onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

2 hours ago, EricHamesis said:

I assume that our secret fitness stats etc. show Amoo to be well ahead of the other three, because nothing else does.

Ironically he’s probably the only player who could have been TLed that any other club might have been interested in.

Advert

10 hours ago, fuzzyvalefan said:

Anthony Grant is a quality player for League 2 but at 33, does he fit into Clarke’s blueprint?

Old, lazy, arrogant, mercenary, ex-Crewe, duped us once already, doesn’t care, doesn’t score - should fit the matrix really well.

Rob's front page article about key summer windows for the Vale really underlines the significance of this summer.

In the same way Summer 16 initiated a decline that very nearly saw us go into non-league, led to fan protests and near liquidation, some of Rudge's windows were the catalysts for a decade of success.

This summer, due to the scale of the rebuild and the new approach to it, has the potential to do the same (in a positive sense).

Clarke and Flitcroft have clearly bet on themselves to deliver something close to that. If it goes belly up, they're both (but especially Clarke) in a sticky situation. 

6 hours ago, Joe B said:

Rob's front page article about key summer windows for the Vale really underlines the significance of this summer.

In the same way Summer 16 initiated a decline that very nearly saw us go into non-league, led to fan protests and near liquidation, some of Rudge's windows were the catalysts for a decade of success.

This summer, due to the scale of the rebuild and the new approach to it, has the potential to do the same (in a positive sense).

Clarke and Flitcroft have clearly bet on themselves to deliver something close to that. If it goes belly up, they're both (but especially Clarke) in a sticky situation. 

Agree with this post. It did set me wondering about when Rudge did his business in the summer. The only big player I could find signed before July was Tony Naylor. Most of the best summer signings Rudge made were in July and August. The scale of this summers recruitment is way bigger than anything Rudge ever did. Rudge watched a lot of football but waited late because he was always looking for value for money. He still keeps a notebook on players he likes and why when watching games in his top pocket. Even if you mention a player to him he'll jot it down. It wasn't just his knowledge of players he was good at placing a value on their worth within his budget. Not sure we can replicate that this year as we need at least 11 players by the Kidsgrove game.

I find Amoo, such a frustrating player. I hate it when he has the ball, he’s half way inside the opposition half facing toward the opposition goal with one defender beat and no one behind the defender. Why does he have to try and beat the defender, when all he needs to do is push the ball passed the defender into the hole and the sprint around him. He can gather the ball and cross it or depending on his position can cut in and create a chance for himself.  He isn’t that good at beating a defender and this would improve his assists and goals scored figures. Ainsworth used to do it a lot. Stanley Matthews did it and stated it was the speed over the initial few yards that beat the defender.

I find Amoo, such a frustrating player. I hate it when he has the ball, he’s half way inside the opposition half facing toward the opposition goal with one defender beat and no one behind the defender. Why does he have to try and beat the defender, when all he needs to do is push the ball passed the defender into the hole and the sprint around him. He can gather the ball and cross it or depending on his position can cut in and create a chance for himself.  He isn’t that good at beating a defender and this would improve his assists and goals scored figures. Ainsworth used to do it a lot. Stanley Matthews did it and stated it was the speed over the initial few yards that beat the defender.
A job for the coaches to improve his worth.

18 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

A job for the coaches to improve his worth.

Fosse, I’d have thought that he could work that out for himself. He wouldn’t be able to do it all the time and once he’d got himself a reputation the opposition would then have to commit two players to marking Amoo, but this would mean another of our players would be unmarked. Out and out wingers are a luxury, but they’ve got to produce the goods. It’s similar to having a really nice car that spends most of its time sitting in my garage and only comes out on the odd occasions 

1 hour ago, Playa Amodores said:

Fosse, I’d have thought that he could work that out for himself. He wouldn’t be able to do it all the time and once he’d got himself a reputation the opposition would then have to commit two players to marking Amoo, but this would mean another of our players would be unmarked. Out and out wingers are a luxury, but they’ve got to produce the goods. It’s similar to having a really nice car that spends most of its time sitting in my garage and only comes out on the odd occasions 

That is the point of coaches and teachers, why hasn`t it been picked up before? It should not be up to fans to spot it. Some people are self learners others need to be taught various aspects.

8 hours ago, JRC said:

Agree with this post. It did set me wondering about when Rudge did his business in the summer. The only big player I could find signed before July was Tony Naylor. Most of the best summer signings Rudge made were in July and August. The scale of this summers recruitment is way bigger than anything Rudge ever did. Rudge watched a lot of football but waited late because he was always looking for value for money. He still keeps a notebook on players he likes and why when watching games in his top pocket. Even if you mention a player to him he'll jot it down. It wasn't just his knowledge of players he was good at placing a value on their worth within his budget. Not sure we can replicate that this year as we need at least 11 players by the Kidsgrove game.

I think it was an entirely different time and transfer market in JR's day. He clearly did an unbelievable job but to compare his time with the current one is a bit like comparing apples and oranges. There weren't any transfer windows slamming shut in Rudge's day so he could bring people in later - for instance a lot of them in August/September were players not playing for their club offered a chance to get regular football with Vale. Andy Hill is a good example of that. 

So, as a result, Rudge's signings didn't tend to come in a big batch in the pre-season like they do under the current transfer window.

However, going back to my article - https://www.onevalefan.co.uk/2021/05/five-of-the-best-summer-transfer-business-by-port-vale/ - I was surprised by the quality of Aspo's summer business. But it's not just who you bring in, it's the tactics, coaching, squad balance which was his downfall - however, in terms of transfers, who knows where we would have been without those summer additions by Aspin.

38 minutes ago, tisdeano said:

If we are going to do the whole academy / youth system properly then we need even more

Exactly. It only seems like "we've got a ton of coaches" because we have been chronically understaffed in that area previously. This is just a normal amount for professional football clubs.

The issue was, under Smurthwaite, why spend £50k on some additional coaching to yield long term benefits, when you can just pocket £50k yourself and go and buy more KFC?

No wonder so many players over the years have gone backwards!

7 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

Agreed. 

I'm not entirely sure on this one, but I'd imagine Amoo is on a decent wage. I genuinely feel as though there is better out there for similar money. 

Archived