onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

1 minute ago, Rocky said:

There is absolutely zero chance that Clarke would release so many players if he wasn't certain that they would be able to recruit better players this summer. Trust the process, trust the man who has done this before with success. I don't think they will drip feed signings. I think it will be 5 signings, statement of intent. Try and enjoy this moment, the speculation of who to sign, who we will get in. 

The post above about if clubs release players then why should we want them. One huge factor over the last 12 months has been COVID. We are in a really fortunate position that we have an owner who is thinking long term with the club and I believe we have a flexibility that other clubs don't. I don't mean more money when I say that. 

Also because clubs were so unsure about what was happening this past season, they were only really offering one year deals. Players joining the likes of Salford who probably thought they were a shoe-in for promotion find themselves at a club that fell shorter just don't fit in with the system they play. There are so many variables at play why a player is released.

I'm excited for the signings and for next season. I think it will be a slow start and DC will need some time for the team to gel but I back everything he has done over the last 2 weeks.

5 signings? 2 goalkeepers and 3 outfield players? I think we may need a few more than that. 18 is the normal size for a matchday squad and you need cover for injuries and suspensions... 🙂

Advert

5 signings? 2 goalkeepers and 3 outfield players? I think we may need a few more than that. 18 is the normal size for a matchday squad and you need cover for injuries and suspensions...
Stop being deliberately argumentative. You know very well he means 5 signings in one go, to be followed by more

22 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

How much did the good run after 7 defeats under Clarke have to do with the return of better players though? we will never know...

Probably a lot. Thanks to the horrible squad that the previous team put together. Luckily players like legge (who the previous management team froze out) Worrall and gibbo are signed up. Again we have kept our better players and released our poor players / players that are past their best. 

25 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

5 signings? 2 goalkeepers and 3 outfield players? I think we may need a few more than that. 18 is the normal size for a matchday squad and you need cover for injuries and suspensions... 🙂

🙄 I didn't realise I needed to hold your hand through that. I meant as an initial reveal, but you knew that. I see you.

EDIT: Just because RZ seems to take everything literally, I should point out when I said "I see you", I mean I see your agenda.

46 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

The squad was dross. It’s been proven to have been. I can’t see the negative. We have been desperate for a clear out for years. 

Do you really think we would have been better off keeping players who are already past it for another season to have us what just about scrape survival again? The likes of pope and Joyce are past it as shown this season. 

We have kept our best players. The ones to build the side around, smith, Worrall, Rodney and released players either blatantly not good enough (mills, Guthrie) or sadly past their best (pope, brown, Joyce) 

It can be difficult to get a squad to gel and probably will be but I fail to see how we can be any worse off than we would have been keeping the tried and failed players. 

You mention brown. The team clearly feel we can sign someone better as a starting player. He wasn’t great last season.... at all. I would have kept him as a number 2. Would that be viable, probably not. 

Not sure what Clarke has to do to impress you given the outstanding run we went on? Your first line is exactly what happened. We were dead and buried. We were going down under askey. I swear some on here just want us to do crap next season to say I told you so. 

I certainly don't want next season to be crap, having just bought a season ticket and travelling 120 miles to each home game. I'll show support every match day, but that doesn't mean just nodding along like a simpleton. I don't like what's happened with Pope. Or Brown. Massive squad turnover rarely works straight away. Those are just my thoughts. I agree that there was a lot of deadwood, but I think DC might be gambling a bit with his approach The way we as fans treated Askey shows how little loyalty there is in the game. He'll need results pretty quickly if he splashes the cash.

7 minutes ago, Moz said:

I certainly don't want next season to be crap, having just bought a season ticket and travelling 120 miles to each home game. I'll show support every match day, but that doesn't mean just nodding along like a simpleton. I don't like what's happened with Pope. Or Brown. Massive squad turnover rarely works straight away. Those are just my thoughts. I agree that there was a lot of deadwood, but I think DC might be gambling a bit with his approach The way we as fans treated Askey shows how little loyalty there is in the game. He'll need results pretty quickly if he splashes the cash.

We as fans treated asked? I’m sorry what exactly happened there? He did poor and fans wanted him sacked. Isn’t that what happens in football? 

I agree it’s usually a risk to have a large squad overhaul but not when we needed one. If we had kept the majority of them players I dread to think how poor we would have been next season. 

Just because brown and pope have been good and excellent players for us Dosent mean they should just get an extension for no reason. Both players aren’t what they were and you have to use your head over heart. I wouldn’t have minded either staying as 2nd choice for brown and 4th choice for pope. I doubt either would be happy with that and both would command too large of a wage for that. 

Look across the leagues, there has been a very large turnout from most sides. I agree if we spend the cash good things will be expected and I’m sure they all realise that as well. 

10 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Just because brown and pope have been good and excellent players for us Dosent mean they should just get an extension for no reason. Both players aren’t what they were and you have to use your head over heart. I wouldn’t have minded either staying as 2nd choice for brown and 4th choice for pope. I doubt either would be happy with that and both would command too large of a wage for that. 

I'd agree with that. For me, the issue under Askey was there was no "succession" approach. Arguably, he should have been bringing in competition and eventual replacements for the likes of Brown, Legge, Joyce, Pope etc a year ago but he failed to do so. For me, Visser wasn't the  right choice as back-up for Brown, the return of Legge coinciding with our good run shows there was no back-up for him, as Pope's effectiveness declined through age/injuries the overall goals dried up and one of the first things Clarke said was there was no back-up for Joyce. There was a huge over-reliance on some ageing players.

If there had been some players coming in to challenge the ageing core, it would have made sense to have some continuity but there isn't and the management team obviously decided that three of the four old hands are now too old. At the same time, the majority of the squad players Askey brought in to "challenge" the old uns were clearly not good enough too and needed to be got rid off (Fitzpatrick, Mills etc). Hence Clarke has cleared the decks.

The outcome of all this will become clear on the eve of the new season. If we have a younger, hungry, talented squad then it will have been worth it - if not, it won't. But clearly the Vale owners would not have employed Clarke and Flitcroft if they didn't trust them and I think, we, as fans, have to do the same. I don't think we're in any position to judge them until we see who they bring in and (before people start slating new signings straight away) until the new signings have played half a dozen games for us.

7 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Some posters on here really do need to get a grip. We’ve been desperate for a clear out for years. The squad hasn’t been good enough and we’ve just endured one of the worst years of football possible. (Other than that run at the end of the season which kept us in the football league). Every side is releasing a large number of players. Stop moaning that we have released players proven over the years blatantly not to be good enough or past their past.

Scott brown did well for us but he was nowhere near as good last season as he has been in the past. People were regularly moaning about him last season and at numerous points wanted him dropped for Scott. Now he’s released he is some kind of messiah. Same with visser!! He played what 2 games I doubt we will miss him! He’s been that kind of keeper at every club, won’t be difficult to replace. 

Clearly the reason for releasing brown is that we feel we can sign someone better?!?! On less or on more money and probably with more time left in their career. I’ve read RZ’s post and it’s daft. Why would we be looking to sign someone worse on less money? The line about keepers being put off signing for us because brown has been released is just a ridiculous notion. 1) how has he been mistreated? 2) why would that have any effect regardless. 3) he wasn’t mistreated, he was released as he isn’t as good as he used to be and wasn’t brilliant last season  

Just be patient and let the recruitment team do they’re job. I guarantee when we start to sign players the same few posters will have the daggers out ready to criticise players they’ve never actually seen player and say he’s not as good as Scott brown. Embarrassing. 

On the Brown front,DC likes a sweeper type goalkeeper,one who will come out and one who commands his area,people will find that whoever comes in can/will be one who does this.... scott Brown has been great for us but one part he lacks in and thats coming off his line

6 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Think back to 2016/17, we had more goalkeepers than strikers and only one was any good so Norm sold him and pocketed the cash. A reliable keeper is important, remember Ryan Boot at Crewe? DC has only got rid of Brown because he is too outspoken I suspect, DC wants yes men around him. 

Your ramblings really are getting even more bizarre,if you believe this then wow unbelievable

If you are after attention then silly posts like this will help you in that

5 hours ago, Vale1995 said:

Can i just ask are you actually a vale supporter? If so why are you writing off the new management team within a week of him saving us for looking like a certain relegation with a team full of non league players. Clarke has done a better job so far than any of us could of predicted before he came in at best i thought we could just get over the line and stay up with a game ot two remaining. We stayed up with ease however you have created a clear agenda that hes not doing a good job and that you dont like him or his management style at all. Why is that? What are you basing this agenda on?

RZ hasn't been happy for years( but we wont go back in to that),i will say yes he is a fan though

5 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I think I have said all along that I hope I am wrong but I admit I don't like the way Clarke does his business. I don't know John Askey actually. We used to complain that Micky Adams was an old fashioned manager and that he drove Sam Morsy away, I think Clarke is even more old fashioned in his attitude towards players and has released more important players than Sam Morsy. Time will tell...

Yet previous players and conlon a couple of days ago say his man management is superb....... you really would think they would know better than us.

Personally i think a lot of his methods are modern and fresh and for me he has been a breath of fresh air in the club. You say that DC wants yes men(and why not,if he does) lets be honest here i think our previous manager was a yes man to the players and the players dominated him,that will not be happening under DC thats for sure.

4 hours ago, Bycarsbill said:

Fair point, but I'm sure they will want to trumpet new signings as soon as they're finalised.

Not sure they will tbh could be many reasons why not.

Is DC away on a break? that could be a reason,you dont need him there to sign them but he might want to be there when they get announced,we haven't heard off DC for over a week now in the media and thats unusual so thats what makes me think he is away,

Archived