onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

4 hours ago, Beech said:

So Burgess, Amos, Legge, Politic and Rodney have been replaced with Chorley, Hussey, Hall and Cooper, along with the new keeper. I think I'll take the latter group all day long.

Where does the faith in Hussey come from, given he hasn't beaten the first man since he arrived? And why would you take Cooper over Politic? And what has the new CM done that Burgess hasn't? Just interested to understand what makes you rate a player.

Advert

24 minutes ago, johnjeffersfanclub said:

Where does the faith in Hussey come from, given he hasn't beaten the first man since he arrived? And why would you take Cooper over Politic? And what has the new CM done that Burgess hasn't? Just interested to understand what makes you rate a player.

Politic has talent but never convinced me as much as others. He had games where he did next to nothing. If Oxford signed Cooper in the first place he must have something about him. Burgess was crap for a while and really shouldn't be difficult to improve upon. Hussey is an established lower league player, and while he hasn't stood out yet, he's clearly a better option than Amos.

You would have to be an absolute mentalist to not think that Hall, Hussey and Chorley in-particular aren't an improvement on soon to be 37 year old Legge, Amos and Burgess for <ovf censored> sake.

19 minutes ago, Beech said:

Politic has talent but never convinced me as much as others. He had games where he did next to nothing. If Oxford signed Cooper in the first place he must have something about him. Burgess was crap for a while and really shouldn't be difficult to improve upon. Hussey is an established lower league player, and while he hasn't stood out yet, he's clearly a better option than Amos.

You would have to be an absolute mentalist to not think that Hall, Hussey and Chorley in-particular aren't an improvement on soon to be 37 year old Legge, Amos and Burgess for <ovf censored> sake.

That's not what you said though, is it? You're guessing on Cooper based on sweet FA. You're dismissing some solid runs of performances by Burgess in favour of a player who has similar pedigree. 

6 hours ago, johnjeffersfanclub said:

Reality is that we all know very little about the majority of our signings that are coming in.

The thing is that whilst Hussey has come in and Amos has gone out, Hussey isn’t actually a direct replacement for him. Hussey has been brought in to replace Gibbo in the side at left wing back. Therefore to my way of thinking he’s had to come in and be better than Gibbo in that position. So far he hasn’t shown anything to me to say he’ll do a better job than Gibbo has done as a left wing back.  

I can’t believe that Cooper is getting so much hype at this moment in time. It’s yet another case of, “he’s come from a club in a higher league so he must be good”. I think he’s going to play the politic role as a player to come on when we need a change of shape or attacking impetus.

Still lots of criticism of Rodney, he’s had a poor stop start season yes. But no way is he as bad as is now being made out. Anyone would think he’s played every game for 18 months for us like a kid getting knocked off the ball all the time whilst chasing his first touch. It’s just not true at all. 

Formations have nothing to do with an awful first touch, poor shooting accuracy, lack of footballing intelligence etc etc. He might do alright for Walsall, he might not. But he'll never suddenly become "very good" as long as he's got a hole in his arse. Even last season, despite scoring more than most would have expected, at times he looked like a pub player. But that could be excused to an extent as it was the first time in his career he was starting most weeks in the football league.

Well time will tell who is right and who is wrong. Will happily concede the point if he bombs out. Still a number of clubs considered his first touch, shooting etc good enough to offer a fee and a number of people on here hope we have a sell on clause. Let's see.

With regards to offering Rodney a new contract. Why offer one to a player who cannot get into the first team and has eighteen months left on his current contract.
And why would a player with that long left on his contract be interested in discussing one with so long left on his contract.
However I do believe he was offered one, albeit a poor one, knowing full well under the circumstances the player would not have been interested at this stage, with so long left on his contract.
They wanted him gone, but if after leaving, he becomes very successful then the management have a cast iron excuse saying they had no choice as he wanted to leave and refused a contract.
Truth being he was never going to fit into Clarkes style of play, so wanted rid. Playing as a central striker having high balls lumped up to him with his back to goal, was never going to suit him. They know he has potential though so just covered themselves by offering a contract.
Clarke may well be right and Rodney may prove to be a bit of a damp squib at Walsall. Only time will tell. If he was as bad as so many say. Why are so many hoping we have a sell on clause.

Our management team want to do well, that involves making difficult decisions and standing by them with conviction.

They are not Norman Smurfwaite and don't need to offer someone a dismal contract that they won't accept.

They have the confidence that they make enough correct decisions that the odd one that is a mistake doesn't matter.

What if he had signed the contract you speculate that they didn't want him to sign. Surely turning down the security of a long term contract would be foolish for a modern day lower league footballer.

I am disappointed to see Rodney go he is a player that has the attributes that can scare the life out of a defender. It has been painful at times this season watching him struggle to play as a striker. With the formation we play it makes sense to reinvest onto other areas of the pitch.

1 hour ago, PV1973 said:

Still lots of criticism of Rodney, he’s had a poor stop start season yes. But no way is he as bad as is now being made out. Anyone would think he’s played every game for 18 months for us like a kid getting knocked off the ball all the time whilst chasing his first touch. It’s just not true at all. 

He's rubbish far more often than not. There's nothing that isn't true about that statement. He has his moments like just about every other player. 1 goal in 17 appearances this season, plenty of them starts, is Danny Glover level's of poor.

11 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

What happens if say Wilson is poor from now until the end of the season or Conlon, do we bin them as well?

Not just about been poor. Aptitude and mindset big part as well. I've said on more than once, unfortunately Rodney will always remain an unpolished diamond. Sad really because we did see glimpses of what he is capable of.

Interesting the differing views on Rodney, where in some ways what we saw last season in terms of impact mirror Politic this year.  Moments of sheer brilliance / stunning strikes, at others totally anonymous.  His languid style coupled with our 352 system have certainly done him no favours in adhering him to the crowd or management.

He may end up drifting into non league, he may go on a scoring spree and be quickly sold higher up the pyramid like Marcus Bent was after showing precious little at The Vale.  If it’s the latter, I hope there was a sell on clause, and that it hasn’t been crossed out to ‘smooth the deal’.

I see a lot on social media about this big turnaround of players,yes a lot have come and gone BUT not one who has left were first team regulars and most who have come in look like upgrades on who have left...our problem with the first team has been the disruption due to injuries

8 hours ago, Budgie_2260 said:

A sell on clause is sensible business, I believe we added one to the Johnson deal when he moved to Stockport.

Out of interest, which position in our current system do you think suited Rodney best?

Exeter insist on sell ons in all their deals i think and it works for them so like you say its good that we are doing that because you never know

8 hours ago, johnjeffersfanclub said:

For goodness sake the man has played 2 games for us and in his second he was close to motm for me so do you think sometimes a player needs a couple of games to settle in,his record shows he has nothing to prove,his quality is there

Archived