onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Advert

Just now, Walka003 said:

I wouldn't have been blown away with Hemmings in all honesty, Loft would have been a decent pick up (didn't realise he was only 24).

Announcing the limitations of the wage structure is a peculiar move, and what the motivation for it was i don't know.

That being said, I would say 90% of the transfer business done under the new structure has been great, difficult to argue against it.

I'm a fan of the new set-up by 90% is generous. There's been a few average-dud signings.

Hemmings has two seasons in League 2 and got 15 and 14 in them. His career record is over 1 in 3. Would have been ideal.

2 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Our current players fit in to the wage structure and they got us in to the automatics.

Yeah and now the captain is out, the forwards aren't fit and we're 10th, losing 5 in 10. 

We need excellent signings to rekindle the season. Some of these players will want more than an incentive-laden £1,900 a week. Just how football is.

Just now, Joe B said:

I'm a fan of the new set-up by 90% is generous. There's been a few average-dud signings.

Hemmings has two seasons in League 2 and got 15 and 14 in them. His career record is over 1 in 3. Would have been ideal.

Off the top of my head, Martin and Johnson have been the only two I think have been below average duds, and some how we managed to turn a profit on Johnson. The rest I would say have had a positive impact on the team and squad, and all the Jan signings look positive (albeit on a small sample of games played).

Not saying Hemmings is a bad player, but given the choice i would rather take Loft if we were going to break the wage structure, especially given his age and potential resale.

5 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Strange to announce RE the 1.9k. Surely that alerts teams to players like Conlon who could quite easily increase that wage even at this level. Is out budget not as impressive as we thought? 

From Henry Winter's Times article:

In League Two, at Vale, Clarke has cut the wage bill. “The top wage here is £1,850,” he says. “Me and ‘Flickers’ [David Flitcroft], the director of football, we’re trying to build an even wage cap, £1,000 to £1,850.”

9 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Strange to announce RE the 1.9k. Surely that alerts teams to players like Conlon who could quite easily increase that wage even at this level. Is our budget not as impressive as we thought? 

Would tend to agree, Shanghais us slightly in negotiations.

Might be why we're struggling to get Smithy/Gibbo to the negotiating table.

5 minutes ago, Joe B said:

From Henry Winter's Times article:

In League Two, at Vale, Clarke has cut the wage bill. “The top wage here is £1,850,” he says. “Me and ‘Flickers’ [David Flitcroft], the director of football, we’re trying to build an even wage cap, £1,000 to £1,850.”

That’s just a mental thing to say to the papers. Clarke won’t mention injuries ect but is happy to tell the whole footballing world what our best players are on. Someone like Wrexham could quite easily see that, offer a decent sum for Conlon and triple his wage.

Surely will just put some players off straight away as well. i know there other incentives in the contracts but we shouldn’t be detailing what we’re prepared to offer players. Really odd. 

11 minutes ago, Joe B said:

There's a difference between not exceeding the overall budget Carol has set (good!) and not giving an individual player more than an amount which is above the arbitrary limits of a wage structure (bad and daft!).

I wouldn't want us to overspend, but as long as we remain within the overall budget then in my view it doesn't matter whether player X earns more than Tom Pett and Nathan Smith. Just get out the league before Wrexham and Stockport arrive.

It's a strawman argument to defend the wage structure by saying 'don't want to spend beyond our means', as no one is asking for that.

It does matter if you load a larger portion of your salary on one player and he gets injured. Your remaining players are of lesser quality and now the premium element of your budget isnt availabvle.

Balanced wages structures with bonuses and add on's being used to differentiate is a sensible approach.

Yes when we all desperately want a known goal scorer it seems a shame.. but long term its the right thing to do.

I would also hazard a guess that the "I have heard of them therefore they must be good" players will also attract a premium over and above that they deserve.... worsening my first point because they may not actually deserve the extra they command.

14 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Strange to announce RE the 1.9k. Surely that alerts teams to players like Conlon who could quite easily increase that wage even at this level. Is our budget not as impressive as we thought? 

What you don't see in that article is everything else.

Pension matching and salary sacrifice benefits.

Goal bonus.

Win bonus.

Top 7 bonus.

Finishing place + promotion bonus.

They're trying to incentivise success rather than reward complacency. As Hobblesworth said it was working extremely well until the injuries struck.

15 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

If Wrexham want to know what Tom Conlon is on it would take them a 5 min phone call to his agent... that article wont have made a jot of difference.

7 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Surely will just put some players off straight away as well. i know there other incentives in the contracts but we shouldn’t be detailing what we’re prepared to offer players. Really odd. 

If a player wont join because they want more than our wage bracket, then they wouldnt have joined anyway... the article wouldnt have made a difference.

Its only going to put off players we cant afford anyway.

If anything saved us time in your example.

1 minute ago, Doha said:

Goal bonus.

Win bonus.

Top 7 bonus.

They're trying to incentivise success rather than reward complacency. As Hobblesworth said it was working extremely well until the injuries struck.

100%

11 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

Would tend to agree, Shanghais us slightly in negotiations.

Might be why we're struggling to get Smithy/Gibbo to the negotiating table.

Smith's in contract for another 18 months. Gibbo has likely just lost the chance of a summer move even with today's news from Phil Bowers that it might not be too bad after all.

Not sure what's worse with Gibbo, whether it was the same hamstring as before or the other one. Either way has negative connotations.

1 minute ago, Iron Curtain said:

If Wrexham want to know what Tom Conlon is on it would take them a 5 min phone call to his agent... that article wont have made a jot of difference.

It would that’s true, but it might put clubs on alert that wouldn’t have necessarily been otherwise. Either way it makes no sense what so ever to say this imo. 

Just now, Iron Curtain said:

If a player wont join because they want more than our wage bracket, then they wouldnt have joined anyway... the article wouldnt have made a difference. If anything saved us time in your example.

Personally think it will have made a difference hence why literally no club ever goes and publicly states what their wage structure is. 

We offer more incentives as Doha has put above, I just think coming out and publicly saying we offer 1-1.85k will potentially put players off before we can even negotiate with these other incentives. 

4 minutes ago, Doha said:

Goal bonus.

Win bonus.

Top 7 bonus.

I think that’s a good thing; a really good thing, I just don’t think we should publicly saying what our wage structure is. 

Archived