onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

On 01/02/2022 at 19:28, dishydave said:

Looking at it from a business perspective you get an extra 300k a season in league 1 so why would you sign 1 player on 250 - 300k a year who may or may not help you get there. Mansfield, Tranmere and Salford have spent millions that they do not have trying to get out of this league. We are trying to do it the right way and it will probably take time

I see Sunderland have signed Jermain Defoe on £6,000 a week.They are still behind three other clubs in League One though, who have bigger wage budgets. Sheff Wed are top of the list on £10m,Ipswich £9.4m and Wigan £6.2m.

Chicken feed compared to the PL though who have just spent £295m in the January transfer window.Top clubs in Germany,Italy,Spain and France spent £315m between them.

Advert

On 01/02/2022 at 15:25, Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Spot on that, what is the obsession with instant success?, I’m more concerned with progress on and off the pitch as they say “ Rome wasn’t built in a day “. The club is clearly moving forward and at a steady rate which can be seen especially when you compare it to the car crash of the Turdthwaite years.

should we get promoted I personally think it would be a season too soon and would lead to another large turn over of players as we search for proven league one players in order to stabilise in league 1.

However I also have the habit of talking out of my a arse, come on Vale let’s get it done

UTV

Totally agrre re the progress off and on the pitch, but IMO I dont think when we get promothion this season we will need a high turn over of players, maybe just a tweak, we have already proven this season with what we have, we have competed with higher placed clubs when we have played them.

On 01/02/2022 at 23:35, Guitar Ray said:

The £1850 figure, which from memory was given by DC in an interview, may be completely spurious for all we know.  Either way, what everyone seems to forget is that although we may have this cap in place he also stated there’s a bias towards bonus incentives. The £1850, or whatever, may be significantly more if we’re top 7, winning games, scoring goals and keeping clean sheets.  The capped figure can’t be taken in isolation, it’s part of an overall package.  It’s impossible to compare our salary with any rival club, who could potentially offer a higher basic wage yet lower bonuses.  Who knows?

Whatever we pay we’ve got some decent players on the books.

This is where I think people seem to be missing the point on. If we are offering a top basic salary of £1,850, we know for a fact that not all players will be on that amount. The likes of Hurst etc will be on less than that. However, what we appear to be doing, is making this almost a Sales related environment. This is your basic package but heavily incentivised if you meet these certain goals. To some degree, most clubs work similar to that, but it appears that rather than an individual incentive, it's collectively i.e. bonus paid if we're in the top 7 and therefore each and everyone of you needs to be putting in a performance. Rather than here's £30k if you reach 15 goals Wilson.

For me the top of the salary structure should always be at a level to enable the club to pay the going rate for a good Lge2/1 striker if it wants to, it's staying within the overall budget which is more important. There's a million different ways to look at this but to handcuff yourself to an arbitrary salary cap figure doesn't make sense and I hope it's changed next season.

No Vale fan wants the club to spend silly money and the Shanahan's certainly wouldn't do that but I fear the club has missed an opportunity to sign another experience striker with goals in him to get the Vale into Lge 1 perhaps for not a great deal more money than the salary cap, assuming money was available.

On 01/02/2022 at 14:25, Joe B said:

In other news, one of our three professional goalkeepers will pick up wages for the rest of the season for turning up to training and not much else. A carefully considered structure, for sure. 

But good to know that our sensible approach can absorb circumstances like this?

29 minutes ago, dishydave said:

Can someone tell me who these experienced strikers are that we should of gone in for and missed out on.

Kane Hemmings, Akinde, Matt Smith, Mandron said to be unsettled at Crewe etc, on Saturday's commentary Birchall or Yates said Vale had been offered experienced strikers  but didn't pursue any or words to that effect.

On 01/02/2022 at 18:10, Sandyford_Lion said:

.1: ...Lets say Wilson, Proctor, Conlon, Smith are the higher earners at £1800 Are we saying that they would be unhappy if we say signed ' Telford ' on £ 2300 ? Why 

2: ...I would expect Garrity, Jones, Gibbons to be on lets say £1300. Are they going to be ' unhappy ' that the others are on more money ? Will Garrity be demanding more money ?

1: Yes! Why should Telford get paid more than Proctor or Captain Tom?

2: Yes - Gibbo, especially as he is often cited as being one of our best players.

I think the top end figure is actually £1875? Lower end is £1k, less than double the top wage. Someone new comes in at 2.3 x the lower figure and that could well create unrest / dissatisfaction, especially when the players signed before the "name" player have been told there is a wage structure in place which creates a closer team spirit and, ultimately, rewards success? 

7 hours ago, maccapvfc said:

This is where I think people seem to be missing the point on. If we are offering a top basic salary of £1,850, we know for a fact that not all players will be on that amount. The likes of Hurst etc will be on less than that. However, what we appear to be doing, is making this almost a Sales related environment. This is your basic package but heavily incentivised if you meet these certain goals. To some degree, most clubs work similar to that, but it appears that rather than an individual incentive, it's collectively i.e. bonus paid if we're in the top 7 and therefore each and everyone of you needs to be putting in a performance. Rather than here's £30k if you reach 15 goals Wilson.

I think what you’re saying is pretty much the crux of what DC alluded to.

Archived