onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

2 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Looking back through his career he has only really been used as a left back... He's described as one all the way back when he signs for Grimsby, and he made the team of the season in the vanarama league at left back for Barrow.

If he has played the odd game at Centre Half then it does provide a bit of injury cover and flexibility which is only a positive.

Nice write up in that team of the year article too:

Left-back: Dan Jones (Barrow)
During a rather inconsistent season for Barrow, Dan Jones has shone again for the Bluebirds. The wing-back epitomises the famous “wand of a left-foot” expression in football, with deadly deliveries in the attacking third of the pitch. With performances rewarded with England C recognition, Jones’ reputation continues to grow.

A sign DC wants to be able to utilise 352 again; good. Better than 433 or bust.

Advert

Dan Jones makes a lot of sense. Decent little left back with the added bonus that he has a colossal throw in on him, which I think Clarke will love to have as an option.

Anyone who saw the game at Harrogate will know what I'm talking about. Think Leon Legge, mark 100!

7 minutes ago, ValeForever. said:

Dan Jones makes a lot of sense. Decent little left back with the added bonus that he has a colossal throw in on him, which I think Clarke will love to have as an option.

Anyone who saw the game at Harrogate will know what I'm talking about. Think Leon Legge, mark 100!

I really hate the long throw tactic - personally wouldn't mind if it was banned. 

Teams getting throw ins anywhere in the opponents half launching throws into the area - not eactly football or good to watch 

Just now, osprey said:

Teams getting throw ins anywhere in the opponents half launching throws into the area - not eactly football or good to watch 

unless you score a lot minute winner or secure promotion using a long throw.

5 minutes ago, osprey said:

I really hate the long throw tactic - personally wouldn't mind if it was banned. 

It's a great weapon to have when you're chasing a goal. Lots of goals at League 2 level come from set pieces. Them lot down the road secured Premier league safety with it!

I think it's something Clarke will utilise. We saw with Legge from the moment Clarke came in, he was on almost every throw in & around final 3rd.

20 minutes ago, ValeForever. said:

He's not little he's over 6 foot. In the Harrogate game there was scant evidence he's a fullback who overlaps. His distribution was ok. If you were to blame snyone for Worrall's goal it was his positioning. He certainly didn't look like a natural wingback, more a defender first and foremost.

It's no different from a player simply launching the ball forward into the area from the back or the half way line, or from a free kick. Strange view imho

22 minutes ago, JRC said:

He's not little he's over 6 foot. In the Harrogate game there was scant evidence he's a fullback who overlaps. His distribution was ok. If you were to blame snyone for Worrall's goal it was his positioning. He certainly didn't look like a natural wingback, more a defender first and foremost.

So a left-sided defender in a back three perhaps? With the option to fill in as left-back when needed. 

I really don't think he will. He used it last season as a necessity given how pants we were in defence. I can see us using 442 or 4231 mostly next season when with his own squad we'll hopefully be a lot better creatively through the middle and actually be able to take the game to the oppo.

2 minutes ago, robf said:

So a left-sided defender in a back three perhaps? With the option to fill in as left-back when needed. 

For me if there is any truth in this rumour, yes. You look at fullbacks and most either wanted to be centrehalves; or wanted to be wingers. The way he played against us he looked very much the former. I'm fairly certain he never overlapped once and they were dominant in the first half of that game. He also didn't look that quick, which can be a problem for leftbacks at Vale Park. He may well be fine at leftback in a flat back 4; if Clarke wants a back 3 I really can't see anything in his performance against us to think he would do well as a left wingback. The curse of being relatively short for a centrehalf and left footed is teams are always struggling to find leftbacks at this level, so they often get pushed out there. He certainly looked a lot more like a Crookes type leftback than a Montano.

14 minutes ago, philmpv said:
1 hour ago, Joe B said:

I really don't think he will. He used it last season as a necessity given how pants we were in defence. I can see us using 442 or 4231 mostly next season when with his own squad we'll hopefully be a lot better creatively through the middle and actually be able to take the game to the oppo.

I didn't mean all the time; just he mentions tactical flexbility and being able to have different game plans for different matches. Jones would offer the option of a wing back system, which could be useful in big games.

Askey bought to suit one system and the team looked awful when he was forced to deviate.

To be fair, last season for most of it they looked just as awful when playing 433!

I didn't mean all the time; just he mentions tactical flexbility and being able to have different game plans for different matches. Jones would offer the option of a wing back system, which could be useful in big games.
Askey bought to suit one system and the team looked awful when he was forced to deviate.

11 minutes ago, JRC said:

For me if there is any truth in this rumour, yes. You look at fullbacks and most either wanted to be centrehalves; or wanted to be wingers. The way he played against us he looked very much the former. I'm fairly certain he never overlapped once and they were dominant in the first half of that game. He also didn't look that quick, which can be a problem for leftbacks at Vale Park. He may well be fine at leftback in a flat back 4; if Clarke wants a back 3 I really can't see anything in his performance against us to think he would do well as a left wingback. The curse of being relatively short for a centrehalf and left footed is teams are always struggling to find leftbacks at this level, so they often get pushed out there. He certainly looked a lot more like a Crookes type leftback than a Montano.

My preferred centre halves come in two styles. Firstly white, bald and six foot six. Second, black, big afro and six foot six. I think the six foot six bit is important if we have Smith as the partner in a back four. 

1 hour ago, ValeForever. said:

It's a great weapon to have when you're chasing a goal. Lots of goals at League 2 level come from set pieces. Them lot down the road secured Premier league safety with it!

I think it's something Clarke will utilise. We saw with Legge from the moment Clarke came in, he was on almost every throw in & around final 3rd.

Well we’ve certainly had some weapons, playing for us.

1 hour ago, philmpv said:
2 hours ago, Joe B said:

Think that’s right - in his last blistering post-match interview DC made the point that he was playing 532 only because of the personnel available. Now he has the chance to build his own squad, I think he will stick with a back four, which implies Legge’s appearances may be more limited than we may think. Then he has any number of options with Conlon, Taylor, Wozza and Devante plus new strikers up front. It’s going to be an interesting and, hopefully, exciting summer. 

Still can’t get used to this optimism bit! 

Archived