onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

5 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

DC says in his interview that he will roll with 3 keepers and they are all in competition with each other.

In reality I reckon we could see Stone go out on loan.

I think so too - not seen enough from Stone to have him as first choice.

Advert

6 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Played a lot for them in the league above, Ipswich fans not exactly complementary but can’t be that bad to play 37 league games last year. Guessing stone / Covalon will leave now, probably stone on loan. 

Also kept 17 clean sheets i think in that time and kept 1 clean sheet in 2 games for Cambridge,he will do for me

A tidy bit of business today. 

As good as Covolan my be, he’s hugely unreliable. It seems as though DC can’t put his trust in Cov, and he doesn’t seem to be convinced on Stone. Holy is no doubt going to be our number one. He’s played the majority of his career in League 1, so I think it’s a decent signing. 

Joel Cooper is the obvious replacement for Politic. Highly rated in NI, so let’s hope he can find his feet at Vale. We needed a direct replacement for Dennis and hopefully we’ve found him. I’ve seen people complaining about this signing because we don’t play with wingers as such, but this signing gives us the option to change formation when things aren’t quite ticking. It worked numerous times with Dennis.

Just a CM now, and then I think it’s been a decent window. 

23 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Holy is in no way coming in to be a backup. He's our number 1.

Joe, I don’t know if he’s coming as our number 1. Surely this means the end for both our current keepers, and they'll be gotten rid of in the summer or leave under their own esteem in the summer. If this is the case the club IMO is developing a revolving door policy. This surely can’t be good, as teams who use the least number of players, seem to be the most successful.

I accept that we’ve had to deal with injuries to important players, then we’ve got the Rodney scenario (whatever is happening there). There seems to be a lot of tinkering around, which wasn’t good for us at the beginning of the season.

6 hours ago, Joe B said:

I find it a contradiction that people bang on about the 'long-term plan' and not 'short-term gambles' when it comes to not exceeding the wage cap of £1,850, when we've also got the maximum amount of loan players. They're the definition of a gamble and short-termism (completely understandably).

Not saying I'm against it, just that it's clear that the club is not operating in 'long-term mode' as we speak, as they shouldn't. 

It would be silly to commit to more permanent signings when we only need players in until our first-teamers get back. Paying 6 months of salaries against 12 months+ for permanent? 

5 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Hopefully the other is a permanent signing! Can’t build or develop a side based on loans 

My guess would be he wants a squad he thinks will get us over the line whether thats loans or permanent,if we do go up he will do the same in League One and build for that league.

I think the next one will be permanent anyway

5 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Sounds a similar type player to Politic. Ball carrier, lots of goals and assists in Ireland, earned his move to Oxford and now looking for a chance to impress.

No disrespect to Politic as he did a great job for us but hopefully this lad will be fitter and ready to do 90 mins

When is his contract up? could this be a view to a permanent deal in the summer?

5 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

Joe, I don’t know if he’s coming as our number 1. Surely this means the end for both our current keepers, and they'll be gotten rid of in the summer or leave under their own esteem in the summer. If this is the case the club IMO is developing a revolving door policy. This surely can’t be good, as teams who use the least number of players, seem to be the most successful.

I accept that we’ve had to deal with injuries to important players, then we’ve got the Rodney scenario (whatever is happening there). There seems to be a lot of tinkering around, which wasn’t good for us at the beginning of the season.

I think Stone was always going to be number 2 and not our number 1 yet, but I think the signing of Holy is more a message to Covolan. Despite the managers comments about the red card after the Swindon game, and coupled  with Flitcrofts admission that they started looking for a keeper straight after that game could mean that behind the scenes they weren’t happy with Covolan. 

2 hours ago, Beech said:

New 11:

Holy

Smith   Hall   Jones   Hussey

Worrall   Pett   Garrity   Cooper

Wilson   Harratt

Subs: Stone, Martin, Cass, Benning, Walker, Amoo, Edmondson

Let's put a few past Scunthorpe tomorrow and get the good vibes back!

DC won't play that formation 

1 hour ago, Playa Amodores said:

I’ve really been disappointed with the time Mal Benning has spent on the pitch. We were chasing him for some time and believed he’d be going to a L1 team. When we signed him I believed that he was a marquee signing and would bring some quality and class to our first team and would certainly be a nominee for player of the season. For me very disappointing and twelve months of his career wasted. Does anyone else feel the same or did you expect it to work out this way.?

Mal Benning is like Aaron Martin in and out like the okey cokey ,how can play yourselves into any kind of rhythm if it's like that .

Smith gets chosen no matter what he could have 28 games a season where is he is bang average and he still gets selected no matter what. 

As soon as Martin ,Benning drop a clanger they out to be honest they probably don't know if they coming or going  

Give them a run of games and then lets see  .

Theres 25 games left to make a impact let's hope Mal Benning does.

UTV 

1 minute ago, Breadwinner said:

Mal Benning is like Aaron Martin in and out like the okey cokey ,how can play yourselves into any kind of rhythm if it's like that .

Smith gets chosen no matter what he could have 28 games a season where is he is bang average and he still gets selected no matter what. 

As soon as Martin ,Benning drop a clanger they out to be honest they probably don't know if they coming or going  

Give them a run of games and then lets see  .

Theres 25 games left to make a impact let's hope Mal Benning does.

UTV 

Agreed. They play 1 game then get dropped. Can’t build up any kind of rhythm being in and out of the side. Don’t even think Benning has been too bad he’s just not been as good as Gibbo, he’s certainly a huge step up on Fitzpatrick. I find it odd, some on here say you can’t write players off so soon - but are more than happy to with benning who can’t have started more than a handful of league games for us

10 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I think Stone was always going to be number 2 and not our number 1 yet, but I think the signing of Holy is more a message to Covolan. Despite the managers comments about the red card after the Swindon game, and coupled  with Flitcrofts admission that they started looking for a keeper straight after that game could mean that behind the scenes they weren’t happy with Covolan. 

1973, thank you for your reply. I’m just getting concerned that we’re talking about players careers who have been signed by DC, especially as we’ve only played half the games of this season.

2 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

1973, thank you for your reply. I’m just getting concerned that we’re talking about players careers who have been signed by DC, especially as we’ve only played half the games of this season.

Not every player we sign is going to make an impact, but I think it’s fair to say we’ve had more hits than misses this season. But in the case of the 2 players we’ve been discussing in these recent posts I think that Benning hasn’t done well in the formation that we’ve played to the point where we’ve had to have our right back play there. That research and decision comes down to the manager and the recruitment team as we knew we’d play with wing back's from the start. 

I actually think that in the case of Covolan that he’s a competent keeper and has done well in the main, but those red cards are costly and I’m guessing that would test the patience of the manager. Was he like that in the national league? A player that makes rash decisions? 

Archived