onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

3 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

I’m reading a list of injuries that players have recurring problems with… you can’t judge the sports science and certainly say something has “gone wrong” without knowing what it would have been like without implementing the new system. 

Politic arrived injured, unfortunately Gibbo has glass hamstrings, Walker has had an injury laden past, same Amoo.

For all we know we have implemented a system that has given us double the time for these players before they broke down and half the recovery time.

Maybe not… but we can’t know for sure.

Offer me our new sports science regime or the one we had last year. I’m picking this one at the moment. I think we have been desperately unlucky.

Sure, if it continues let’s assess… but writing it off on a singular view isn’t sound thinking.

I'd agree that the injuries sustained have been unlucky and maybe Askey's  were too, unless someone can delve in to some stats that suggest both managers  training methods have coincided with similar injury numbers in the past. 

Advert

17 minutes ago, Beech said:

What are these lots of attributes though? He's pretty quick. But for a lad of his size he's often knocked off the ball by smaller men. More through a lack of desire than anything. His touch is often shocking, his shooting leaves a lot to be desired. Last season was promising because he was new to regular first team football but there's no getting away from the fact that, for whatever has been going on off the pitch, he's been woeful on it this season. Instead of kicking on again he's gone completely backwards.

I think a fair part of why he's gone backwards is the system. He is an attacking wide player and we don't use those. In a 4-3-3 he could really shine. I like him a lot!

7 minutes ago, johnjeffersfanclub said:

I think a fair part of why he's gone backwards is the system. He is an attacking wide player and we don't use those. In a 4-3-3 he could really shine. I like him a lot!

He's played plenty of times as a wide player and has done next to nothing. If teams don't allow him space to run onto his own punts he's one of the most ineffective forward players I've seen in a Vale shirt for a while. Last season was hit and miss but concentrating on this season only, he's been appalling, and I think blaming the system is a cop out. Take away his pace and he's a Sunday league player.

2 hours ago, Nightwish said:

Rodney amazingly got 2.5 year contract with Walsall

Looks like he clearly wanted out then with that contract if he didn't want to sign an extension here and being honest i dont want players who dont want to play for us... it will be interesting to see who we replace him with

When was the last time we paid fees for 4 players in a season.which could now easily become 5

After last season,  we were looking to really get behind Rodney's for him to become a fans favourite who would respond likewise and who could  be possibly our star player for as long as we could keep hold of him.  Instead,  the total opposite has happened.  Just hope his, albeit raw talent, wasn't attempted. oo be coached out of him, because his unpredictability is what made him have the impact last season. 

4 minutes ago, Old fort said:

After last season,  we were looking to really get behind Rodney's him to become a fans favourite who would respond likewise and who could  be possibly our star player for as long as we could keep hold of him.  Instead,  the total opposite has happened.  Just hope his, albeit raw talent, wasn't attempted. oo be coached out of him, because his unpredictability is what made him have the impact last season. 

Managers and teams work players out. Rodney's only attribute is when the ball is knocked in behind a full-back and he has space to run into. Don't give him or us that space and you end up with a confused striker-winger that has one goal all season.

6 minutes ago, 1 said:

He’d be better in a formation that utilises wingers and wide forwards, if they do that they’ll play to his strengths. Good business every step of the way in the window. 

They might but opponents won't. They now know all about him. Last season he had that surprise element for most of it.

14 minutes ago, Beech said:

He's played plenty of times as a wide player and has done next to nothing. If teams don't allow him space to run onto his own punts he's one of the most ineffective forward players I've seen in a Vale shirt for a while. Last season was hit and miss but concentrating on this season only, he's been appalling, and I think blaming the system is a cop out. Take away his pace and he's a Sunday league player.

Bleak post, pal. Two assists vs Burton and the goals that kept us us aren't ineffective. 

The system doesn't work for him, Woz, Politic. It doesn't work for players who like to cut in.

He's hardly played this year, so discarding last season could be considered a cop out.

6 minutes ago, johnjeffersfanclub said:

Bleak post, pal. Two assists vs Burton and the goals that kept us us aren't ineffective. 

The system doesn't work for him, Woz, Politic. It doesn't work for players who like to cut in.

He's hardly played this year, so discarding last season could be considered a cop out.

I know he's had his issues off the pitch, but he's certainly not alone in that. I basically just see someone that doesn't have any attributes outside of his pace, and at nearly 24 doesn't know his best actual position. We used to have a player just like that, a pace merchant, only less crap - Lewis Haldane. A new club can just work for some players so I'm not saying that Rodney can't go to Walsall and make a success of it. But I don't see him as a loss for us in any shape or form.

The bottom line is that if we can’t find a place for Rod it’s best for all parties that he’s moved on.

Any player needs a run of games but he hadn’t been good enough to force himself into the managers plans this season.

I’ll remember him most for the mad Bolton game, where he ripped Santos to shreds with a tremendous show of power and pace, but equally he was frustrating to watch this season.

Some of the comments on the Walsall Rodney thread really are gold. It's mad at how wrong people can give an opinion of a player that is opposite to the actual reality, based on a three minute compilation.

"Decent signing I’d say. From the vale goals video looks like he scores all sorts of goals, left foot, right foot, headed so not a 1 trick pony."

Bahahaha! Anyway, we'll certainly move on, and if nothing else Rodney always came across as a nice bloke, so good luck to him.

36 minutes ago, Beech said:

Walsall fans generally seem extremely pleased to be signing someone who was our 5th or 6th choice forward and has scored all of one goal this season. Rodney's biggest problem is that he will never be clinical or intelligent enough to be a striker, and despite his pace has absolutely no skill or flair to be an effective wide player. Don't give him space to knock the ball 20 yards to run onto and he's rendered useless.

Walsall have basically become our feeder club.

Archived