onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

1 hour ago, gavcradd said:

I have no issue about the clearout, with the exception of Brisley. He hardly had a chance under Askey yet came into Clarke's back 3 alongside Smith and Legge and did exceptionally well, keeping numerous clean sheets. He also surely wouldn't have been on massive wages. He worked his socks off based on Clarke's promise to judge every one with a clean slate, did everything asked of him and still got released.

It's not that I think Brisley is an exceptional player, but as a person, he's been treated shockingly. 

Everyone else released was a combination of past it, expensive or crap. 

I agree that Brisley was the closest I would come to offering anyone a new contract, if Vale could have worked out a cheap back up contract. But once Legge is triggered to stay it becomes more complicated. It was more a case never being the right player at the right time in the right position, rather than being treated unfairly. Great pro though it seems.

Advert

1 hour ago, 1 said:

That looks more than end of season maintenance. Pitch widening?

No idea how you work that out, but anything that gets the action closer to the Railway is welcomed.

Looking forward to the day that it's rebuilt. Closer to the pitch and with a much steeper rake.

18 hours ago, werstayinup said:

Not sure they will tbh could be many reasons why not.

Is DC away on a break? that could be a reason,you dont need him there to sign them but he might want to be there when they get announced,we haven't heard off DC for over a week now in the media and thats unusual so thats what makes me think he is away,

According to Colin Garlick in The Sentinel, Messrs Flitcroft & Clarke are busy closseted in a room at Vale Park as we write, analysing, planning and talking about possible signings.

Looking at this from a positive stance, it all sounds briliantly well-planned.  Or, taking a more jaundiced view, shouldn't a lot of this work have been done weeks ago before they jettisoned a team and a half?

Ending positively, let's hope that it is the former situation and not the latter--despite my postings possibly giving a different impression, I really do want to be optimistic, so let's keep everything crossed that all this planning pays off!

5 minutes ago, Bycarsbill said:

Or, taking a more jaundiced view, shouldn't a lot of this work have been done weeks ago before they jettisoned a team and a half?

I don't really understand this bit... how could they assess the available players weeks ago when they didn't now the retained lists of all the clubs?

According to Colin Garlick in The Sentinel, Messrs Flitcroft & Clarke are busy closseted in a room at Vale Park as we write, analysing, planning and talking about possible signings.
Looking at this from a positive stance, it all sounds briliantly well-planned.  Or, taking a more jaundiced view, shouldn't a lot of this work have been done weeks ago before they jettisoned a team and a half?
Ending positively, let's hope that it is the former situation and not the latter--despite my postings possibly giving a different impression, I really do want to be optimistic, so let's keep everything crossed that all this planning pays off!
Yeah, unfortunately you can't really plan until you know who is available, so much of the assessment work will be happening now and once the playoffs finish.

12 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:
24 minutes ago, Bycarsbill said:

Yeah, unfortunately you can't really plan until you know who is available, so much of the assessment work will be happening now and once the playoffs finish.

they need an assistant!😃

50 minutes ago, Bycarsbill said:

Probably playing Championship Manager.

1 hour ago, Bycarsbill said:

They could have had a list of names, but they would still need to know who is re-signing and who was released and therefore available.

1 hour ago, leedsvaliant said:
1 hour ago, Bycarsbill said:

I would be very disappointed if they didn't know which players were out of contract some months ago. You only need to look on every fan forum to find a post discussing retained lists to find information.  One would hope we are targetting some of the better players at the smaller clubs who have been offered new contracts. Generally there is a reason for players not to be offered a contract. There are maybe a dozen players at most not offered contracts I would see as on a par, or better, than 3 or 4 we have released.

I would hope that at this stage it's more a case of looking at players wage expectations and trying to decide which offer the best value for money. Someone like Benning will have a lot of offers and be able to get a high wage. Does a better holding midfield player and a second choice leftback offer better value? He certainly won't get, nor be able to afford, his 15 first choice players. 

One would truely hope thay had a list of ,maybe, 40 potential signings before they announced their released list. 

I don't really understand this bit... how could they assess the available players weeks ago when they didn't now the retained lists of all the clubs?
I was struck by Nigel Clough's comment the other day "we've contacted all our targets for next season, and no one's said no yet".
It would seem some cubs are a bit further on in their recruitment process than others.

1 minute ago, The French Connection said:

I was struck by Nigel Clough's comment the other day "we've contacted all our targets for next season, and no one's said no yet".
It would seem some cubs are a bit further on in their recruitment process than others.

How do we know we haven't done that?

7 minutes ago, The French Connection said:

Not many players are going to say no if a club rings them up and shows interest. Keep options open etc.

Archived