onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

2 hours ago, Quebec_Valiant said:

This is Alisson Vs Ecuador yesterday.  Maybe they just have different rules in Brazil, part football, part Mortal Kombat.

image.png.061de880bbda254e2ad7875d6a72791d.png

image.png.ec0b48d651f42b74b73685ee668bd363.png

This red card was somehow rescinded by VAR...... when earlier in the same game the Ecuador's keeper had been sent off for a "Lucas Chop"1535516713_Equadorgoalkeeper.jpg.8576551b34e553d3904b43b14340c63b.jpg1535516713_Equadorgoalkeeper.jpg.8576551b34e553d3904b43b14340c63b.jpg

Advert

I think its been a very positive January all things considered:

Legge replaced by Hall - upgrade

Lloyd replaced by Harratt -  upgrade

Burgess replaced by Charsley - upgrade 

Politic replaced by Cooper - jury's out 

The injured Proctor being backed up by Edmundson.

Gibbo/worral backed up by Hussey. 

Whitehead off the wage budget, Profit made on Johnson.

Could just do with winning a game now.

Very fair way of looking at it. That said, I don't think we can say Charsley is an upgrade on Burgess until he's played a few games for us (not other teams). Jury's out for me, as with any incoming player

Just now, philmpv said:
5 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

Very fair way of looking at it. That said, I don't think we can say Charsley is an upgrade on Burgess until he's played a few games for us (not other teams). Jury's out for me, as with any incoming player

I based that on the fact that Burgess hasn't contributed at all since Clarke came in. Maybe swap Burgess and Whitehead around on that list for a fairer comparison.

22 minutes ago, johnjeffersfanclub said:

Plenty of faith in the signing. Mansfield are a good side and he's been playing. 25 too, so room to improve. 

Of all the signings so far Hussey has been the most disappointing. Just hasn't hit the ground running! Early days though, but we seem to have a habit of getting nothing out of big name full backs - wilson, benning etc.

Shane Tudor......never has the reputation and actuality been further apart.  (admittedly not always a full back

I based that on the fact that Burgess hasn't contributed at all since Clarke came in. Maybe swap Burgess and Whitehead around on that list for a fairer comparison.
To be fair to Burgess, the only prolonged run in the side that he had was the second half of the nearly season, when he formed a great partnership with Taylor and was instrumental in our unbeaten run and great football, and keeping Conlon out of the side. Apart from that, he's had few opportunities. So I think it's only fair to judge him on that run in the side, and on that basis, he's a good player

16 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

Could just do with winning a game now.

I think they jury is still out on most of the signings tbf. I'm not forming conclusions on anyone 2 games in, upgrade or not, and especially not players who haven't/barely played yet.

I think in isolation the business looks OK but the issue of injuries/loan recalls is what will nail us. Politic, Conlon, Gibbons, Proctor, and Cass are massive misses. 4 of our key players plus a super sub who won games for us.

This is the busiest January in a long time and we have another signing on Monday, probably to replace Cass. 8 signings with 7 out of the door, plus injuries to three key players, in addition to our best striker not playing since mid-October.

Considering we had an early pre-season to 'gel the squad', we're seeing turnover of a scale that many clubs don't experience in summer, let alone mid-season with Saturday/Tuesdays around the corner. It's no one's fault, but 7th is an achievement in my view.

1 minute ago, Hoppers said:

Seems a bit strange to sign this lad (who I am sure will be another good youngen) if its Cass who is injured. Two different kinds of players

There's another one in on Monday. That'll be a Cass replacement if he is injured.

2 minutes ago, Doha said:

There's another one in on Monday. That'll be a Cass replacement if he is injured.

Ahhhh nice one - iv misread the forum a bit there then. Its a nightmare and for all the moaners, I agree with the post above - top 7 will be an achievement - iv never known a period like this for injuries in any club ever!!!!!!!!

7 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I think they jury is still out on most of the signings tbf. I'm not forming conclusions on anyone 2 games in, upgrade or not, and especially not players who haven't/barely played yet.

I think in isolation the business looks OK but the issue of injuries is what will nail us. Politic, Conlon, Gibbons, Proctor, and Cass are massive misses. 4 of our key players plus a super sub who won games for us.

This is the busiest January in a long time and we have another signing on Monday, probably to replace Cass. 

Considering we had an early pre-season to 'gel the squad', we're seeing turnover of a scale that many clubs don't experience in summer, let alone mid-season with Saturday/Tuesdays around the corner. It's no one's fault, but 7th is an achievement in my view.

Is it really that big a turnover though? Don't get me wrong, its certainly busier that we would have expected, but in terms of out goings and actual squad churn, Legge and Denis are the only two that have really contributed to the team this season. Lloyd Johnson and Burgess hardly played, Whitehead completely bombed out.

I think its definitely more business than we would have wanted to do, but our hand has been forced by this mental injury situation. Like you say with Saturday/Tuesday on the horizon, we might need all the new players we can get.

I know some of these are 'contact injuries' and not muscular but something has gone very amiss this season.

Proctor (twice), Wilson, Gibbons, Conlon, Lloyd, Cass, Walker, Amoo, Hurst, Taylor, Bailey, Legge, Rodney (?) all with absences of an extended period (more than a game or two). Even McFarlane from the youth team who was probably training with the first team.

Politic, Worrall, Jones, Martin have all carried knocks and missed the odd game. Even Hall went off with his hamstring after smashing into a post, about 1 game into his Vale career!

Only players who seem to have been injury free from August are Lucas, Stone, Smith, Garrity, Benning, Johnson (?), Amos (?), Burgess (?) and Pett. 7 outfield players, 3 of which never played and 1 of which is a bit-part. 

It's absolutely ridiculous. I've never seen anything like it in my life. I get it's not all hamstring strains and rugby scrums like the Askey days but something has gone wrong here, either with the intensity of training, load management, or recovery.

It's just a consistent pattern of players getting injured, far beyond the realm of coincidence and back luck. It's probably (not definitely) cost us top 3 and has had a slight chance on us missing top 7.

2 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I know some of these are 'contact injuries' and not muscular but something has gone very amiss this season.

Proctor (twice), Wilson, Gibbons, Conlon, Lloyd, Cass, Walker, Amoo, Hurst, Taylor, Bailey, Legge, Rodney (?) all with absences of an extended period (more than a game or two).

Politic, Worrall, Jones, Martin have all carried knocks and missed the odd game.

Only players who seem to have been injury free from August are Lucas, Stone, Smith, Garrity, Benning, and Pett. Four outfield players. 

It's absolutely ridiculous. I've never seen anything like it in my life. I get it's not all hamstring strains and rugby scrums like the Askey days but something has gone wrong here, either with the intensity of training, load management, or recovery.

It's just a consistent pattern of players getting injured, far beyond the realm of coincidence. It's probably (not definitely) cost us top 3 and has had a slight chance on us missing top 7.

I genuinely think it comes down to the heavy pitch and the heavy training ground. Probably why we were looking at other options for training.  

Just now, Walka003 said:

I genuinely think it comes down to the heavy pitch and the heavy training ground. Probably why we were looking at other options for training.  

Even under dinosaurs like Askey and Aspin it was never in this realm of ridiculousness, on the same pitch and training ground.

An overwhelming majority of our squad have been injured, most of them for a long period of time. Something has ballsed up. Training regime, recovery, our style of play, no idea. 

Archived