onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Just now, Iron Curtain said:

Ideally it wouldnt be loans.

But injuries have left us a massive hole that we need to fill and loans seem a sensible approach.

I’d like more of a mix of the two personally, I think 4 loan signings in one window is a bit ott. Another unproven player with barely any football league experience. Think we need more of a mix. 

Advert

2 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Keep Covolan who suits how we play better, better competition for Holy. Stone is young and is developing into a great keeper, would benefit from a loan more than Cov would.

What worries me about Cov is that he isnt young and 3 sending offs in 20 odd games is a really bad stat especially for a goalie.  Cannot think of another goalie in all the leagues with a comparable record. Indicates to me that he doesnt learn and has in his nature and temperament a rashness/craziness that he cant control.  I am sure after the first couple of dismissals our coaching staff have really stressed the error of his ways and still he continues to see the blue mist. Stone has been more steadier and as you say is younger and could learn and improve without being a liability.

Just now, valiant_593 said:

I’d like more of a mix of the two personally, I think 4 loan signings in one window is a bit ott. Another unproven player with barely any football league experience. Think we need more of a mix. 

So far we have signed 2 excellent additions to the squad.... we may not be done.

The whole point is that we wouldnt be signing these loans if we didnt have these injuries.

For example, We wouldn't have gone near Edmondson if Proctor wasnt injured. They clearly hope Proctor will be back at some point and therefore what's the point of signing another expensive striker to cover that short term gap? How many strikers of the quality you want would do a 6 month deal?

3 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I’m happy for the new keeper to start straight away. Then probably Cov is number 2 and Stone gets loaned out. Plenty of games at a higher level, even with mixed reviews, he’s has to be number 1 Saturday 

Does this imply a complete lack of faith in our original two goalkeepers?  Will be interesting to see who is on the team sheet on Saturday out of the two who are available.

10 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Tin hat on….

Great another loan player… This tactic never works. If they play well they go somewhere else - that’s 5 loan players now. Too many imo and bringing back memories of the Michael brown era!!

Surely there are funds to sign players within the wage budget that DC and Flickers mentioned? 

Cooper is replacing Politic so it isn't yet another loan player, we thought we had Politic until the end of the season. The loans that have come in are for injured players, Clarke likes a smaller squad to manage so when he does have a fully fit squad he's going to have more players than he needs.

3 minutes ago, The man in the pub said:

What worries me about Cov is that he isnt young and 3 sending offs in 20 odd games is a really bad stat especially for a goalie.  Cannot think of another goalie in all the leagues with a comparable record. Indicates to me that he doesnt learn and has in his nature and temperament a rashness/craziness that he cant control.  I am sure after the first couple of dismissals our coaching staff have really stressed the error of his ways and still he continues to see the blue mist. Stone has been more steadier and as you say is younger and could learn and improve without being a liability.

The Ale and the Vale pod made a great point on Cov.

His sending off are not all the same thing... its not a systematic issue he has.

1. Wasn't a sending off

2. Caused by trying to be too clever coming off his line... as he was being asked to play

He then ABSOLUTELY stopped doing that, he got his head right, adjusted his risk appetite and was putting his foot through the ball when he needed to

3. Laid one on a bloke that most fans were praying would have one laid on him.

He isnt repeating the same mistake over and over and over again.... he doesnt have a career littered with sendings off.

3 in 20 isnt great... but he has some excellent qualities and throwing him away because of it doesnt feel like a sensible approach. Feels a bit overly emotional.

Think we need a proper striker regardless, alongside proctor and Wilson. Both are injury prone and both will take a while to come back 100% fit. I personally would have liked to see Loft sign, give him a 2.5 year deal and then there’s proper competition and he would cover us whilst proctor and Wilson aren’t ready. Granted the budget Dosent cover this. But that would have been my preferred way, rather than more loan signings. 

A signing shouldn’t be to cover a gap, it should be to improve the side instead of plugging holes. 

Im a bit worried if we start a game with 5 loan signings all on from the start. A worry I always have with loans is that if they perform well. We could potentially end the season with all 5 loans starting, doing well and then leaving and then we’re back to square 1 needing to sign another 5 to replace them. 

2/3 loans are fine, i think 5 is over the top. 

Tin hat on….
Great another loan player… This tactic never works. If they play well they go somewhere else - that’s 5 loan players now. Too many imo and bringing back memories of the Michael brown era!!
Surely there are funds to sign players within the wage budget that DC and Flickers mentioned? 

Clubs never get promoted with loan players ? I wasn’t aware of that

2 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Cooper is replacing Politic so it isn't yet another loan player, we thought we had Politic until the end of the season. The loans that have come in are for injured players, Clarke likes a smaller squad to manage so when he does have a fully fit squad he's going to have more players than he needs.

Politic was / is proven as this level, cooper has played 6 matches in English football. Both loans but I’d argue of different levels (I’m saying this and I know I’ve never seen Cooper play) he may be brilliant and obviously I / we all need to give him time to show that, which I’m more than happy to do. Just on the face of it, it’s a different kind of signing to politic imo. 

9 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Think we need a proper striker regardless, alongside proctor and Wilson. Both are injury prone and both will take a while to come back 100% fit. I personally would have liked to see Loft sign, give him a 2.5 year deal and then there’s proper competition and he would cover us whilst proctor and Wilson aren’t ready. Granted the budget Dosent cover this. But that would have been my preferred way, rather than more loan signings. 

A signing shouldn’t be to cover a gap, it should be to improve the side instead of plugging holes. 

Im a bit worried if we start a game with 5 loan signings all on from the start. A worry I always have with loans is that if they perform well. We could potentially end the season with all 5 loans starting, doing well and then leaving and then we’re back to square 1 needing to sign another 5 to replace them. 

2/3 loans are fine, i think 5 is over the top. 

I would have liked Tyree Simpson… but we can’t afford him either.

I totally understand you preferring not to have loans. But please tell me you can see the logic behind the decision?

8 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

The Ale and the Vale pod made a great point on Cov.

His sending off are not all the same thing... its not a systematic issue he has.

1. Wasn't a sending off

2. Caused by trying to be too clever coming off his line... as he was being asked to play

He then ABSOLUTELY stopped doing that, he got his head right, adjusted his risk appetite and was putting his foot through the ball when he needed to

3. Laid one on a bloke that most fans were praying would have one laid on him.

He isnt repeating the same mistake over and over and over again.... he doesnt have a career littered with sendings off.

3 in 20 isnt great... but he has some excellent qualities and throwing him away because of it doesnt feel like a sensible approach. Feels a bit overly emotional.

In trying not to be overly emotional there is a saying about events that happen in threes that springs to mind

1st time . You were unlucky

2nd time. You were careless

3rd time . Its you.

Get the feeling DC feels its the last one.

I don't worry too much anymore about loan signings we make, as at the very least we have scouted them and thought about it.

I always remember back to the days of a January transfer window loan and players like Alex Prohouly!

Don't know much about either of the loans, but they shall get my backing.

I don't think we're going to be anywhere near to a promotion side this season though. It's a shame we couldn't have kept Proctor and Wilson fit as I'm sure we'd have a few more points on the board now. All the comings and goings will likely affect our chances this season.

We're building a decent squad and moving forward. Which is better than I can say about the last few years!

Archived