onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

In the goalkeeping department, we started the window with Cov and Stone. We’ve ended it with Cov, Stone and Holy.

Defensively, Hall is an upgrade on Legge. We’ve lost Cass, Johnson and Amos, and replaced them with Hussey and Robinson.

In the middle, Whitehead and Burgess left and Charlsey joined.

Forwards: Rodney, Politic and Lloyd left while Harratt, Edmondson and Cooper were signed on loan.

I don’t think we’re significantly weaker or stronger on paper. What has disappointed me is that in the one area where we really needed to strengthen with quality and experience (up top) we haven’t, and arguably we are weaker while we wait for first team regulars to get fit.

There has been an upheaval when you marry the changes with injuries and suspensions (a lot of it down to circumstances beyond our control) and it feels like we’ve had to throw everything up in the air and now we need to gel again.

Advert

Unfortunately every signing is a gamble! Will they settle and fit in ? Will they buy in to the culture at the club ? From what little I have seen so far of the new lads I am optimistic even Cooper who came on for the last couple of minutes showed a degree of intelligence in holding up the ball in the corner and running down the clock.

39 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Maybe a gamble was the wrong word - the window hasn't been ideal, is the point I was making. We're relying on 8 players settling immediately in a team down 4 key starters to injuries (Proctor, Gibbo, Conlon, Cass).

There's a lot of risk in what we have done. Most of it was forced through injuries and recalls. Half of the players signed are making their first real steps in pro football. Again, not criticising, just a reality. A big old job for Dazzler.

We seriously can't cast judgement on whether we've improved the squad. We've simply got no idea. If someone were to suggest we'd been weakened, there would rightly be hell up about 'giving players time'. Tonight will be a great test.

While in the main it is a risk, we've been hopeless for a few months. I'd hope we would have had a bit of a refresh anyway.

Legge for Hall looks a no brainer in hindsight, Hussey a proven L2 promotion player, Harratt and Edmundson looking like theyve taken to L2 life pretty well. 

Gibbo doesn't look like hes going to sign a new contract, and I've heard on good authority that Smith isn't planning to sign up again either so getting Robinson in seems like good business. Obviously I've not seen him play but DF should have and has seen enough to consider him a good investment. 

Our starting 11 at Scunny only had 4 new faces, still plenty of continuity from the start of the season despite losses in key positions.

I've just done a bit of research on our form (who we've beaten, red cards, goal scorers) since Proctor's injury on the 16th October, and it isn't pretty reading at all.

I won't go into the minutiae as it makes me look a bit sad (what's new?), but we are absolutely desperate for him to come back. Our season hinges on him being back fairly soon, getting match fit quickly, and then staying fit. If that happens then top 7 is a very achievable target.

33 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Maybe a gamble was the wrong word - the window hasn't been ideal, is the point I was making. We're relying on 8 players settling immediately in a team down 4 key starters to injuries (Proctor, Gibbo, Conlon, Cass).

There's a lot of risk in what we have done. Most of it was forced through injuries and recalls. Half of the players signed are making their first real steps in pro football. Again, not criticising, just a reality. A big old job for Dazzler.

We seriously can't cast judgement on whether we've improved the squad. We've simply got no idea. If someone were to suggest we'd been weakened, there would rightly be hell up about 'giving players time'. Tonight will be a great test.

Apologies for the confusion, I didn't mean an improvement throughout but I think Hall is an improvement over Legge of what has been seen of so far and if people are not entitled to an opinion then what's the point in posting on here if everyone should agree?

If there was ever "hell up" from something I posted on here, I'm confident I can give a balanced reason to justify my views.

I'm actually really excited for tonight, under previous Port Vale teams in situations where we are navigating out of poor form and we are playing one of the top teams in the league, I would be filled with anxiety, but I'm buoyed by the 2nd half performance on Saturday, I also think the windy conditions and the pitch made it difficult for either side to play football. Not sure if the wind is going to die down by 7:45 or what state the pitch will be in, given Steve has only had 2 and a bit days to provide maintenance but it's going to be a huge test and if the conditions are similar to Saturday, it won't suit FGR either.

Just now, Joe B said:

I've just done a bit of research on our form (who we've beaten, red cards, goal scorers) since Proctor's injury on the 16th October, and it isn't pretty reading at all.

I won't go into the minutiae as it makes me look a bit sad (what's new?), but we are absolutely desperate for him to come back. Our season hinges on him being back fairly soon, getting match fit quickly, and then staying fit. If that happens then top 7 is a very achievable target.

Last thing we want to do is rush him back again. Rather leave him and wait till he's 100% ready 

Well DC said judge the club and the end of the transfer window.

Players Out

Ryan Johnson,Danny Amos, Danny Whitehead, Leon Legge, George Lloyd, Scott Burgess, Denis Politic, Lewis Cass, Devante Rodney

Players In

Chriss Hussey, Connor Hall, Kian Harratt, Ryan Edmondson, Thomas Holy, Joel Cooper,Harry Charsley, Sammy Robinson

I grade the transfer window B+ . Addressed needs at GK, CB, a viable option in CM but we lack the experienced striker to back up Proctor and Wilson.

Overall I'm pleased with what we have done. A big turnaround of players, some of it enforced, others sold with fees(when the last time we did that),the last bit of deadwood moved on, plus an upgrade in the starting 11 at the back. I really like profile of players we are bringing in on loan, a far cry from previous loans who made up numbers in seasons gone by. A lot will now rest on the shoulders of Edmondson, Harratt and Cooper to see if we can pull ourselves back into the automatic places. We will need one or two of those to catch fire to help us score more with the ability to impact games from the bench.

For me the squad is definitely stronger today than it was 31st December. I hope its enough to have a successful season.

15 minutes ago, tisdeano said:

I guess we could have gambled like Salford and Mansfield did the previous 4 seasons and achieved nothing

Don’t have to gamble to that extent do you? It Dosent go from one extreme to the other like that. There is a mid ground you can sign very good proven players without spending silly money.  We’ve done it with hussey and hall and there are still players out there. Noticed a good signing for Northampton yesterday. Labala on loan from Blackpool I don’t think he would have broken the bank or been a huge gamble? 

I think our window being a risk depends on where we’re hoping to finish. The risk for me (if we’re wanting to challenge promotion) is the lack of a proven forward signed. Losing politic, Rodney (highly rated by some within the club) and even Lloyd and replacing them with unproven players with very little game time is a risk. Rodney got double figures last season, Politic proven at this level and Lloyd promoted for the league last year. For players who have barely played.

Players were / are still out there. I mentioned baldock yesterday, league 2 sides are after him and he is proven at a higher level. labala for Northampton is a good signing and wouldn’t have broken the bank. Defensive signings and Midfield I think have been very good, Hall, Hussey and Charsely are good signings. Hall looks a fantastic signing to be fair. I think we’re pinning our hopes on Wilson and Proctor staying fit, if they’re not fit I can’t see us challenging as we’re definitely light up top. 

Needed to bring in a proven striker. It's done now we'll finish around 9th or tenth. Disappointing as this league apart from forest Green is very poor. The sides coming up from the conference will make promotion alot harder next year. Chance missed.

Goals need to come from other areas of the pitch as, if Wilson and Proctor don't stay fit, we're struggling in my opinion. Not just for goals but how it impacts our general play. i.e. using Proctor/Wilson to hold the ball up while the rest of the team supports them. Without them, the ball just keeps coming back towards our goal.

Maybe (but hopefully not & don't want to sound too defeatist) we'll have to wait 'til summer to fully strengthen our forward line.

For me, one more proven striker was all that was missing.

5 minutes ago, rob1983 said:

Needed to bring in a proven striker. It's done now we'll finish around 9th or tenth. Disappointing as this league apart from forest Green is very poor. The sides coming up from the conference will make promotion alot harder next year. Chance missed.

We will be stronger if we do not go up this season, plenty of games to play yet though.

Archived