onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

14 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

It wouldn’t surprise me. The only reason he didn’t play today is not because ‘Hussey is a guaranteed starter’ as Radio Joke were pedalling, it’s because he either indicated that he won’t sign a contract extension so they are trying to flog him now rather than lose him for free, or because there is already an approach on the table.

1 hour ago, Biddulph_PV said:

He wasn’t dropped in favour of Hussey despite the garbage Radio Stoke were pedalling. I did not once hear them mention the contract situation. As I’ve said, he’s either refused a new deal so we’re looking to get money for him now, or there is an offer on the table. Either way we can’t risk him getting injured in January. And even if he stays, as seems unlikely unless he does extend, then at least we have competition (although if that’s what we can expect from Hussey then Gibbo will be back starting in Feb). It has nothing to do with his performances, it is purely due to his contract situation caused by the ridiculous transfer window.

49 minutes ago, philmpv said:

I don't believe for a second that, with a player as good as Gibbons, there's been no contract talks. Seems fairly clear that he's either indicated that he's leaving in July, or we're miles apart in wages. That being so, makes perfect sense to sell him now if there's clubs interested, particularly at Championship level as rumoured.

38 minutes ago, sandyford_valiant said:

I agree. There’s not a chance Clarke would leave him on the bench in these kind of games. I expect gibbons to leave in the coming week. 

In the week Clarke was talking about competition places, bigging up Hussey, saying Benning and Hussey were his left backs with Worrall and Gibbo on the right, he said no one’s guaranteed to start and even mentioned fan favourites too. All little hints (to my mind anyway) pointing to the fact that Hussey was going to start and sure enough he did. I genuinely believe we brought Hussey in to play. You don’t get a fee paid for you and drop a league to sit on the bench and I also assume he’s come on a good wage too. Lots of fans were excited by his signing and plenty expected him to start too, thinking he’s a better option on the left and I think Clarke thought too. Which is just as much of a guess as the other contract refusal a being sold theories. 

If Clarke didn’t play Gibbo because of the contract situation then why just bench him?  Why even have him in the matchday squad if it’s that much of an issue or if there’s a club in for him when they had Cass and Benning in the squad that can cover right and left back?

i didn’t hear radio stoke as I was at the ground before it started, but Yates is close to the club and some of the players isn’t he?  Maybe he knows what’s happening and that’s why they said Hussey was brought in to start. I’ve also heard rumours that none of the out of contract players have been offered anything, so everyone seems to have heard something that contradicts the other. Also bear in mind that if we’ve offered a contract to any of those players this month that it’s just a starting point for the negotiations too, it’s a long winded process. 

I believe had we gone in at half time with 11 men that the changes Clarke mentioned could have seen Gibbo come on with maybe Politic to change the shape of the team. It’s a wild guess of course but I think that would have happened given how the first 45 went. 

Advert

13 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

I dont think its a case of them trying to flog him,there has been interest in Gibbo all through the start of the season from the league above and the championship,so with him being out of contract in a few months the club cant really stand in his way,the championship would be a great move for the lad and we cant begrudge him that...sadly the fee wont be what it should be just due to the lack of contract length but what i would hope for is that we insist on a decent sell on clause a bit like exeter do with their players they sell

Agree, though notice when Johnson was sold either DF or DC said something about the deal being in line with the new strategic approach to player trading, which to be fair is great and is what the likes of Posh, Brentford etc have been doing for years. 

I agree that the Covolan sending off definitely affected DCs plans in the second half. Does that mean that he was satisfied with the first half performance because it was poor from the kick off and painful to watch. At no time did he change tactics or personnel. No excuses for Covolans actions but I feel that DC is using him as a scapegoat. He normally isn’t afraid to make changes, some of which work and some don’t and cost us points. I felt that the latter was the case at Oldham when we were winning 2-1 and not having to defend but understand no one gets it right every time and that hindsight is a wonderful thing. Im still struggling to comprehend that performance yesterday, but typical of PVFC two home games and fluff the first one which will affect the midweek attendance which tend to be lower anyway.

If Gibbo goes is it just me or does anyone else think we are better playing back 4 i.e  4231/ 433/ 442

Cov/Stone

Cass Smith Hall Hussey

Walker Pett 

Wozza Conlon Politic

Wils

This would allow our 3 best creative players to be further up the pitch with a higher press.We have to get Conlon on the ball in advanced areas to affect the game better.

Playing this way I think also suits our other impact players like Amoo and Rodney.

Record with Gibbons in the league:

Played 15, won 9, drawn 2, lost 3. 29 points. 1.9 points per game.

Record without Gibbons in the league:

Played 7, won 1, drawn 3, lost 3. 6 points. 0.9 points per game.

Small sample sizes but I would be seriously concerned for our promotion hopes if he goes. I think his ability is replaceable but it's his 'other' stuff which isn't. He gives the team and fans that intangible 'lift' with his runs and tackles. It's not something you find in many players.

Have we even attempted to talk contract with him? Gibbons says not. If so, that's negligence. If he turned us down then fair enough, but Clarke and Gibbons attest different.

I'd guess circa 100k. He's worth more than he has 6 months left and it's either that or nothing in the summer.

22 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Have we even attempted to talk contract with him? Gibbons says not. If so, that's negligence. If he turned us down then fair enough, but Clarke and Gibbons attest different.

I'd guess circa 100k. He's worth more than he has 6 months left and it's either that or nothing in the summer.

The club is more professional than that. Conlon was signed up sharply last season, no way has nothing been discussed with gibbo. I think he will be gone this week (but really hope not) 

37 minutes ago, Joe B said:

You wont be far off with the 100k,i have seen talk of people saying it has to be 200-300k well thats just silly as the ball is not in Vales court,you would hope for around 100-120k with a 25% sell on and maybe a promotion clause/appearances clause as well if we are lucky but 6mths left on a deal gives us little negotiability room sadly

2 hours ago, MBE said:

If Gibbo goes is it just me or does anyone else think we are better playing back 4 i.e  4231/ 433/ 442

Cov/Stone

Cass Smith Hall Hussey

Walker Pett 

Wozza Conlon Politic

Wils

This would allow our 3 best creative players to be further up the pitch with a higher press.We have to get Conlon on the ball in advanced areas to affect the game better.

Playing this way I think also suits our other impact players like Amoo and Rodney.

Wilson shouldn't be starting at the moment. Harratt has two in two and Wilson looks way off it. He now needs to be patient and wait for his chance, like every other player in a strong squad, and not have it handed to him.

37 minutes ago, Hoppers said:

The club is more professional than that. Conlon was signed up sharply last season, no way has nothing been discussed with gibbo. I think he will be gone this week (but really hope not) 

If that's the case then he's just rejected us and no one wants to admit it, as he clearly said there had been no talks.

8 minutes ago, Joe B said:

If that's the case then he's just rejected us and no one wants to admit it, as he clearly said there had been no talks.

He may not have spoken to the club but his agent has done all the negotiating resulting in no agreement,  same conclusion resulting in us bringing in a replacement. 

Archived