onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

18 minutes ago, rob1983 said:

Eventually if you spend enough money you'll be successful.

What’s the time frame for your return on investment there?

There is also the possibility that you run out of money first- Derby / Bury / Notts County / Bolton / Barnsley……….

Advert

1 minute ago, tisdeano said:

In the first season in over 20 years we have spent money for 3 players , yet some fans still bemoaning our lack of spending

It’s no wonder football finances are in a complete mess in general

Beggars belief that some fans cannot accept that we now have a Club on a correct, reasonably financially stable basis and our future, in the hands of Carol and Kevin is assured.

I've been around long enough to have endured season after season of false horizons/broken promises and utter shattering of dreams. I now realize that our great Club is in safe and honest hands so my latter years are able to watch/support and follow my favourites without any fear of us relinquishing our League status. That alone must ensure fans should back the Club to the hilt and not involve themselves in financial deals in the Club.

Carry on Carol et al and we are there to continue our support.

Anyway.... enough of the nonsense about budgets (ours is sensible and appropriate.) We are about to sign three new players. Any ideas who they might be. Guesses based on rumors that have circulated recently.....

Keeper - Tomas Holy??

Midfielder - Dean Campbell??

Forward - Brad Young??

Anyone else been mentioned?

I’d love to see Rodney at 100% fulfilling his potential. But will that ever happen? What people say publicly and behind closed doors are two different things. I believe Rodney’s attitude more than anything else has rubbed some of the Vale hierarchy up the wrong way. 

I can`t say I am doing somersaults over the possible signing of another novice striker. I would prefer to see a 100% fit Rodney playing, pace and power always works at this level.  
Problem is that you need to tell Rodney that. He has pace and power to burn but never uses it

12 minutes ago, cactuselves said:

Anyway.... enough of the nonsense about budgets (ours is sensible and appropriate.) We are about to sign three new players. Any ideas who they might be. Guesses based on rumors that have circulated recently.....

Keeper - Tomas Holy??

Midfielder - Dean Campbell??

Forward - Brad Young??

Anyone else been mentioned?

I think we need a ch before striker if Rodney goes then winger/forward but experienced 

3 minutes ago, mattpvfc said:
58 minutes ago, rob1983 said:
Eventually if you spend enough money you'll be successful.

Football doesn't work that way unfortunately .

if you look throughout the EFL and the Premiership , the teams (95% or more ) that spend the most money have the most success , its a fact of business life , and running a football club is a business , Carol and her team have put the club back on an even footing , all revenue is now being fed back into the club , not into a fat controllers pocket , gates are up , expectation is up , so I am sorry investment is paramount to keep the momentum going  

if you look throughout the EFL and the Premiership , the teams (95% or more ) that spend the most money have the most success , its a fact of business life , and running a football club is a business , Carol and her team have put the club back on an even footing , all revenue is now being fed back into the club , not into a fat controllers pocket , gates are up , expectation is up , so I am sorry investment is paramount to keep the momentum going  
Until we have a Saudi or Russian with unlimited money willing to invest in Burslem we have to take it steady. Your unlimited investment ends up with just a handful of clubs winning everything.

Seems a lot of people are making the very easy and very popular point that we shouldn't overspend, which I fully agree with and have wanted for years. It's Carol's business and she should spend as she wants to, after what she has done for us. I don't want her going over the budget at all, and have never advocated as such.

My only point has been that, if we remain within the overall budget, I don't have an issue with us giving a player more than £1,850 a week if he's the right profile to increase the chances we get promoted. There's price inflation in January and the players we need to get us up (in the Purse/Hughes type) may cost us more than that. I don't think it'll have the impact on 'squad morale' as some think, as these are grown men. 

It's very fun, easy, and goes down well to post 'impatient and bankrupting the club!', and whilst two on here have daftly made that point, my point is more to do with working within the existing wage budget but maybe offering a bit more to a key player at a crucial juncture in the season. Spend a tad more on a forward and less on a CB, maybe, idk.

Not going to kick up a fuss when Flitcroft sticks to his guns - there's a business model and he's done enough to warrant time to see it through. Just don't lump me in with the clowns who just want unfettered spending, as that's nowhere near my point. 

Archived