onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

4 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

I have run teams before and currently at work and have had both a secret and open banding of salaries for every grade in the past. In my experience a few things hold true.

1. In a secret salary situation, everyone knows everyones salary and bonus. Even more so with the younger generation.... I imagine thats amplified if you have an agent.

2. When the team has open knowledge of bandings and pay, the amount of agro and moaning fell through the floor. The right characters knew what the pay was and how it was earned. Those I wanted in the team got it... those I didnt because of their attitude were unsurprisingly the ones that were not happy and I moved them on. Of the 3 people that applied to, 2 have asked to come back. I said no immediately.

3. When recruiting, it was far easier in the open knowledge example. Crazy expectations were managed easily. If someone wanted to be at the higher end of the bad I could point to exact things that were missing from their work, what expectations were and what needed to change for them to get there.

4. In the open example, Bonuses because vital and how they were measured and earned drove high performance... in the closed example, it was the best negotiators that go what they wanted.

4 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

I have run teams before and currently at work and have had both a secret and open banding of salaries for every grade in the past. In my experience a few things hold true.

1. In a secret salary situation, everyone knows everyones salary and bonus. Even more so with the younger generation.... I imagine thats amplified if you have an agent.

2. When the team has open knowledge of bandings and pay, the amount of agro and moaning fell through the floor. The right characters knew what the pay was and how it was earned. Those I wanted in the team got it... those I didnt because of their attitude were unsurprisingly the ones that were not happy and I moved them on. Of the 3 people that applied to, 2 have asked to come back. I said no immediately.

3. When recruiting, it was far easier in the open knowledge example. Crazy expectations were managed easily. If someone wanted to be at the higher end of the bad I could point to exact things that were missing from their work, what expectations were and what needed to change for them to get there.

4. In the open example, Bonuses because vital and how they were measured and earned drove high performance... in the closed example, it was the best negotiators that go what they wanted.

Good post IC! Historically, there are several clubs who have been negligent in not having a budget they stuck to, in the chase for success...many of these have had to be bailed out over the last couple of decades, and some of these have been fortunate to be still in business. It would be good for football as a whole if every club has a sustainable budget - and stuck to it?

Advert

1 hour ago, LancyTony said:

Spending on the backroom staff doesn't affect the playing budget. Spending on a sensible backroom staff shows that - finally - some thought is being given to the long-term of the club. Also, staff have left since DF started to assemble the backroom staff he...and the owners...believed they needed to become a successful and sustainable football club. The romantic idea that we just need a Rudgie in charge is...sadly...outdated.  

What would Vale Park have been like without the Rudge era?  Mainly terraced, old Bycars stand, no cover Hamil end, no Lorne St stand. At least we now have a ground to cope with a spell in the Championship even if it takes a few seasons to get there, we are starting with better conditions. 

48 minutes ago, blackdog said:

I feared at some point Carol would be accused of not "Splashing the cash" personally I think it's grossly unfair, I notice that the WUM's are starting to dig Carol out, she does not under any circumstances deserve that.  She is building a club from the bottom up after years of neglect and don't forget liquidations, for goodness sake we don't need that scenario again.  I realise it wont be popular but patience is the key.

Spot on. I admire how Carol is structuring the club and putting the foundations in place that should breed success. She is investing in the infrastructure and providing a very competitive budget at the same time. 

I for one am happy to be patient and watch the club grow year on year under her stewardship. Unfortunately the majority of football fans demand instance success, which is clearly demonstrated on here with the knee jerk reactions at currently being 10th with half the season left. 

Let’s see where we are come May and then we can discuss whether progress has been made this season. UTV 

3 hours ago, Fosse69 said:
4 hours ago, Joe B said:
I honestly would prefer promotion over a sustainable squad. All for the latter stuff but we need to escape his hell pronto. No more Stevenage away. 

One promotion place left assuming Tranmere or Mansfield burn up. So the lottery of the POs left. How much do we need to spend to change that? What were the expectations at the beginning of the season, the lottery or top 3?

Nobody is certain of automatic promotion this season - not even FGR! We've beaten them, and I think we've beaten around half of the teams above and around us...and we're likely to be coming out of this horrible bad patch, whilst other clubs may have theirs to come?

Give us a decent transfer budget.

Ok

All the players are injured, replace them all with equally good players that want similar wages, while also paying the costly-assembled injured players.

Ok, but within reason.

Within reason?! What a <ovf censored> owner.

😆

2 hours ago, Rocky said:

My comments are balanced. You don’t get promoted because of the size of your stadium or because you deserve it for being a big club. You said we are guaranteed play offs and i pointed out that we absolutely are not. Manage your expectations better because it’s these sorts of ridiculous views that put pressure on the club when they are not met. 

Let’s be honest, Vale Park is not a Premier League stadium. We have a big capacity because the railway stand and bycars are old standing areas filled with seats. In facility terms we are behind many clubs even in league 2.

2 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

Why should Rodney be off? He has a contract until 6/2023

Fairly sure he won't be sold unless a certain figure is met? I don't think DF plays poker unless he has a good hand! If Rodney pulls his socks up - when he's fit again - he will be in the team...if not, we've shown we don't carry passengers in the squad, any more!

1 hour ago, Danish Valiant said:

I don't think a wage cap is a bad idea at all. But you can always discuss where to place the cap. We've decided on 1850, knowing that that would put us out of the running, with a certain ilk of players. So I guess the question is not why we have a wage cap, but why they decided on 1850, and not ie. 2500, which would make us able to attract another level of players?

Maybe...just maybe...the budget has been sensibly set with the money the club is expected to bring in? 

3 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

So...not great for a while, then?

You have a lot to say Mr Lancy.  So I hang on your every word as an expert.  Could I ask you to explain why we are rubbish, and facing our longest stay in the lowest league in our history? And are crap? Very interested to hear your view. 

1 hour ago, rsb said:

In two games time we will have two keepers so why do we need a third two won't get game time as we don't have any reserve matches each week. unless one is being let go.

I reckon you answered the question which only remains who would leave?

He’s not done anything wrong specifically but I would send Stone out on loan so he can benefit from playing games. I think we need to see if he can be the long term keeper.

Let Cov battle it out with another keeper. We need league experience in this area of the squad.

1 hour ago, blackdog said:

I feared at some point Carol would be accused of not "Splashing the cash" personally I think it's grossly unfair, I notice that the WUM's are starting to dig Carol out, she does not under any circumstances deserve that.  She is building a club from the bottom up after years of neglect and don't forget liquidations, for goodness sake we don't need that scenario again.  I realise it wont be popular but patience is the key.

Black dog, you’re going to have to educate me. What is the meaning of WUM’s.

Thank you

Archived