onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

When do we expect the first new signing to be announced? Do people think we will hear something this week or are Vale gonna stay tight lipped & then announce 3 or 4 at once...

You'd think DC would have a fortnights holiday to reenergise so maybe we'll be waiting a while yet...

Interesting times.

Advert

3 hours ago, robf said:

I think it was an entirely different time and transfer market in JR's day. He clearly did an unbelievable job but to compare his time with the current one is a bit like comparing apples and oranges. There weren't any transfer windows slamming shut in Rudge's day so he could bring people in later - for instance a lot of them in August/September were players not playing for their club offered a chance to get regular football with Vale. Andy Hill is a good example of that. 

So, as a result, Rudge's signings didn't tend to come in a big batch in the pre-season like they do under the current transfer window.

However, going back to my article - https://www.onevalefan.co.uk/2021/05/five-of-the-best-summer-transfer-business-by-port-vale/ - I was surprised by the quality of Aspo's summer business. But it's not just who you bring in, it's the tactics, coaching, squad balance which was his downfall - however, in terms of transfers, who knows where we would have been without those summer additions by Aspin.

Some good points. Hill would still have been a window signing as he signed after the second game of the season. A lot of his in season signings were after we had sold players. 2 of the best were Mills and Ford; signed for not a lot with the Andy Jones money. I think there signings coincided with the end of the run of 12 league games without a win (?). I think the basic premise remains that his close season business was often done late because the likes of Foyle, Hill, Aspin etc didn't really see us as a first choice destination. Hill was quite open in his OVF interview that he was hoping for offers from teams like Middlesbrough and Sunderland. Rudge was notoriously slow to spend money. I often wonder what would have happened if he'd got Marcus Bent 6 games earlier, although I've asked the question and he couldn’t because of the Christmas fixtures.

I think more than permanent signings outside what we now call the window was his use of loans. Although Rudge could do that because he deliberately budgeted for it.

The main point of my initial post was there seems to be a belief developing that early recruitment is good and planned whereas late in the window its panic buying. A lot of Rudge's best recruitment was late recruitment.  He tended to have a few targets he thought may be forced to drop a level and be prepared to sit it out while he watched the annual musical chairs nearly finish. In some ways it was even more planned because he'd kept the money available to spend it on the players he actually wanted. When he worked with Pullis they became, possibly, the best at late window recruitment.  There was a lot of scouting and research that went into the annual transfer deadline splurge at the Britt. Where I feel Askey went wrong over Maynard was then panicking into signing Robinson; who I suspect he never rated and hence did his best to avoid playing. Gut reaction is Rudge would have bailed out just a little earlier when most but not all the other targets in his top pocket notebook had nearly all been marked as signed elsewhere. That panic wasn't helped by the length of the Pope ban; which they had thought would be 2 games. Rudgie rarely got his first choice but usually ended up with someone he wanted. I think he kept tabs on Hill for about 12 years before he saw his first realistic opportunity to sign him. To track a player for 12 years and then know when the right time to sign his shows massive planning and wisdom to know the right time to put the plan into action.

6 minutes ago, ValeForever. said:

When do we expect the first new signing to be announced? Do people think we will hear something this week or are Vale gonna stay tight lipped & then announce 3 or 4 at once...

You'd think DC would have a fortnights holiday to reenergise so maybe we'll be waiting a while yet...

Interesting times.

One would hope Flitcroft and Clarke will stagger their holidays. They must have agreed the targets together.

4 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I wonder if Enoch Andoh would ever of been a decent sale. We will never know as sadly injury curtailed his Vale career but when he was on song he was flying. 

Remember his debut i think it was away to Crewe?? but he ripped them a new one that day they couldn't play him at all

18 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I wonder if Enoch Andoh would ever of been a decent sale. We will never know as sadly injury curtailed his Vale career but when he was on song he was flying. 

I’m sure a prem side was watching him quite early on. Shame about his injuries think he would have been a real player 

I find Amoo, such a frustrating player. I hate it when he has the ball, he’s half way inside the opposition half facing toward the opposition goal with one defender beat and no one behind the defender. Why does he have to try and beat the defender, when all he needs to do is push the ball passed the defender into the hole and the sprint around him. He can gather the ball and cross it or depending on his position can cut in and create a chance for himself.  He isn’t that good at beating a defender and this would improve his assists and goals scored figures. Ainsworth used to do it a lot. Stanley Matthews did it and stated it was the speed over the initial few yards that beat the defender.
I think that the game has moved on from a player being able to beat a man the same way everytime. Back then they may have played against a player a few times, have a scout report and in Ainsworth's day watch a couple of match videos.

Now they have reports that go into a ridiculous level of detail with outcome % and all sorts. They will get videos of a winger taking on the full back hundreds of times.

Strikers used to be able to make an entire career by going around a keeper the same way when they ran through on a 1 on 1 now they have to mix it up otherwise they get found out.

Some players are just good enough to do the same thing over and over again like Arjen Robben did but most, especially at our level now have to have a variety to their game.

The last example for us that I can remember of someone getting away with using the same trick each time was Sean Rigg and his stepover to make space for a cross.

37 minutes ago, wotsyobeef said:

I think that the game has moved on from a player being able to beat a man the same way everytime. Back then they may have played against a player a few times, have a scout report and in Ainsworth's day watch a couple of match videos.

Now they have reports that go into a ridiculous level of detail with outcome % and all sorts. They will get videos of a winger taking on the full back hundreds of times.

Strikers used to be able to make an entire career by going around a keeper the same way when they ran through on a 1 on 1 now they have to mix it up otherwise they get found out.

Some players are just good enough to do the same thing over and over again like Arjen Robben did but most, especially at our level now have to have a variety to their game.

The last example for us that I can remember of someone getting away with using the same trick each time was Sean Rigg and his stepover to make space for a cross.

That’s exactly what I’ve stated, teams would put two players on him allowing others more room 

Archived