onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Advert

Managers and teams work players out. Rodney's only attribute is when the ball is knocked in behind a full-back and he has space to run into. Don't give him or us that space and you end up with a confused striker-winger that has one goal all season.
And if teams choose to do that then it creates space elsewhere on the pitch.

4 minutes ago, wotsyobeef said:
22 minutes ago, Beech said:

Managers and teams work players out. Rodney's only attribute is when the ball is knocked in behind a full-back and he has space to run into. Don't give him or us that space and you end up with a confused striker-winger that has one goal all season.

And if teams choose to do that then it creates space elsewhere on the pitch.

Well his final pass, cross and shot is often a car crash, so it's not like too many teams will worry themselves silly over Rodney regardless. But if you don't allow him to knock the ball past you and run, he's useless.

I think it’s a bit unfair to write Rodney off as crap or a Sunday league player just because he’s left. He may not have made the best use of this talent, (which to me points to a player with a poor attitude), but I thought on his day he had attributes that can cause the opposition problems, he showed it last season. But for whatever reason it’s not worked out this season. Personally that has to go down to desire and attitude in my book. Look at players like Worrall or gibbo, willing to run all day, keep going, run through a wall for the team and make the best of what they have. Rodney doesn’t have that desire IMO and that’s probably why he won’t player higher unless he changes his attitude. But I think he showed enough last season to convince himself he can do it when he applies himself. 

7 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I think it’s a bit unfair to write Rodney off as crap or a Sunday league player just because he’s left. He may not have made the best use of this talent, (which to me points to a player with a poor attitude), but I thought on his day he had attributes that can cause the opposition problems, he showed it last season. But for whatever reason it’s not worked out this season. Personally that has to go down to desire and attitude in my book. Look at players like Worrall or gibbo, willing to run all day, keep going, run through a wall for the team and make the best of what they have. Rodney doesn’t have that desire IMO and that’s probably why he won’t player higher unless he changes his attitude. But I think he showed enough last season to convince himself he can do it when he applies himself. 

I certainly aren't saying anything I am because he's now left. But someone said he has a lot of tools - I'm asking what they are? He looks strong because of his build but he so often gets knocked off the ball. Other than being quick I really don't see what he has to offer. I don't think he will ever be aggressive enough to make anything like the most of what physical tools he does have. But in regards to any technical ability, he's rubbish. At times he treats the ball like it's a ticking time bomb.

1 hour ago, philmpv said:
1 hour ago, Playa Amodores said:
Phil, his goals kept us up. So what has changed

Who knows? Hes become a father, had covid. Could be either of those or neither. I do know that he's been largely dog dirt this season. Last seasons goals don't count for this one unfortunately. We can't keep players who aren't performing simply because of what they've done previously. We've made that mistake before

We can't keep players who aren't performing because of what they have done previously but we recruit new players based on what they have done previously? 

8 hours ago, Seamus O'Wye said:

... he's 25, has only made 10 league appearances in his whole career, and Mansfield do not consider him good enough to get in their side on a regular basis.... and we paid a fee for him..!?!  Let's just say I'm surprised.

Former Ireland U21 he played 13 games for Mansfield just last season, and has played Europa League football. Would you like to try a different response?

27 minutes ago, saintvaliant said:

Rodders on his day was almost unplayable.

Problem was that he hadn’t had a day for about 12 months and didn’t look like having one any time soon on his most recent efforts.

I know it was at a much higher level, but Emile Heskey had one or two games a season where he looked a world-beater. But for the rest he looked average and workmanlike at best.

Whether Rodney is a success at Walsall or not, we certainly won't miss this season's version of Devante Rodney one little bit.

I just find it a bit of a sudden about turn that we’ve decided to get rid after a stop start first half of the season for him (for whatever reason that may be). He hasn’t become a bad player overnight so maybe there’s more to it. 

3 hours ago, Joe B said:

A massive turnover for a January.

Rodney didn't improve in the areas he'd need to to play any higher, but if played in the right system and with confidence he is a reasonable League 2 winger/wide forward, as he proved throughout last season.

I think for Walsall, who are in full rebuild mode, this is a decent signing - a high-upside player who can, at the least, sporadically produce as a winger. He might be as rubbish as he has been this season, but he got 11 goals in the Whitehead/Mills/Robinson era. I'm not exactly upset to see him go, and with rumours about off-the-field concerns I understand it.

I'm not at all sure about the level of turnover. Some has been enforced (Cass + Politic), but most has been clearly through choice. We're at a stage where we've got a game tomorrow and the squad has been changed more than it sometimes is in the summer. We're reliant on a lot of immediate bedding-in, which considering out insistence on an early pre-season and getting the 'right group', seems a bit counter-productive.

Realistically, most were enforced trying to get short-term cover for injuries and the players who wouldn't be featuring in future. No point keeping them in the squad plus we got cash for Johnson. Cass and Rodders will, probably...hopefully...be replaced but that will be like-for-like. You're right about the turnover in January, though - but, hopefully, the new players will bring a fresh energy to a team that has been plodding on? 

Other teams/managers didn't work Rodney out as he was an instinctive player who played by the seat of his pants, someone who could be brilliant one minute, not so good the next but because of his talent he was always a threat when on the pitch. The problem was he isn't a DC type player and he doesn't fit into the DC 3-5-2 way of playing hence Rodney didn't start, got few minutes and probably got frustrated so it's no surprise he left.

Some crucial goals and special moments for Vale, the terrific goal against Southend or was it Grimsby in the 2bd half of  last season that changed the game and the two passes vs Burton in the FA Cup to name but two. Still time to develop but big move for him as given his style of play it could go either way. Best of luck to him but not when playing against the Vale.

Archived