onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Guest Vale at home
2 hours ago, The man in the pub said:

I think what has happened with injuries will have derailed DCs plans. He has had to respond to the ever growing injury list by bringing in replacements, some proven , some not.  A team gels with time together on the pitch, relationships are built. With our rate of injuries players are not even getting time in training to do this, and it shows where it really matters on matchday.

Yes I do agree . Good Luck for to night Vale . A win would be Brilliant . 

Advert

Unfortunately, due to injuries and certainly one of the suspensions, rather than a minor freshen up, which I think was always planned, we’ve had a major influx of new players. This has coincided with a really tough run of fixtures so I only hope that fans will be mindful of this and allow a bit of leeway when forming an opinion on the latest recruits.

22 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

Goals need to come from other areas of the pitch as, if Wilson and Proctor don't stay fit, we're struggling in my opinion. Not just for goals but how it impacts our general play. i.e. using Proctor/Wilson to hold the ball up while the rest of the team supports them. Without them, the ball just keeps coming back towards our goal.

Maybe (but hopefully not & don't want to sound too defeatist) we'll have to wait 'til summer to fully strengthen our forward line.

For me, one more proven striker was all that was missing.

Charsley, Cooper, Edmonson, Hall and Harratt don't have any previous history of being prolific goal scorers, les hope some of the old guard who have been here longer than a couple of weeks can step up. Smithy did us proud on Saturday. 

1 hour ago, valeparklife said:

Is our squad "full" now?

ie have we vacant positions that could be filled by free agents?

I stand to be corrected but I make it we have room for free agents bearing in mind GK don’t count, plus I’d be very surprised to see Hurst still here at the end of the NL window.

28 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Unfortunately, due to injuries and certainly one of the suspensions, rather than a minor freshen up, which I think was always planned, we’ve had a major influx of new players. This has coincided with a really tough run of fixtures so I only hope that fans will be mindful of this and allow a bit of leeway when forming an opinion on the latest recruits.

Problem is that the next games are a tough run but if we don’t pick up points from them we will be too far behind 

39 minutes ago, rob1983 said:

Needed to bring in a proven striker. It's done now we'll finish around 9th or tenth. Disappointing as this league apart from forest Green is very poor. The sides coming up from the conference will make promotion alot harder next year. Chance missed.

I don't understand what the obsession is with Vale fans over a "proven striker".

The top 5 goalscorers in L2 currently are:

• Dom Telford 20 goals
  • Jamille Matt 17 goals
  • Matt Stevens 16 goals
  • Harry McKirdy 11 goals
  • Harry Smith 11 goals

Prior to Newport, Telford had never scored more than 6 league goals a season in his career before this.

Prior to FGR, Matt had only hit double figures in the EFL once.

Prior to FGR, Stevens had scored 7 in 57 L2 games.

Prior to Swindon, McKirdy had 10 goals in 75 L2 games.

Prior to Orient, Smith had 18 goals in 93 games across L2, L1 and Scottish Prem.

I wouldn't class any of them as 'proven' before they joined their current clubs.

It's not about prior records, it's about finding a style of football that can get the best out of players.

People were raving about Jake Beesley for Rochdale this season, but if we'd have signed him instead, after 4 goals in 23 in the National League and said he was our main striker, there would have been a nuclear meltdown on here! 

4 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

I don't understand what the obsession is with Vale fans over a "proven striker".

• Dom Telford 20 goals
  • Jamille Matt 17 goals
  • Matt Stevens 16 goals
  • Harry McKirdy 11 goals
  • Harry Smith 11 goals

Prior to Newport, Telford had never scored more than 6 league goals a season in his career before this.

Prior to Orient, Smith had 18 goals in 93 games across L2, L1 and Scottish Prem.

I wouldn't class any of them as 'proven' before they joined their current clubs.

It's not about prior records, it's about finding a style of football that can get the best out of players.

People were raving about Jake Beesley for Rochdale this season, but if we'd have signed him instead, after 4 goals in 23 in the National League and said he was our main striker, there would have been a nuclear meltdown on here! 

Fair.

What I would say is we lack is an experienced striker rather than the mythical proven L2 goalscorer. That’s the risk we have taken in our squad. 

40 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

That's far too sensible!

10 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

• Dom Telford 20 goals
  • Jamille Matt 17 goals
  • Matt Stevens 16 goals
  • Harry McKirdy 11 goals
  • Harry Smith 11 goals

Were it not for injuries proctor would be right up there in the divisions top scorers 

14 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

• Dom Telford 20 goals
  • Jamille Matt 17 goals
  • Matt Stevens 16 goals
  • Harry McKirdy 11 goals
  • Harry Smith 11 goals

I agree that the desire for a 'name' is daft.

I also think attacking reinforcements over the age of 23 would have been helpful considering our situation.

1 hour ago, tisdeano said:

I guess we could have gambled like Salford and Mansfield did the previous 4 seasons and achieved nothing

Again, I don't anyone is seriously suggesting we spend like they are. Such a strawman argument.

"If you wanted us to sign a forward, you wanted us to overspend, ergo you are gambling the club!". Repeat any time someone is unsure about transfer business.

Nope. We have a budget and I am glad we've stuck to it, but there's a couple of signings we've made that maybe could have been funnelled into one forward to complement Wilson and Proctor. I'm not convinced Holy and Charsley were necessary signings given the needs of the squad. I'm not convinced we needed two young lads on loan in the same position, with similar experience/records. Not saying they're bad players at all.

Yeah I've made it clear I don't massively agree with a 'carefully implemented wage structure' as long as the overall budget is adhered to, so that isn't a problem in my view. A lot of clubs are quite successful without one. We made a choice to utilise one and are seemingly beholden to the magic 1850 figure, a completely arbitrary figure which restricts us from signing a sub-section of good footballers.

39 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

• Dom Telford 20 goals
  • Jamille Matt 17 goals
  • Matt Stevens 16 goals
  • Harry McKirdy 11 goals
  • Harry Smith 11 goals

Brilliant post

Archived