for QPR in the championship and scored 10 goals at Oxford in league 1 last year.

There's loads of factors involved IMO.

Oldham are being linked with Luke Joyce because they lacked a defensive midfielder and shipped lots of goals. If that's the case then that's not going to have helped their perception of Garrity last season.

You can imagine it won't look great if there's no cover behind a box-to-box midfielder and he breaks forward and the opposition then clear into acres of space. 

Anyhow, whatever the reasons, there have been plenty of players not rated by other clubs who have done well for us. I don't really care what he has done for Oldham or any other club, it's what he can offer in a Vale shirt that's most important.

3 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Seems some sort of cult figure at Blackpool judging by the tweets.

Welcome lad and let's face it who takes any note of Oldham fans opinions. Not me .

I think they're just taking the plss tbh mate. 

2 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Doesn’t look too different from the sort of player we have been buying in recent years. He hardly screams quality and does not seem to have done that well at Oldham. 29 pro appearances at 24? 

Seems very unproven. 

I think there's always going to be a mixture. We're two signings into a major rebuild and there's always going to be a mixture of players in terms of experience, age, potential and so on. It's how the entire squad balances out at the end of the exercise that matters.

I'd much rather unproven but thought good enough by both DC and DF than proven but average/crap at best, which is largely all we've signed for 4 years. Last season was his first experience of league football, having been bought on potential by a higher league club. That's enough for me to get behind the lad.

Seems very unproven. 

My initial thought was that it feels very much like a cheap Neil Aspin/John Askey type signing. Coupled with the reviews from Oldham fans, I was a bit underwhelmed.

However, I'll remain positive until I've seen him play a few times.

Midfields are all about balance. If we play with a 3, they need to offer different skills.

A midfield of 3 x Pirlo-types wouldn't work.

A midfield of 3 x Lampard-types wouldn't work.

A midfield of 3 x Jordan Henderson-types wouldn't work.

Etc

If Walker is going to be the defensive 'sitter', Conlon the playmaker, then maybe Garrity can be the 'legs' bombing around from box-to-box? The balance of that feels quite good?

My initial thought was that it feels very much like a cheap Neil Aspin/John Askey type signing. Coupled with the reviews from Oldham fans, I was a bit underwhelmed.
However, I'll remain positive until I've seen him play a few times.
Midfields are all about balance. If we play with a 3, they need to offer different skills.
A midfield of 3 x Pirlo-types wouldn't work.
A midfield of 3 x Lampard-types wouldn't work.
A midfield of 3 x Jordan Henderson-types wouldn't work.
Etc
If Walker is going to be the defensive 'sitter', Conlon the playmaker, then maybe Garrity can be the 'legs' bombing around from box-to-box? The balance of that feels quite good?
How can you liken it to a 'cheap NA/JA type signing' when we've paid a fee for the guy?!

Archived