onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Previous squad size - 32 (ignoring an additional 4 youth players who we don't know the contract status of)

Released - 15 

Loans sent back - 2 

Listed - 3

Gone mid season - 3

23 out altogether leaves the 9 retained.

He said he wants a squad of around 25. 

Again ignoring the unknown quantity that is the youth set up, just considering senior players, the current line up is 

GK - 0

LB - 0
CB - 2
RB - 1

LM - 2
CM - 2
RM - 2

FW - 1

Advert

We will need at a minimum

2 GK
2 LB
1 CB
1 RB
1 CM 
3 FW

That's 10.

Realistically bringing in 2 more CBs and 3 more midfielders, will with 15 signings leave us, just considering senior players, looking like this

2 GK
2 LB
2 RB
4 CB
9 MF altogether
4 FW

That's a reasonable looking squad bearing in mind players at this level can usually be pretty capable utility wise. Worrall can play L/C/R no problem for example. Amoo switches to the left and Rodney has been used extensively there too. Smith has shown he can do a job at full back if forced through injury. They're not all fixed in position. Again this is ignoring youth players, and loans, for whom our squad cap restrictions and costbase is a bit more of a grey area. Who's to say we won't sign an additional couple of U21 Champ/Premier league loans later on or in Jan to top up the proper squad who don't count towards the cap (FA Rule 43.9.2) and who are getting most if not all of their wage paid by the parent club? Is it really that pressing that we get those sorts of deals over the line in mid to late May?

Quality over quantity, particularly with the millstone of permanent signings. We've had ridiculously big squads for years. The relegation squad in 2017 had 49 players in it!!! 

All the revenue stays in the club now. No more splitting assets. More budget spread thicker on a leaner squad instead of signing load and loads and loads and loads of dossers and dwads on less money each. 

We also need to bear this in mind unless the PFA legal challenge gets it overturned - 

43.9.1  Clubs shall be permitted to name up to a maximum number of Players in their Squad
List based on the following provisions:
(b)  in respect of League One and Two Clubs:
(ii) in Season 2021/22 and each subsequent Season, 20 Players of which a minimum of 8 must be a Home Grown Player.

43.9.2  The following Players do not need to be included in the Squad List to be eligible to play in League Matches:
(b)  in respect of League One Clubs and League Two Clubs, any Under 21 Players.

An account started 5 days ago with 33 followers so obviously dead reliable.

But as this is a daft transfer rumour thread - 29 yo CM/RM who some of their fans have called their best player.

4 hours ago, Doha said:

I think you're getting a teensy bit hysterical mate. They've only just played the first leg of the play offs. Non-league doesn't even finish the normal season until next Saturday.

We won't be signing >15 either. Clarke made no secret of his opinion that the previous squad was far too big.  

No hysterics, only concern that a) we sign the quality of player required and b) we don't leave it too long so as to be scrabbling around for players to make up numbers just before the season commences.

Isn't squad size  limited to a maximum of 22 anyway in Leagues 1 & 2?  Even allowing for that, how many players do we have currently under contract?  Twelve I think you'll find, of whom 3 are on the transfer list, so by my maths that still makes a requirement of at least 12 signings unless they're planning to run with a squad so small that injuries will be a worrying factor for parts of the season when more than a couple of players are out with injuries/suspensions.  The clock is ticking.........my fingers are crossed.........And this is definitely one situation where I hope to be proven totally wrong, so let's wait & see.

On 21/05/2021 at 10:23, SFBT said:

No idea how you work that out, but anything that gets the action closer to the Railway is welcomed.

Looking forward to the day that it's rebuilt. Closer to the pitch and with a much steeper rake.

Perhaps because DC said something like "I like a wide pitch...but no use at the moment as we don't have the athletes"?

1 hour ago, Doha said:

An account started 5 days ago with 33 followers so obviously dead reliable.

But as this is a daft transfer rumour thread - 29 yo CM/RM who some of their fans have called their best player.

The last midfielder we had from stevenage conlon turned out be good. Regarding stevenage as much as I hate to say it I think there the dark horses for the play offs next season.

5 hours ago, Bycarsbill said:

Apologies....around 3 a week of course--abacus malfunction.  Now exactly 40 days until the first pre-season game--so it will still be some going to replace 15 to 18 players in that time whatever the average number of signings per week is. And, as you're the mathematician, you will know that as every non-signing day goes by the average required per week will increase!

I would expect around 10 players to join us - certainly don't need as many replacements as those we've let go - so...2 a week? We've been known to sign 3 over a couple of days. 

1 hour ago, Andy Proctor said:

The last midfielder we had from stevenage conlon turned out be good. Regarding stevenage as much as I hate to say it I think there the dark horses for the play offs next season.

The job Revell did went pretty unnoticed. Basically spared non league by the Macclesfield debacle to safety with ease the season after . 

I still can't shake off the Westley days out of my head but in reality they are nothing like that any more.

Good club house is one redeeming feature I'll let them off with. 

2 hours ago, Andy Proctor said:

I hope not but they have just signed Exeter’s captain, which looks pretty good business to me. 

On 17/05/2021 at 22:27, Iron Curtain said:

Their fans are shocked he has been released... started the season as backup but came in once their other keeper got injured and “played a big part in their promotion”

Good shot stopper but let’s himself down a little on crosses are the other comments!

After today’s article I love the fact that this doesn’t just go to one man’s desk to decide... stick his name up in the analysis war room and let him be debated! Love it

you name me a keeper in league 2 that is great at coming for crosses. you normally see the cb head it out. only time keepers come for it is when they get brave in last few minutes holding on to a lead and try ease pressure. brown had the luxury of the likes of smith, brisley and legge to attack the ball so never really needed to come for crosses. great shot stopper though. 

29 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Great to read Gibbo's interview about how the players have faith in DC and Flickers to build a squad to challenge. 

He also talks about DCs man management skills and how much confidence he has given him.

I suppose those who have resigned and are part of managers plans will always give glowing review. Looking forward to next season as not expecting more of of the same.

4 hours ago, The man in the pub said:

I suppose those who have resigned and are part of managers plans will always give glowing review.

A hyphen changes resign to re-sign. The word flips from meaning one thing to the complete opposite.

Funny old language English.

Archived