onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

37 minutes ago, Mellor! said:

Otis Khan has turned down a new contract at Walsall and is now a free agent. Not sure if he's already signing somewhere, but he'd be an ideal replacement for Politic and could also cover for Conlon if he is out for a while. Not sure if Flickers signed him when he was at Mansfield? 

Rumoured to be going to Orient. I liked him at Yeovil then feel he's been living off that since!

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/sources-leyton-orient-on-the-cusp-of-beating-salford-city-to-walsall-transfer-agreement-with-medical-scheduled/

Advert

37 minutes ago, Mellor! said:

Otis Khan has turned down a new contract at Walsall and is now a free agent. Not sure if he's already signing somewhere, but he'd be an ideal replacement for Politic and could also cover for Conlon if he is out for a while. Not sure if Flickers signed him when he was at Mansfield? 

We might see him on Saturday but it is likely to be for Leyton Orient where he is rumoured to be heading.

Politic has barely played enough pro games to be demanding mega money anywhere. Yes he was good, but the reality is he was unwanted at a lower table league 1 club. 

Serie B must have declined a fair bit given that when we played against Genoa in the 90s and we were a champ level club, they had players who were world class. 

Unwanted by a league 1 side but blatantly good enough. Literally of their fan base wanted him to stay and not even join us on loan. DC said his loan spell was outstanding. He’s the exact kind of player you need at this level, especially for games like last night. But if the wage demands are too high we’ve done the right thing. Shame, but obviously financially no player is worth more than the club can afford 

26 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Politic has barely played enough pro games to be demanding mega money anywhere. Yes he was good, but the reality is he was unwanted at a lower table league 1 club. 

Serie B must have declined a fair bit given that when we played against Genoa in the 90s and we were a champ level club, they had players who were world class. 

Genoa usually play in Serie A, in 1992 they became the first Italian side to beat Liverpool at Anfield,(UEFA Cup) so probably kept a few players after relegation.

2 hours ago, philmpv said:

There's more to it than that though I think. Since Yeovil, he's never played a full season of games and lately seems to be declining. For a 26 year old, that doesn't sit right with me. Some underlying issue(s) possibly? Smacks of another Amoo to me

We only need him for half a season.😀

8 hours ago, Emile said:

Totally. Not sure why everyone was so desperate for him to stay really. He was good, but was he the best we had? Was he worth breaking the bank for? I'd say no.

I'd agree - I would have liked to have us sign him...but it was for the potential more than the finished article.. He didn't have as much influence when he started the game, as when he came on as sub. I think he could have developed into a very good player...but you don't break a decent wage structure on "could"!

6 hours ago, CAVALIER said:

Who'd know we'd broken it though? It's basically <ovf censored> speak for not really wanting him.

I think it's more like the reality of sticking to a sustainable wage structure instead of going bonkers like so many other clubs - who, eventually get caught out!

4 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Unwanted by a league 1 side but blatantly good enough. Literally of their fan base wanted him to stay and not even join us on loan. DC said his loan spell was outstanding. He’s the exact kind of player you need at this level, especially for games like last night. But if the wage demands are too high we’ve done the right thing. Shame, but obviously financially no player is worth more than the club can afford 

I'm sorry, but I think DC's comment must be ironic. Otherwise I don't get why he never seemed to look his way! He was left on the bench for the full 90 minutes more often than coming on. If he was so "outstanding", why couldn't he seem to buy his way into the starting 11? 

3 minutes ago, Danish Valiant said:

I'm sorry, but I think DC's comment must be ironic. Otherwise I don't get why he never seemed to look his way! He was left on the bench for the full 90 minutes more often than coming on. If he was so "outstanding", why couldn't he seem to buy his way into the starting 11? 

Fitness issues…. He individually won us quite a few points and got us to the 3rd round of the cup. I don’t their ironic if he was actually interested in bringing him in permanently 

13 hours ago, LancyTony said:

I'd agree - I would have liked to have us sign him...but it was for the potential more than the finished article.. He didn't have as much influence when he started the game, as when he came on as sub. I think he could have developed into a very good player...but you don't break a decent wage structure on "could"!

If he's ended up at a promotion rival or wanted to spend that same money elsewhere I would have been confused. But DC took a difficult but correct decision in my view (and Carol I assume.) He'll be long term injured again soon anyway - if they've paid big bucks on his wages they won't be playing him half an hour every other game. If he was playing 90s week in week out he would have been injured, and for that sort of money we want a player made of granite who will play every game and be quality at the same time.

I think the current situation shows the flaws in our recruitment  and retention strategy. Last year all the out of contract players were told in May that they were out. That means that all of this years contract players are probably expecting the same so they have 4 months to find another job basically, either with us or someone else. That has to affect their performance. Also the business of not paying bonuses when we are below 7th. We are below 7th now because we had games called off due to Covid. It is just after Christmas and suddenly their pay has dropped. That is hardly a motivator. 

Archived