onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Advert

2 hours ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

I think the treatment of Visser may be more likely to dissaude players from joining us.

I don't understand where you are are coming from.  He got injured and couldn't contribute for several months, we picked up a free young lad to replace him as backup GK and subsequently replaced Visser with an outfield player who could contribute instead.This is just life as a sports pro in a team game. I don't see how we he have treated badly unless we didn't pay his contract or give him access to our sports injury rehab?

3 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I suspect we might struggle to get two goalkeepers after the way we treated Scott Brown. 

you're joking right?

There will be so many players out of a job next month that there will be a queue up Hamil Road. 

8 minutes ago, MBE said:

I don't understand where you are are coming from.  He got injured and couldn't contribute for several months, we picked up a free young lad to replace him as backup GK and subsequently replaced Visser with an outfield player who could contribute instead.This is just life as a sports pro in a team game. I don't see how we he have treated badly unless we didn't pay his contract or give him access to our sports injury rehab?

He's come in, played well when called upon in the Pizza (earning us a few quid along the way). Got injured due to stupid idea of playing rugby in training. Have we done anything wrong, no. Doesn't stop you feeling for the bloke.

One of Visser/Brown would have been fine to keep. Then we'd be looking for one not two keepers. There is ruthless and there is chucking out the baby out with the bath water.

34 minutes ago, MBE said:

How have they been treated differently to any other player in the country at the end of a contract and deemed surplus to requirements?

Brown has started all 46 league games this season and recently was involved in our unbeaten run. So he is reliable and a good goalkeeper. Are we going to get a better keeper for less money? If not why get rid of him? Or are we planning to save money by getting a poorer keeper for less money? Or worse, a poorer keeper for more money?

24 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Brown has started all 46 league games this season and recently was involved in our unbeaten run. So he is reliable and a good goalkeeper. Are we going to get a better keeper for less money? If not why get rid of him? Or are we planning to save money by getting a poorer keeper for less money? Or worse, a poorer keeper for more money?

Or maybe a better keeper on better money?  You do love a good old moan don't you, second guessing a professional manager and a director of football.  Let's just see what the experts come up with shall we, before we start speculating on ifs buts and maybes.  Are we planning to have bacon and eggs for breakfast?  Are we planning to paint the director's box magnolia?  We'll just have to wait and see.....

31 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Brown has started in all 46 league games and finished 13th (after finishing 8th and 18th). The concept that he's as good as we can get is a fallacy, borne out of the false narrative that he's the 'best in the league'.

Theo Robinson played every game in the unbeaten run but I daresay many on here are happy to see him on the transfer list. You can't taken an 8 game spell and ignore the other 38.

I find it remarkably short-sighted that some fans presume that Scott Brown will not decline any further. Each season since he arrived has been a tad worse, with a bit more hesitancy and unforced errors each year. He had a penchant of getting done from tight angles and sometimes looked a bit slow to get down to low efforts. 

The risk was that that decline continued and we were left with an expensive, declining, and underperforming keeper. That would immediately rule out any prayer of promotion. Surely the more sensible option is to reinvest his top-end wages on a keeper who we can safely assume will maintain a good level of goalkeeping? Possibly one with a more balanced skillset, as opposed to the outstanding reflexes but subpar cross claiming of Brown.

No idea what the love-in with Visser is all about. He's had as much impact as Trickett-Smith. Feel for him due to the nature of his injury but the bloke hasn't played a league game in England in two seasons. He's 31 and unlikely to get any better.

1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

One thing is for certain DC knows a lot more than u 

5 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I suspect we might struggle to get two goalkeepers after the way we treated Scott Brown. 

This has to be the daftest post ever on OVF congratulations Rampant for the knicker wetter of the week award

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

I find it remarkably short-sighted that some fans presume that Scott Brown will not decline any further. Each season since he arrived has been a tad worse, with a bit more hesitancy and unforced errors each year. He had a penchant of getting done from tight angles and sometimes looked a bit slow to get down to low efforts. 

The risk was that that decline continued and we were left with an expensive, declining, and underperforming keeper. That would immediately rule out any prayer of promotion. Surely the more sensible option is to reinvest his top-end wages on a keeper who we can safely assume will maintain a good level of goalkeeping? Possibly one with a more balanced skillset, as opposed to the outstanding reflexes but subpar cross claiming of Brown.

No idea what the love-in with Visser is all about. He's had as much impact as Trickett-Smith. Feel for him due to the nature of his injury but the bloke hasn't played a league game in England in two seasons. He's 31 and unlikely to get any better.

I don’t get the clamour for Visser either mate, a couple of half decent performances in the pizza cup and people think he’ll be our next #1?

Thought he was pretty shambolic vs Sunderland as well tbh.

Scott brown has been excellent for us however he is 36 and not getting any younger. At some point a player has to move on but somehow he is mistreated because clarke thinks now is the time how does that make any sense. Clarke obviously believes we can get someone better who is worth the contract more than brown. So why dont you let the man do his job and then make judgements. To say brown has been mistreated is pathetic. How many players play every game in a promotion team then get released at the end of the season. Its quite a few . But clarke releasing a 36 year old keeper whos been gradually getting worse will stop players wanting to sign for the vale 😂

I don’t get the clamour for Visser either mate, a couple of half decent performances in the pizza cup and people think he’ll be our next #1?
Thought he was pretty shambolic vs Sunderland as well tbh.
I think that he did ok in the cup games he played in and would have probably have been given an opportunity in the league at or shortly after the point he got injured. What frightens people is the long list of shocking keepers we went through inbetween Alnwick and Brown. I think 7 keepers played for us that season after Alnwick left and Hornby and Roos were the only ones that were barely competent.

The summer recruitment will be exciting but there is a concern that we can't focus on targets in problem areas as every position on the pitch is a problem area.

Some posters on here really do need to get a grip. We’ve been desperate for a clear out for years. The squad hasn’t been good enough and we’ve just endured one of the worst years of football possible. (Other than that run at the end of the season which kept us in the football league). Every side is releasing a large number of players. Stop moaning that we have released players proven over the years blatantly not to be good enough or past their past.

Scott brown did well for us but he was nowhere near as good last season as he has been in the past. People were regularly moaning about him last season and at numerous points wanted him dropped for Scott. Now he’s released he is some kind of messiah. Same with visser!! He played what 2 games I doubt we will miss him! He’s been that kind of keeper at every club, won’t be difficult to replace. 

Clearly the reason for releasing brown is that we feel we can sign someone better?!?! On less or on more money and probably with more time left in their career. I’ve read RZ’s post and it’s daft. Why would we be looking to sign someone worse on less money? The line about keepers being put off signing for us because brown has been released is just a ridiculous notion. 1) how has he been mistreated? 2) why would that have any effect regardless. 3) he wasn’t mistreated, he was released as he isn’t as good as he used to be and wasn’t brilliant last season  

Just be patient and let the recruitment team do they’re job. I guarantee when we start to sign players the same few posters will have the daggers out ready to criticise players they’ve never actually seen player and say he’s not as good as Scott brown. Embarrassing. 

14 hours ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

I think the treatment of Visser may be more likely to dissaude players from joining us.

Has Brown made any comment following his release?

Be amazed if any incoming keeper has even heard of Visser let alone heard of his ' treatment '. 

He was unfortunate however I stand by what I said when he signed in that he was a peculiar signing by Askey who was never in a million years going to be the successor to Brown. 

Archived