onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

11 hours ago, JRC said:

The perfect player doesn't exist in any position in league 2. The manager's job is to decide what he wants players to be good at in each position.  Pullis did well at times with 4 centrehalves.  

I'd agree you can't judge the quality of a player on a single game. I think you can get a feel for what a players instincts are in different situations. For me IF we go down the 352 route I'd want someone in the wingback role whose inclination is to get outside the fullback. Jones didn't look to do that. Whether he is a good fullback I don't really know but to me he looked very much someone who can play fullback as opposed to being a wingback; which are 2 slightly different positions. 

I've played left back & wing-back all my life. Although I never quite made it professionally, I've a good understanding of both positions.

I agree they are 2 very different roles. Left back gives you the ability to see the whole pitch, pick your head up & pick a pass. You are on the pitch primarily to defend but can progress forward when possible. You get a lot of time on the ball.

Wing back is much more intense & you've obviously got to be up and down. You need to be getting crosses into the box and posing an attacking threat as well as keeping an eye on things at the back.

If you're fit and you have a good left foot (I'm lead to believe he has a wand of a left foot) then you can do either role. Every player will always have a preference. I do think people are underestimating the throw as well. At league 2 level it could prove very very handy to have as an option.

Advert

Saw James Wilson as a schoolboy playing two years above his age group,he was a one man team left,right footed he moved like a gazelle and was head and shoulders above anyone on the pitch. Was picked up by United not long after, a natural you don't lose that. 

2 minutes ago, samspoons said:

Saw James Wilson as a schoolboy playing two years above his age group,he was a one man team left,right footed he moved like a gazelle and was head and shoulders above anyone on the pitch. Was picked up by United not long after, a natural you don't lose that. 

There has got to be a player in there and 9 in 29 for salford shows that,it's just about getting him over his injuries and getting the best out of him and for me the manager who can do that could get the benefits,so if it is true and if he does choose us then maybe also being a local lad could help him as well

It must be difficult for a lad who was a supposed super star of the future to now be scratching around in league two. But if he can get his mind adjusted to the fact that he needs to knuckle down and start again I'm sure with the right guidance effort and application he would be a great asset

1 hour ago, ValeForever. said:

I've played left back & wing-back all my life. Although I never quite made it professionally, I've a good understanding of both positions.

I agree they are 2 very different roles. Left back gives you the ability to see the whole pitch, pick your head up & pick a pass. You are on the pitch primarily to defend but can progress forward when possible. You get a lot of time on the ball.

Wing back is much more intense & you've obviously got to be up and down. You need to be getting crosses into the box and posing an attacking threat as well as keeping an eye on things at the back.

If you're fit and you have a good left foot (I'm lead to believe he has a wand of a left foot) then you can do either role. Every player will always have a preference. I do think people are underestimating the throw as well. At league 2 level it could prove very very handy to have as an option.

Agree with the analysis.  The only thing I'd add at EFL level is as well as fit you need to be above average speed. The pitches are bigger and you need to be able to get back quickly. You can get away with not being particularly quick at fullback not so easily at wingback.

Agree with the analysis.  The only thing I'd add at EFL level is as well as fit you need to be above average speed. The pitches are bigger and you need to be able to get back quickly. You can get away with not being particularly quick at fullback not so easily at wingback.
And Sproson thought Usain Crookes had it all

2 hours ago, werstayinup said:

There has got to be a player in there and 9 in 29 for salford shows that,it's just about getting him over his injuries and getting the best out of him and for me the manager who can do that could get the benefits,so if it is true and if he does choose us then maybe also being a local lad could help him as well

Forget the goals. When watching brief highlights every week he did seem to impress in his play. His goal record is ok too.

What we dont know, as with almost every player, does he want it enough. He is local but the Vale might be the last club he wants to come to. He must have made decent money so far in his career but if he has lived up to his wage and spent it then he will go for the highest offer probably.

If he comes and has had better offers elsewhere then we might be onto something. He is skillful and he is a 'footballer '. Tom Conlon is a ' footballer '

11 minutes ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Forget the goals. When watching brief highlights every week he did seem to impress in his play. His goal record is ok too.

What we dont know, as with almost every player, does he want it enough. He is local but the Vale might be the last club he wants to come to. He must have made decent money so far in his career but if he has lived up to his wage and spent it then he will go for the highest offer probably.

If he comes and has had better offers elsewhere then we might be onto something. He is skillful and he is a 'footballer '. Tom Conlon is a ' footballer '

He could certainly do a job for us thats for sure

I wouldn't be disappointed if he came to Vale

He’s been at a few clubs in recent years and never really settled and played a decent amount games, but he’s surely got something about him and he’s quick and a good build and hopefully if we did sign him we could finally be the club for him when everything clicks and he scores goals. I’d be happy with him. He’s a million miles better than Cullen and Guthrie and Robinson. 

4 hours ago, darren1810 said:

This guy might be totally out of our league but I'll throw him out there .

I'd imagine too good for League 2, George Moncur freed by Luton. 

Was hell of a player at Colchester albeit a few years back 

Liked him at Colchester as you say but i do think apart from wages he will end up at a top end league 1 team if not lower championship side.

He was at West Ham and he is the type of player you want to drop on when getting a released player or loan player,DC said any loan player will be one where we have a chance of a permanent deal at the end of it which makes total sense to me

Archived