onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Advert

3 minutes ago, The man in the pub said:

In trying not to be overly emotional there is a saying about events that happen in threes that springs to mind

1st time . You were unlucky

2nd time. You were careless

3rd time . Its you.

Get the feeling DC feels its the last one.

That’s doing the same thing 3 times.

I get it… it’s frustrating and he needs to sort his head out.

The point made was that he has a problem and will keep doing it, I’m suggesting he won’t because there isn’t a “thing” he keeps doing…His 2nd and 3rd sending offs were completely different issues.

We could potentially end the season with all 5 loans starting, doing well and then leaving and then we’re back to square 1 needing to sign another 5 to replace them. 
2/3 loans are fine, i think 5 is over the top. 

But that's not the case is it? Of the 5 loan players we now have, 2 are replacing other loans (which we would have to replace anyway), 1 is a stopgap whilst Proctor gets fit, and 1 is to provide GK cover. Once everybody is fit and behaving, I can see only Cass needing to be replaced without question. All of the others, you would think, are unlikely to get into our fully fit 18.

1 minute ago, philmpv said:

But that's not the case is it? Of the 5 loan players we now have, 2 are replacing other loans (which we would have to replace anyway), 1 is a stopgap whilst Proctor gets fit, and 1 is to provide GK cover. Once everybody is fit and behaving, I can see only Cass needing to be replaced without question. All of the others, you would think, are unlikely to get into our fully fit 18.

100%

My view of our transfer business so far...

Legge out, Hall in <- Great bit of business, Hall always seemed to be one of Harrogates best players to me and he has looked good so far for us too, big, imposing and steady on the deck. Legge was a great servant but it was time for him to move on and his 'head it away in any direction at all costs' style of play doesn't fit with our system now.

Johnson out, Hussey in <- Good to get money for Johnno, and getting a player of Husseys experience and quality is a good move. Glad we've got him now Gibbo is injured but we will definitely miss Gibbos drive and tenacity.

Amos, Burgess, Whitehead out <- Not really fussed here other than a bit disappointed we didnt get Burgess to kick on a bit. Think he'll do well for Grimsby.

Politic out, Cooper in <- Jury is out, Politic was capable of changing a match in an instant but could also be anonymous, I really wanted to keep him but we couldn't compete with what was on offer. Cooper looks to be a good replacement on paper, good goal scoring record, can use both feet and play anywhere across the front - question is, why hasnt he had a bigger chance at Oxford?

Lloyd out, Harratt in <- Massive upgrade for me, Harratt looks to be a natural finisher and puts a good shift in.

Proctor injured - Edmonson in <- Wish we had a fully fit JP, having him JW and DR means it was always unlikely we would bring in a big money forward - jury is out on Edmondson for me, he was highly rated when younger - looks like he'll run himself into the ground every game but not really seen much quality (which other loan teams fans have said too) need to give him a chance though.

Holy in <- this cant hurt, we need 3 keepers if our youth product isnt good enough. Who will be no 1  now though - honestly not sure!

We need a midfielder to come in given Conlon and Taylor being out - but I think we needed another body in there anyway to offer a bit more physicality and attacking threat.

Overall its a lot of upheaval though - not helped by our horrendous injury list and I reckon the business would have been  different if everyone was fit and we hadn't lost Dennis.

...have I missed anyone!?

For me, I am looking forward to the midfield addition. I feel we need more guile/ creativity to spark us into life. 
Saying that, the forward line are required to show and look to get into dangerous areas with some anticipation of what MAY happen to create a goal scoring opportunity.

On the season overall, I feel we are moving forward and we have had a disappointing injury crisis. Twenty plus games to go and I hope we give it a real go.

33 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Tin hat on….

Great another loan player… This tactic never works. If they play well they go somewhere else

I don't really agree. I think if you sign someone in the first-half of the season you can lose them (such as Politic or Tom Anderson) in January but these are January to end of season deals. They won't be able to move anywhere till the summer so they are here till the end of the season.

By that time, we may well have our injured players back so - if the loanees haven't worked out (and that can happen, they are a gamble) then they can be replaced by our own players - if they have worked out then great, it's going to add competition in the closing stages of the season. It also means we shouldn't have to rush any injured players back too early.

I get that at the end of the day if any are massive successes then they aren't our players but I can't see what else you can do without breaking the wage bill. To be fair to Vale, in addition to the four January loans, we've also added two permanent deals in Hussey and Hall. 

31 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

I would have liked Tyree Simpson… but we can’t afford him either.

I totally understand you preferring not to have loans. But please tell me you can see the logic behind the decision?

Yeah 100%. As I say I just think having 5 on loan, 4 of which signed in 1 window is a bit excessive. 

10 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Yeah 100%. As I say I just think having 5 on loan, 4 of which signed in 1 window is a bit excessive. 

Sometimes life doesn't deal you the cards you were hoping for... making sensible plays based on those is the best way forward.

I don't get why anyone would have an issue with loan players in January. We've got a large outlay of wages currently injured (Conlon, Gibbo, Proctor) suspended (Cov) or unfit (Wilson). If we are rigid with this wage structure situation, surely cheapish loans to cover these boys (who have gotten us to 2nd in the league before it all started falling to bits) is the way to go?

45 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

The point made was that he has a problem and will keep doing it, I’m suggesting he won’t because there isn’t a “thing” he keeps doing…His 2nd and 3rd sending offs were completely different issues.

I agree with this. The first two were the same issue, directly resulting from his transition to playing at a higher standard while also doing something that helps the whole team play further up the pitch. Covolan clearly worked on this and has looked good in this area since his opening day red card.

The third red was appalling. Terrible timing in a big game we were lucky still to be in (actually lucky in part thanks to Covolan's saves) and completely unnnecessary and brainless. He deserved the strong criticism, and might have to do more to win his place back with Stone looking reasonable, or with Holy getting a shot - if so, Covolan could have no complaints. Personally, I would be happy to see him back in the team, since his better, faster distribution can help us create more and his sweeping means we're less likely to sit too deep.

I do think Stone looks a good signing though - he definitely has potential, especially if he can increase his composure on the ball. It would be good if he could get a lot of game time on loan somewhere, assuming Covolan or Holy gets the start ahead of him, though it doesn't sound like that will happen based on Clarke's comments.

I personally don't see an issue with it. The club will have both a long term strategy, and short term goals. One of the short term goals, for every season we remain in L2, will be to win promotion. The long term strategy is one of financial responsibility, improving the infrastructure, sustainability and continual improvement. Signing loan players, in theory, fits with the short term goal without compromising the long term strategy. If these loan players help us to win promotion this season, then great. If they don't, then we go again next season without the additional burden of having overspent and stretched our resources for next seasons squad upgrade. Stupid money changes hands in January for bang average players.

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

The Ale and the Vale pod made a great point on Cov.

His sending off are not all the same thing... its not a systematic issue he has.

1. Wasn't a sending off

2. Caused by trying to be too clever coming off his line... as he was being asked to play

He then ABSOLUTELY stopped doing that, he got his head right, adjusted his risk appetite and was putting his foot through the ball when he needed to

3. Laid one on a bloke that most fans were praying would have one laid on him.

He isnt repeating the same mistake over and over and over again.... he doesnt have a career littered with sendings off.

3 in 20 isnt great... but he has some excellent qualities and throwing him away because of it doesnt feel like a sensible approach. Feels a bit overly emotional.

Until that incident he was MOTM having pulled off two fantastic saves. Says a lot for how poorly the team played when your looking at your keeper before my MOTM.

49 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Ultimately the recurring " thing " is that he gets sent off. Not really a stat man, but im sure there are wiser heads on OVF, it is unusual for a goalkeeper to be sent off in the football league whatever the issue. Interesting to know how often it happens in a season. The point being that if DC thinks likewise he probably thinks he can fill the position with a similar quality player who will remain on the pitch. Games can hinge on split decisions, DC may want a goalie who he can trust to make better ones. 

Whatever our opinions it wont be mine or your decision IC

Archived