onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Just now, Doha said:

Smith's in contract for another 18 months. Gibbo has likely just lost the chance of a summer move even with today's news from Phil Bowers that it might not be too bad after all.

Not sure what's worse with Gibbo, whether it was the same hamstring as before or the other one. Either way has negative connotations.

Has smithy signed an extension? I thought he was up this summer.

Advert

1 hour ago, rob1983 said:

Wait till wrexham and Stockport get promoted we'll have less chance next year. Not sure we should be shelling out for a director of football and a manager at this level. Spending far to much money on staff.

Understand your point but for me we have a long term vision to build a sustainable football club.  To do that you need to have the right infrastructure in place. I'm quite comfortable where we are with good support staff at different levels of the club. 

Players don't necessarily sign for money. Listen to our signings under DC why they chose Vale. It's the vision of the club, facilities, staff and style of football - money obviously helps but its not the only factor.

I have run teams before and currently at work and have had both a secret and open banding of salaries for every grade in the past. In my experience a few things hold true.

1. In a secret salary situation, everyone knows everyones salary and bonus. Even more so with the younger generation.... I imagine thats amplified if you have an agent.

2. When the team has open knowledge of bandings and pay, the amount of agro and moaning fell through the floor. The right characters knew what the pay was and how it was earned. Those I wanted in the team got it... those I didnt because of their attitude were unsurprisingly the ones that were not happy and I moved them on. Of the 3 people that applied to, 2 have asked to come back. I said no immediately.

3. When recruiting, it was far easier in the open knowledge example. Crazy expectations were managed easily. If someone wanted to be at the higher end of the bad I could point to exact things that were missing from their work, what expectations were and what needed to change for them to get there.

4. In the open example, Bonuses because vital and how they were measured and earned drove high performance... in the closed example, it was the best negotiators that go what they wanted.

Whilst all that is true, football is a weird industry with a very strange market. 

I agree with everyone in that the wage structure worked well till the injuries. Now we're in a position where we're 10th and not in good form at all. The signings we need to address this are probably (considering January inflation) going to cost more than £1,850 a week. As long as those signings don't push us above the overall budget (which I would never want), is it that damaging, providing we win games?

It's up to the club whether we stick or twist. Maybe we stick to our guns and hope, and then retool in the summer if we fall short, potentially with Stockport and Wrexham joining Salford in constricting the escape ladder out of this tinpot league.

I'm probably impatient, but as been said, this club hasn't spent more than 5 consecutive seasons in the bottom tier since the late 40s. Money is arriving in this league very soon. Big decision for Flitters.

9 minutes ago, Doha said:

What you don't see in that article is everything else.

Pension matching and salary sacrifice benefits.

Goal bonus.

Win bonus.

Top 7 bonus.

Finishing place + promotion bonus.

They're trying to incentivise success rather than reward complacency. As Hobblesworth said it was working extremely well until the injuries struck.

Correct.  I seem to remember DC saying we’re heavily weighted towards incentive bonus payments, and one element of that was linked to being in the top 7.  Not his exact words but something along those lines.

1 minute ago, Joe B said:

Whilst all that is true, football is a weird industry with a very strange market. 

I agree with everyone in that the wage structure worked well till the injuries. Now we're in a position where we're 10th and not in good form at all. The signings we need to address this are probably (considering January inflation) going to cost more than £1,850 a week. As long as those signings don't push us above the overall budget, is it that damaging, providing we win games?

It's up to the club whether we stick or twist. Maybe we stick to our guns and hope, and then retool in the summer, potentially with Stockport and Wrexham joining Salford in constricting the escape ladder out of this tinpot league.

I'm probably impatient, but as been said, this club hasn't spent more than 5 consecutive seasons in the bottom tier since the late 40s. Big decision for Flitters.

I think they are holding their nerve... coming up with a plan and then breaking it at the first sign of a sticky patch isnt right for long term planning and strategy.

1 minute ago, Iron Curtain said:

I think they are holding their nerve... coming up with a plan and then breaking it at the first sign of a sticky patch isnt right for long term planning and strategy.

It's very brave, I'll give them that. Sometimes unforeseen events wreck long-term plans and you have to adapt. 

1 minute ago, Iron Curtain said:

It’s great from them in principal but this could be the best chance to get out of this league, next year will surely be much more challenging. Risky way to go with the injuries to our key players - we need more than young unproven loans to replace the likes of Conlon especially with Taylor out. 

5 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

You have to stick to the plan otherwise agents and players know they can come and take you for a ride, especially in January.

Stick to building a squad sustainably, if that means missing out on players, promotion and/or playoffs then so be it. I would much rather the club build with a long term plan rather than short term signing mercenaries who just play for the highest bidder.

Personally I applaud our stance and also Flickers for communicating it.

2 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I honestly would prefer promotion over a sustainable squad. All for the latter stuff but we need to escape his hell pronto. No more Stevenage away. 

Sustainable squad gives you a better chance for sustainable success. Build a group of (the right) players for a longer period and good things tend to happen.

Amazing how many of you appear more than willing to gamble our financial stability, security and long term vision for short term success (which even then isn't guaranteed, no matter who we brought in at any cost). Lots of panic merchants spending other people's money like it's water

23 minutes ago, MBE said:

Sustainable squad gives you a better chance for sustainable success. Build a group of (the right) players for a longer period and good things tend to happen.

Totally agree.... Give one person more money and everyone wants more money... quickest way to break a coherent unit. 

Archived