onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Advert

On 21/05/2021 at 08:19, Bald Eagle said:

So that 1 out of 15 snapped up then! 

Monty said he’d spoken to Clarke about Livingston interest / offer.  Maybe we were going to make him an offer, but that was inferior in terms of value / length of contract.

I am a fan of Montys and would have preferred him to stay, but I would have been loathe to offer a 2 year deal with an option for a 3rd.

Aside from him I may have kept Brisley, but he is probably a victim of Legge and Smith already being under contract, and to inject fresh blood into that position someone needed to go.

When Monty first played left back he had no awareness and he was getting caught in a void. But he worked hard and learned the position and he can tackle effectively. So actually I'm struggling to believe we will sign anyone better at left back. I would have kept him and been prepared to give him the length of contract given to others. What may have snookered him is his injury record and games played as a percentage of the total. If that isn't good enough for the manager; well guess I have to accept the argument.

Great signing to keep Conlon. Need to get Taylor functioning and that's the attacking midfield sorted? I can see a strategy here - players on medium term contracts who can grow as a team with developed understanding and progress well up the League 1 table eventually? But giving players coming in long enough contracts to do that carries more risk. 

30 minutes ago, dishydave said:

There doesn't seem to be any stand out goalkeepers released by other clubs to replace brown

Patience mate.  There are still a lot of clubs who have yet to officially announce the retained list, plus there could be some interesting loans available.If we play a more out of the back next season don't be surprise if we get a young kid in on loan from a Prem/Championship club like Cheltenham did this season.  Lots of conversations will be taking place behind the closed doors with agents, players and managers with I'm Flickers working flat out selling the PVFC promotion dream.

The signing of Conlon on a long term deal is also something DC and Flickers can use to demonstrate seriousness to potential signings... it shows they are willing to invest and build a team not just strip it for parts like Gorm would have done!

3 hours ago, JRC said:

Matthews has never been a first choice keeper for a whole season. I know very little about him. There's nothing in his record to suggest he is better than what we had. Nicholls is, allegedly, about to sign for Huddersfield.

19/20 season he was a virtual ever present for Bolton. 

I don't understand the fuss about Brown. He was a good keeper but older than you'd like, not at the same level this season as last and on decent money (apparantly). Long term, he's declining rather than improving. He was an excellent player but so were Beckford, Earle and Guppy, but I wouldn't have any of them in the starting 11 next season.

We move on, trust Clarke to bring in someone better, younger and cheaper who will be here for a numbee of years.

Archived