onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Advert

Only 21 and 14 of those games are in the premiership where he looked half decent. He certainly won’t be no use! More like the best player in the division. I thought mansfield would be there or there abouts after they outplayed us. Think they’re the 2nd automatic after Forest Green 

Perhaps finally the millions their owner has wasted may finally get them out of the league

A few promotion contenders have had good windows (Mansfield, Tranmere, Northampton) and FGR just needed to retain everyone.

Swindon have been knocked by Simpson going back. Sutton haven't added anyone of note. Exeter neither.

Bradford and Salford will be knocking about 7th-9th.

Our window, through no one's fault, is a gamble. Flitcroft might look a genius in May.

8 minutes ago, dishydave said:

I dont think it's a gamble Joe I think it's been a well thought out balanced and within budget approach that has strengthened the squad.

I think our hand has been forced by injuries and loan recalls, and has been a bit haphazard.  It's no one's fault, but DC admitted he didn't want this level of turnover. 

We've got no idea if it's strengthened the squad yet - half of the signings are fairly untested on a long-term basis at professional level (Edmonson, Harratt, Cooper, Robinson), and we've lost players who had contributed well in Cass and Politic. 

I'm not blaming anyone, as we couldn't do much about it - just saying that 8 incomings/outgoings, losing key players to loan recalls, half of the signings being inexperienced, all whilst our captain and player of the season is out, is undoubtedly a risky situation when the margin for error from now until May is very small.

We can't afford any more blips. We've used our quota up. This new-look squad has to hit the ground running in promotion form and maintain as such for 20+ games. A 'bedding-in' period of indifference will finish us.

7 minutes ago, dishydave said:

I dont think it's a gamble Joe I think it's been a well thought out balanced and within budget approach that has strengthened the squad.

I agree. This young lad from Man City has been watched by Vale for some time and clearly was on the agenda. It seems that many of our signings have been thoroughly researched by the Matrix and so far we have done well from their deliberations.

Obviously time will tell but I prefer our stance to that of the likes of Mansfield etc. Carol has brought about a culture of reason and wise investment since taking over and her management team are continuing in her vein. Long may that last.

With the injuries, Cass injured for the rest of the season and Politic sold by Bolton, I don't think it's a gamble, our hands were forced to act. 

Rodney showed zero signs of doing anything for us this season, a replacement for him will have to be in the summer, but I'm happy with the business done, it isn't awe-inspiring but of what I've seen so far, it's an improvement on what we've had. Hall is solid, so solid he bends goalposts just from launching into other players, Hussey looks to be improving with every game and we are yet to see Robinson but looks to be on paper a slightly more dynamic Lewis Cass with a pedigree schooling. 

Maybe a gamble was the wrong word - the window hasn't been ideal, is the point I was making. We're relying on 8 players settling immediately in a team down 4 key starters to injuries (Proctor, Gibbo, Conlon, Cass).

There's a lot of risk in what we have done. Most of it was forced through injuries and recalls. Half of the players signed are making their first real steps in pro football. Again, not criticising, just a reality. A big old job for Dazzler.

We seriously can't cast judgement on whether we've improved the squad. We've simply got no idea. If someone were to suggest we'd been weakened, there would rightly be hell up about 'giving players time'. Tonight will be a great test.

I think what has happened with injuries will have derailed DCs plans. He has had to respond to the ever growing injury list by bringing in replacements, some proven , some not.  A team gels with time together on the pitch, relationships are built. With our rate of injuries players are not even getting time in training to do this, and it shows where it really matters on matchday.

12 hours ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Think I'm quite relieved it's over. Never known a window like this one and I didn't particularly like it. Wonder what would have happened if Conlon and Gibbo had stayed injury free.

They would be playing tonight 😜

Archived