onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

The thing that stood out for me about his injury was Walker's comment that "the ligaments in my ankle, I did near enough every single one of them" - I know f-all about it, but that seems about as bad as it gets for that injury?

Clarke and Flitcroft must have thoroughly tested it by having Walker running up and down stairs all day, taking tea and biscuits to them in the "war room"! (or whatever they're calling it)

Incidentally, I've got an image of this room with a big table in the middle that has the layout of a pitch, and them pushing subbuteo players around into different positions with a long stick, saying stuff like "Devante, we want you to advance as quickly as possible to the Eastern Front......and then in the 2nd half to the Western Front" (all while Saving Private Ryan plays on loop on a huge projector!)

.......wonder if the new away kit will be camouflage?!

War-Room.jpg

Advert

30 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

Unofficial vale (I know) hinting that we are in for Ryan Johnson from Hartlepool and Josh Gordon.

In fairness Ryan Johnson is a rumour I have heard too. The Josh Gordon rumour strikes me as someone lazily putting two and two together given he's local and used to play for DC, however there could be something in it.

Johnson was pretty key for Hartlepool last year and is only 24.

Kidderminster fans are not effusive in their praise regarding him, but Johnson was signed with low expectations at Pool and has really surprised, with him being in contention for their player of the season according to the manager. 

He featured as captain which, for a young lad who had only been there a season, suggest he's of good character. Spent time at Spurs and Norwich on trial when at Stevenage. Seems to have improved the more he plays - the exact type of player we need. A U21 international with NI and Stevenage's youngest ever player so maybe has not quite lived up to potential but needed a steady run of games and a 2-3 year deal with us could give him the EFL platform to really settle down.

Pool Manager on Johnson being a stand-in captain:

Jonno has improved from the start of the season, he's been brilliant. There's been a real consistency to his performances, whether he's been on the left hand side or in the middle... It (giving him the captaincy) has worked out for us tonight.

Walker, Johnson, and Gordon would be a fairly steady start to business, all of the right age and profile. 

6 minutes ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

The thing that stood out for me about his injury was Walker's comment that "the ligaments in my ankle, I did near enough every single one of them" - I know f-all about it, but that seems about as bad as it gets for that injury?

I'm not a medical person, not sure if anyone of us are, but from what I understand each injury and each player is unique.

Broadly we can say "player has picked up x injury so should be missing for 3-6 weeks". It really takes a medical examination from a professional to make proper judgements over whether a player can reasonably be expected to stay fit all season. Then of course even then they can't predict the future, bad luck and unexpected events.

As we are not qualified we can only make best guesses from past performance. Saying Nathan Smith will play more games than Manny next season would be a very reasonable assumption, but it still would be just an assumption.

40 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

I dont know of Ryan Johnson... I can see he is a 24yr old Defender who stands 6ft 2 and scored 5 goals last year for Hartlepool.

Is he a centre half?

Surely that one would depend on whether Hartlepool get promoted?

I think this is the one:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Johnson_(footballer,_born_1996)

Started with the Baggies and, in his earlier career, despite not managing to nail down a starting place at Stevenage, he attracted a lot of interest from premier clubs including Spurs and Norwich. He also turned out for Northern Ireland U21s. It all came nothing however and he washed up at Hartlepool. 

Still only 24 and with hardly any injuries in sight, he looks to be settled and starting to show his potential.

Could be a promising centre back signing for us, certainly in the right age bracket. 

16 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

https://www.harrogateadvertiser.co.uk/sport/football/harrogate-towns-202021-loan-stars-will-not-return-to-the-club-3259411

Seems like Dan Jones has turned Harrogate down. Must have something lined up elsewhere? 👀

“We thank Dan for all his efforts while he was here. I like him a lot and we did speak about a deal at one point,” he added.

“But, both parties said that we wanted to have a look around and see what else was out there.

"There’s no animosity or anything like that, we’ve parted on good terms, however I want to find a left-back who really wants to play for Harrogate Town.” 

You didn't dump me, I dumped you!

43 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

I think this is the one:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Johnson_(footballer,_born_1996)

Started with the Baggies and, in his earlier career, despite not managing to nail down a starting place at Stevenage, he attracted a lot of interest from premier clubs including Spurs and Norwich. He also turned out for Northern Ireland U21s. It all came nothing however and he washed up at Hartlepool. 

Still only 24 and with hardly any injuries in sight, he looks to be settled and starting to show his potential.

Could be a promising centre back signing for us, certainly in the right age bracket. 

Bit of research from when he signed for Hartlepool... He plays left sided CB and can also play LB

2 hours ago, Walka003 said:

I had a look at the shrews forums, and while no one was particularly devastated that he left, pre announcement there was a decent number of there fans wanting him resigned.

We've replaced a 33 year old who didn't have his best season last year, with a 25 year old who fans of a team in the league above were hoping to keep hold of. Mind boggling the mentality of some vale fans to moan about a signing like this.

There is a rumour that Luke Joyce is going to Oldham, so we may see him next year...

19 minutes ago, robf said:

Good luck to him, his praise for the club, owners and manager said a lot about him considering he had been let go. I think  he would have been a tough one for Clarke to decide to have him move on. 

To be a professional footballer, the length of time at a club can have so many variables. With Joyce, Clarke decided now was the time to be cut-throat and keep the very best. As the article above has said, Oldham conceded a huge amount last season and Joyce's stats sitting in front of the defence was one of the best in the league. He would do a solid job for them.

Archived