onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

5 minutes ago, philmpv said:
20 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:
Yeah 100%. As I say I just think having 5 on loan, 4 of which signed in 1 window is a bit excessive. 

I personally don't see an issue with it. The club will have both a long term strategy, and short term goals. One of the short term goals, for every season we remain in L2, will be to win promotion. The long term strategy is one of financial responsibility, improving the infrastructure, sustainability and continual improvement. Signing loan players, in theory, fits with the short term goal without compromising the long term strategy. If these loan players help us to win promotion this season, then great. If they don't, then we go again next season without the additional burden of having overspent and stretched our resources for next seasons squad upgrade. Stupid money changes hands in January for bang average players.

It does yeah. I wasn’t suggesting we spend stupid money on players at all. January is always a mess for clubs but deals are out there (Hall) 

My issue is that we have gone down this route numerous times before and been burned with it. I have much more faith in DC than I did Brown but I still and will always think signing 4 loan players in Jan is a bit over the top. 

I understand these loans might not be on much and in some cases the parent club may pay the majority of the wage, but I still think it would have been beneficial to maybe only sign 1 forward on loan, stick with Stone / give Covalon one more chance and put that money into signing someone permanently that will improve the starting 11 (like hall and hussey) rather than cover someone whilst they’re injured. 

I completely understand the signings - it’s just not something I think is the best route for us to go down. I’d much rather us try a couple of our own young players to be honest, give Bailey a go on the bench and don’t bring in Edmonson for example. 

I posted in another thread, I think because we had such a brilliant start to the season, expectations change, and some fans (me) feel like this could be our best opportunity to get out of this division for a while, given the teams in the league below and their spending power. i just would have liked us to push the boat and sign someone proven up top, just like we have will Hall and Hussey who are brilliant signings. Not break the bank or put the club at risk but just something more given the opportunity. 

Advert

11 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

give Bailey a go on the bench and don’t bring in Edmonson for example.

DC would have been absolutely crucified on that facebook group and to a lesser extent on here if came out in a press conference and said Proctor's injury replacement is 1 senior appearance Eden Bailey.

The Eden Bailey who also has been off injured.

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

The Ale and the Vale pod made a great point on Cov.

His sending off are not all the same thing... its not a systematic issue he has.

1. Wasn't a sending off

2. Caused by trying to be too clever coming off his line... as he was being asked to play

He then ABSOLUTELY stopped doing that, he got his head right, adjusted his risk appetite and was putting his foot through the ball when he needed to

3. Laid one on a bloke that most fans were praying would have one laid on him.

He isnt repeating the same mistake over and over and over again.... he doesnt have a career littered with sendings off.

3 in 20 isnt great... but he has some excellent qualities and throwing him away because of it doesnt feel like a sensible approach. Feels a bit overly emotional.

I disagree. I don’t think the issue with the league ones is that they are all separate things, because I think one thing ties them together and thats the fact that he’s felt the need to get himself involved in the game by doing something stupid for no reason. First one if he launches it as he should then he doesn’t get caught trying to be clever on the ball. Second one if he just catches it as normal then he stays on the pitch.  But now opposition  managers will look at both incidents and say to their players that they need to press him when he is coming to claim the ball with his hands or if he’s coming to kick it because he’s liable to do something out of the ordinary instead of doing the basics. 

2 interesting signings on paper. Cooper looks straight swap for Politic - understandable.

The keeper I expect in straight from the start. I can’t see him dropping a league just to go from nb.3 to a nb.2. 

Really hope money is left in the coffers to sign a creative AM. Feel we need that spark in the midfield to open teams up at home when plan a is not working.

New 11:

Holy

Smith   Hall   Jones   Hussey

Worrall   Pett   Garrity   Cooper

Wilson   Harratt

Subs: Stone, Martin, Cass, Benning, Walker, Amoo, Edmondson

Let's put a few past Scunthorpe tomorrow and get the good vibes back!

1 hour ago, Playa Amodores said:

Until that incident he was MOTM having pulled off two fantastic saves. Says a lot for how poorly the team played when your looking at your keeper before my MOTM.

Some of the opposition Vale have played against this season, their goal keepers picked up MOTM awards.  As you say, that was because we were all over them and they pulled off loads of cracking saves.  We would prefer our midfield or strikers picked up these awards.

2 hours ago, valeparklife said:

I don't worry too much anymore about loan signings we make, as at the very least we have scouted them and thought about it.

I have no idea how we would have scouted Cooper as he's played 4 league minutes this season, unless Flitters was scouting the NIFL last season. Maybe attendance at Oxford reserve games.

39 minutes ago, Beech said:

New 11:

Holy

Wilson   Harratt

Not sure dc knows how play 4 4 2

Interesting comments regarding the Devante Rodney situation.  I know that "every player at every club is up for sale" as the quote went, but does this also suggest an underlying problem between club & Devante? There's an indication that he has turned down an offer of an extension to his contract ("flatlined") as they put it, so is this because there's some more problems between club & player than just a fitness issue?

There would appear to have been some offer(s) but these seem to fall short of Vale's valuation.  However, how is that valuation being pitched?  At last season's scoring record, his goal tally (not) this season or, because of the fact that he's currently injured and hasn't played much at all this season? Must be a difficult conundrum for PV and any club that is currently showing an interest in him!  Any other views/info?

41 minutes ago, Beech said:

New 11:

Holy

Wilson   Harratt

Cooper? Based on 4 minutes of football this season? 

We won’t play with wingers unless 2 or Rodney, Amoo or Worrall are fit. It will be 352 with probably the only change being the keeper unless players are coming back like Jones 

I’m guessing it will be. 

Holy 

Cass Smith Martin Hall Hussey

Walker Pett Garrity

Wilson Harratt

So, 2 weeks ago we were debating how poor Gibbo would feel about us signing a permanent proven player who plays his position.  Gibbo now out injured so looks like good squad management.

Debate now around why we have signed 4 loanees to replace 2 loanees who have returned to their parent clubs, and 2 long term injured / proven strikers!

With 5 loanees and only 2 windows per season option are 5-0, 4-1 or 3-2 in each window.

Reality is no matter which way we went views would differ, but ultimately it is onlyDC or DF who live and die by the decisions.

Archived