onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Advert

15 minutes ago, Beech said:

What talent? And he certainly wasn't always a threat when he was on the pitch for us. That's a daft statement. He's been anonymous more often than not this season.

If you can't acknowledge that Rodney had talent then there's no debate to be had.

He's been anonymous this season cause he has hardly played, he's ah instinctive player who plays on confidence.

Just look at the video vs Southend posted above.

10 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Did you listen to Flitcrofts interview on radio Stoke.

We offered him a contract extension. That’s the exact opposite of “binning someone”

He turned it down.

We set a valuation in our head where we considered it better to take the cash rather than keep the player.

We received 2 bids that didn’t match that valuation, so we didn’t accept.

Walsall then upped their bid to match our valuation. So we made the decision based on value.

We sold him … not binned him.

But to answer your question… if we receive a bid greater than the value we think those players are worth… then yes we sell (not bin) them.

Wasn’t replying to flitcroft was replying to another post in this thread which basically said Rodney has been useless this year so can go …. 

Do you not think what Flitcroft said was all talk RE Rodney? Vale wanted him gone for a while, they just wanted to get as much as possible and rightly so. 

1 minute ago, valiant_593 said:

Do you not think what Flitcroft said was all talk RE Rodney? Vale wanted him gone for a while, they just wanted to get as much as possible and rightly so. 

No

Do you think he was lying about offering him an extension? And remember all his agent would have to do it say that not true to completely debunk that.

I'm pleased we've cashed in on Rodney.

We can debate his unfulfilled potential and hopefully a sell on clause will offer us insurance on this.

However, he doesn't fit into our current system.

He's not a traditional winger who would supply crosses, he hasn't demonstrated the intelligence to play as a 2 and he isn't good enough to lead the front line alone.

I have to admit I was slightly dubious about some of the goals he scored last year, I'm certain he didn't 'mean' half of them, he  looked almost suprised when a couple of them went in and almost embarrassed to celebrate. (the goal against Liverpool Under 23s sticks out)

Still it will be fascinating to see how he gets on at Walsall.

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

What happens if say Wilson is poor from now until the end of the season or Conlon, do we bin them as well?

Exactly this. If other players had a poor start to the season I think they’d be given more time and patience. And it’s a standard case of fans saying “he was rubbish anyway” when a player goes. But I think there’s more to us getting rid of Rodney. 

With regards to offering Rodney a new contract. Why offer one to a player who cannot get into the first team and has eighteen months left on his current contract.
And why would a player with that long left on his contract be interested in discussing one with so long left on his contract.
However I do believe he was offered one, albeit a poor one, knowing full well under the circumstances the player would not have been interested at this stage, with so long left on his contract.
They wanted him gone, but if after leaving, he becomes very successful then the management have a cast iron excuse saying they had no choice as he wanted to leave and refused a contract.
Truth being he was never going to fit into Clarkes style of play, so wanted rid. Playing as a central striker having high balls lumped up to him with his back to goal, was never going to suit him. They know he has potential though so just covered themselves by offering a contract.
Clarke may well be right and Rodney may prove to be a bit of a damp squib at Walsall. Only time will tell. If he was as bad as so many say. Why are so many hoping we have a sell on clause.

8 minutes ago, worldsendvalefan said:

Playing as a central striker having high balls lumped up to him with his back to goal, was never going to suit him. 

And what excuses for when he was played out wide and often did next to nothing? I'm still waiting for anyone to tell me what he has in his locker other than pace? And if anyone say's strength they need to give their heads a wobble, as he's knocked off the ball more often than not. Last season he was inconsistent, but scored more goals than I ever expected him to. This season, outside of one Cup game, he's looked like someone plucked from the crowd.

With regards to offering Rodney a new contract. Why offer one to a player who cannot get into the first team and has eighteen months left on his current contract.
And why would a player with that long left on his contract be interested in discussing one with so long left on his contract.
However I do believe he was offered one, albeit a poor one, knowing full well under the circumstances the player would not have been interested at this stage, with so long left on his contract.
They wanted him gone, but if after leaving, he becomes very successful then the management have a cast iron excuse saying they had no choice as he wanted to leave and refused a contract.
Truth being he was never going to fit into Clarkes style of play, so wanted rid. Playing as a central striker having high balls lumped up to him with his back to goal, was never going to suit him. They know he has potential though so just covered themselves by offering a contract.
Clarke may well be right and Rodney may prove to be a bit of a damp squib at Walsall. Only time will tell. If he was as bad as so many say. Why are so many hoping we have a sell on clause.

A sell on clause is sensible business, I believe we added one to the Johnson deal when he moved to Stockport.

Out of interest, which position in our current system do you think suited Rodney best?

In our current system I don't think there is a position that best suits him. Which was a point I was trying to make. Like I also don't really think there is a position that best suits Worrall in our system.
My main point was that the contract offer was a bit of a red herring so the management had themselves covered in case it turned out to be a bad move.
A sell on clause would be a good idea. We would have been in a strong position to ask for one. Does anyone know if we have.
However the formation and style of play is the managers perogative. If it gets us promotion I certainly won't be moaning.
I just feel we have lost a potentially very good player. Only time will tell on this one.

8 minutes ago, worldsendvalefan said:

In our current system I don't think there is a position that best suits him. Which was a point I was trying to make. Like I also don't really think there is a position that best suits Worrall in our system.
My main point was that the contract offer was a bit of a red herring so the management had themselves covered in case it turned out to be a bad move.
A sell on clause would be a good idea. We would have been in a strong position to ask for one. Does anyone know if we have.
However the formation and style of play is the managers perogative. If it gets us promotion I certainly won't be moaning.
I just feel we have lost a potentially very good player. Only time will tell on this one.

Formations have nothing to do with an awful first touch, poor shooting accuracy, lack of footballing intelligence etc etc. He might do alright for Walsall, he might not. But he'll never suddenly become "very good" as long as he's got a hole in his arse. Even last season, despite scoring more than most would have expected, at times he looked like a pub player. But that could be excused to an extent as it was the first time in his career he was starting most weeks in the football league.

Archived