onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Advert

1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

Makes monday more interesting now,will we try to replace Rodders and Cass now

I'm surprised this one has happened to be honest but as DF said if a club matches our valuation all our players are for sale. 

Its make an exciting at prospect. We could have some money (albeit unknown) burning a hole in our pocket to bring in X factor in a forward area to make a difference. Del Flitcroft would have had this one the bubble for the past few weeks,I'm convinced we would have had 2-3 replacements lined up ready to go.

Could be a really exciting Monday for a permanent signing plus another loan.

14 minutes ago, philmpv said:
20 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:
It’s something that we’ll probably all look out for now. If he does what should we take from that.?

Not much. Sometimes players work out, sometimes they don't. He was decent last season but not this. Good luck to him. If he starts banging them in, that would simply indicate that either he wasn't happy here, or that their style of play and chance creation suits him better than it did here this season. I won't be losing any sleep either way.

Phil, his goals kept us up. So what has changed

27 minutes ago, Mario said:

How would you stop the other team kicking our players causing impact injuries emoji848.png

How many of the injuries are impact injuries, though? Proctor's 2nd (aggravating a non-impact hernia), Wilson's foot? Is that it?

The vast majority of our injuries have come around the same time (November onwards) and can't be explained away through bad luck/players injuring ours. Most have been muscular, and even bone injuries can be made more likely through heavy load bearing via excess activity.

Something has gone wrong with our sports science/training. 

Phil, his goals kept us up. So what has changed
Who knows? Hes become a father, had covid. Could be either of those or neither. I do know that he's been largely dog dirt this season. Last seasons goals don't count for this one unfortunately. We can't keep players who aren't performing simply because of what they've done previously. We've made that mistake before

46 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

So if we had started a week later we would have expected these injuries a week later on?

Not sure how starting earlier affects injuries mid way through a season… timelines make no sense.

Also a few more weeks training didn’t cause a broken foot, a twisted ankle so bad it caused ligament damage and Proctors apparent kidney damage.

Proctor aggravated a hernia. The broken foot and twisted ankle are standard non-preventable injuries, I agree.

The rest; Gibbo's hamstring, Conlon's achilles, Taylor's quads, Lloyd's hamstring, Politic's groin, Walker's knee, whatever Worrall is carrying (probably ankle again), Amoo's 'strains' (plural), Proctor's first injury, whatever Hurst has got, Legge's 'freak' injury...

In terms of the pre-season, it isn't quite as linear as you suggest; you aren't just pushing along the injuries. If you start earlier (and possibly maintain heavy fitness work for longer, though I don't know if it's the case), then you increase the risks of injuries happening at any point, as the players had a shorter break from last season and had longer 'pre-season' before the intensity of matches kicked in. You also can make a player more susceptible to what some deem 'contact injuries'; they're more fatigued and therefore more likely to break down.

Muscle weakness can make an ankle roll more likely, hence why Cass talked about 'bulking up' in his recovery. Fatigue makes the muscles supporting your ankle weaker and more likely to do damage if you roll it (speaking from painful experience). Although it appears to be a 'freak' injury, fatigue increases the chances.

Whatever the cause, a serious investigation needs to occur in the summer. I think we're 50/50 to finish in the playoffs but these injuries have probably cost us top three, though we'll all hold out hope. We're either the most unlucky team of all time suffering from the most improbable string of unfortunate coincidences, or something has gone wrong.

2 hours ago, Sam Kelly's Left Boot said:

Rodney on his day is brilliant, but thats 2 games a season. Bags of pace, but as said before, he needs that pace to chase after his first touch.

Probably one of the most frustrating players to watch. Got lots of attributes going for him, but the touch of a baby elephant.

Good luck Rodders my son.

What are these lots of attributes though? He's pretty quick. But for a lad of his size he's often knocked off the ball by smaller men. More through a lack of desire than anything. His touch is often shocking, his shooting leaves a lot to be desired. Last season was promising because he was new to regular first team football but there's no getting away from the fact that, for whatever has been going on off the pitch, he's been woeful on it this season. Instead of kicking on again he's gone completely backwards.

I can understand the scepticism with the number of changes in the squad. No doubt more than you would want but realistically the only changes made to the 1st eleven are Holy,Hall and Hussey. Certainly 2 of those 3 should improve the team. I really don't see that as destabilising the 1st team.

The rest is only moving pieces around due to the horrendous injury problems and getting rid of deadwood .Providing the lads coming in are good characters,I'm positive they will be, I don't see the problem.

If we can hang on to the coat tails of of the play offs  over the next 4 weeks with Gibbo,Conlon & Proc to return we are band on target to reach the  play offs.

10 minutes ago, MBE said:

I can understand the scepticism with the number of changes in the squad. No doubt more than you would want but realistically the only changes made to the 1st eleven are Holy,Hall and Hussey. Certainly 2 of those 3 should improve the team. I really don't see that as destabilising the 1st team.

The rest is only moving pieces around due to the horrendous injury problems and getting rid of deadwood .Providing the lads coming in are good characters,I'm positive they will be, I don't see the problem.

If we can hang on to the coat tails of of the play offs  over the next 4 weeks with Gibbo,Conlon & Proc to return we are band on target to reach the  play offs.

Of the players that have left recently:

Burgess - Was promising a long while back but needed a change of club for his own sake. No loss at all.

Legge - Loved him to bits but Hall, his replacement, is a much better player considering this stage of Leon's career.

Politic - Great little luxury player to bring off the bench, and had his moments, but could also be bang average. Especially when starting games.

Rodney - One goal all season say's it all. Also has a first touch that goes further than a lot of players can kick it. Ability wise there's better players in your local park.

The injuries to Gibbons and Conlon are far worse than losing any of the above players.

19 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Proctor aggravated a hernia. The broken foot and twisted ankle are standard non-preventable injuries, I agree.

The rest; Gibbo's hamstring, Conlon's achilles, Taylor's quads, Lloyd's hamstring, Politic's groin, Walker's knee, whatever Worrall is carrying (probably ankle again), Amoo's 'strains' (plural), Proctor's first injury, whatever Hurst has got, Legge's 'freak' injury...

In terms of the pre-season, it isn't quite as linear as you suggest; you aren't just pushing along the injuries. If you start earlier (and possibly maintain heavy fitness work for longer, though I don't know if it's the case), then you increase the risks of injuries happening at any point, as the players had a shorter break from last season and had longer 'pre-season' before the intensity of matches kicked in. You also can make a player more susceptible to what some deem 'contact injuries'; they're more fatigued and therefore more likely to break down.

Muscle weakness can make an ankle roll more likely, hence why Cass talked about 'bulking up' in his recovery. Fatigue makes the muscles supporting your ankle weaker and more likely to do damage if you roll it (speaking from painful experience). Although it appears to be a 'freak' injury, fatigue increases the chances.

Whatever the cause, a serious investigation needs to occur in the summer. I think we're 50/50 to finish in the playoffs but these injuries have probably cost us top three, though we'll all hold out hope. We're either the most unlucky team of all time suffering from the most improbable string of unfortunate coincidences, or something has gone wrong.

I’m reading a list of injuries that players have recurring problems with… you can’t judge the sports science and certainly say something has “gone wrong” without knowing what it would have been like without implementing the new system. 

Politic arrived injured, unfortunately Gibbo has glass hamstrings, Walker has had an injury laden past, same Amoo.

For all we know we have implemented a system that has given us double the time for these players before they broke down and half the recovery time.

Maybe not… but we can’t know for sure.

Offer me our new sports science regime or the one we had last year. I’m picking this one at the moment. I think we have been desperately unlucky.

Sure, if it continues let’s assess… but writing it off on a singular view isn’t sound thinking.

Don’t get it with Rodney. Never have. He’s pretty useless most the time but can have flashes I think would be a fair assessment. Vale fans have this odd thing of making players who can’t get in the side world beaters even though we know they aren’t. Let’s be honest Amoo is in front of him now. Considering our strike force has been injured half the season and he still hasn’t managed to impress says it all. Won’t be missed as hasn’t played. 

"Highlights are just that but he does seem very quick and strong and can use both feet."

That's a cracking comment on the Walsall forum. He can use both feet. To do what, walk on?

Walsall fans generally seem extremely pleased to be signing someone who was our 5th or 6th choice forward and has scored all of one goal this season. Rodney's biggest problem is that he will never be clinical or intelligent enough to be a striker, and despite his pace has absolutely no skill or flair to be an effective wide player. Don't give him space to knock the ball 20 yards to run onto and he's rendered useless.

Archived