onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

In the goalkeeping department, we started the window with Cov and Stone. We’ve ended it with Cov, Stone and Holy.
Defensively, Hall is an upgrade on Legge. We’ve lost Cass, Johnson and Amos, and replaced them with Hussey and Robinson.
In the middle, Whitehead and Burgess left and Charlsey joined.
Forwards: Rodney, Politic and Lloyd left while Harratt, Edmondson and Cooper were signed on loan.
I don’t think we’re significantly weaker or stronger on paper. What has disappointed me is that in the one area where we really needed to strengthen with quality and experience (up top) we haven’t, and arguably we are weaker while we wait for first team regulars to get fit.
There has been an upheaval when you marry the changes with injuries and suspensions (a lot of it down to circumstances beyond our control) and it feels like we’ve had to throw everything up in the air and now we need to gel again.

No that’s why we have a wage structure in place

Advert

Again, I don't anyone is seriously suggesting we spend like they are. Such a strawman argument.
"If you wanted us to sign a forward, you wanted us to overspend, ergo you are gambling the club!". Repeat any time someone is unsure about transfer business.
Nope. We have a budget and I am glad we've stuck to it, but there's a couple of signings we've made that maybe could have been funnelled into one forward to complement Wilson and Proctor. I'm not convinced Holy and Charsley were necessary signings given the needs of the squad. I'm not convinced we needed two young lads on loan in the same position, with similar experience/records. Not saying they're bad players at all.

I want us to sign players to fit into the clubs wage structure

26 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Yeah I've made it clear I don't massively agree with a 'carefully implemented wage structure' as long as the overall budget is adhered to, so that isn't a problem in my view. A lot of clubs are quite successful without one. We made a choice to utilise one and are seemingly beholden to the magic 1850 figure, a completely arbitrary figure which restricts us from signing a sub-section of good footballers.

I'm not sure its Arbitrary... Surely its reasonable to assume it's based on the total budget divided by the number of players we want tweaked for bonus assumption (on top of the 1,850), Loan agreements on salary and a bit of buffer for security.

20 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Yeah I've made it clear I don't massively agree with a 'carefully implemented wage structure' as long as the overall budget is adhered to, so that isn't a problem in my view. A lot of clubs are quite successful without one. We made a choice to utilise one and are seemingly beholden to the magic 1850 figure, a completely arbitrary figure which restricts us from signing a sub-section of good footballers.

What? A lot of clubs don't have a wage structure? Smells like <ovf censored> to me.

It's not a "magic" or "arbitrary" figure, it will have been worked out in terms of budgets and wages, and it shouldn't be jettisoned at whim.

I think after that Covid-hit season, we need to be super careful with budgets and spending. I think it's all too easy to say to someone else that they just need to spend more of their money. 

I think there's still a lot of clubs just about treading water after Covid and for a club which has already had two administrations in living memory I wouldn't want it to be a hat-trick!

Yes, it's frustrating we can't go out there and splurge in the hope of propelling us back into the promotion picture but this is a long-term project and I'd rather take sensible, long-term progression over gambling on going up this season. A gamble is exactly that - what if it failed and we didn't get promotion? 

The club is run by well-meaning, fantastic owners with sensible, long-term plans and there's still more to come in terms of developing the academy etc. I am sure that success will follow because the right structure is now in place but we may just need to be patient, keep balancing the books and not do anything silly. Darrell Clarke's has completely revamped the playing side of things - but it took Sir Alex Ferguson three years to deliver success at Old Trafford (or closer to home, it took Rudgie two and half seasons) and Clarke's only just over a year into the job. 

I don't want us to spend any more of Carol's money. Never will argue for this, and never have. She's done enough for us. I don't want a splurge, and I am not advocating she just spends stupid money and prays. Please stop making this argument as I haven't read anyone seriously say it.

I wanted the budget distributed slightly differently so that a new player may have been above the wage cap, and maybe offset this by slightly decreasing the standard of another signing (in a less valuable position, like 3rd professional goalkeeper or 3rd choice central midfielder or 2nd loanee striker under the age of 21). Budget is the same, distribution slightly different.

Instead of Signing A £1850 and Signing B £1100, have Signing A £2000 and Signing B £1050. Same expenditure, Carol's pennies untouched.

Anyways, Flitcroft has a Matrix and Carol's full backing, so for now I will be fully in support of the Wage Cap Whites. Come on you equitable boys!

2 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I don't want us to spend any more of Carol's money. Never will argue for this, and never have. She's done enough for us. I don't want a splurge, and I am not advocating she just spends stupid money and prays. Please stop making this argument and I haven't read anyone seriously say it.

Erm, I never said YOU did. It was a general comment aimed at fans complaining about the lack of marquee signings - if it was aimed at a specific user, I would have said so :whistling:

It’s just an overhaul or the players most would want to be overhauled, or at least wouldn’t care if they were. It’s barely touched the first 11 but for adding competition and potential, in exchange for used subs, unused subs and below. The only ones people could possibly lament are Rodney as Politic. Rodney doesn’t fit the system and wasn’t good enough to seriously challenge. Politic also didn’t fit the system and barely played as a result; when he did he was out of position. Cass doesn’t count because if he’d been injured 1st Feb onwards he’d not be playing but we’d have no replacement. The players brought in have good pedigree, have already started needing in well and fill much needed gaps that those who have left were never going to. It’s a lot of overhaul, but only out of choice, to get better and have more players in more positions we actually use. It all makes sense and has given me real encouragement for the rest of the season. If we don’t make it this season, the squad is better primed for next season already. Imagine that squad all fit and raring to go, there will be quality that doesn’t make the match day squad. This season, next season and every transfer window to come under DC and DF I’m sure we’ll get better, as that’s the pattern so far.

Archived