onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Advert

3 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Do you think hussey smith gibbo Worral hall Pett etc will be happy at being rotated when they’re playing well  just because we’ve got a good squad? I’m not saying I want rubbish as their back up, I haven’t said that. I’m highlighting that league 2 football doesn’t normally stand great players in each position because players have to play for their contract and their career, league 2 players don’t have the luxury of big contracts to rely on I’d they aren’t playing. 

The simple fear or worry I had is that policy of rotation could see some of them unhappy or want to move. Maybe it’s unfounded. 

Let's assume our players adopt a professional attitude about this, eh? That they realise they may not be nailed on for the next game, even if they've played a blinder? That illness, injuries and tactics may come into play in deciding the team - and more so if you've just had an only average game? Hard to believe, in such a short time, that we are having this debate - we must have one of the strongest squads in the League so let's make sure we make use of that!   

11 hours ago, LancyTony said:

Let's assume our players adopt a professional attitude about this, eh? That they realise they may not be nailed on for the next game, even if they've played a blinder? That illness, injuries and tactics may come into play in deciding the team - and more so if you've just had an only average game? Hard to believe, in such a short time, that we are having this debate - we must have one of the strongest squads in the League so let's make sure we make use of that!   

I totally agree the squad we have looks great on paper and yes I get that should breed competition for places, which is good. But they (our better consistent players) can’t afford to be sitting on a bench being professional because they realise we have a good squad. Their future is based on stats, minutes, appearances, goals, assists, clean sheets etc . So I was just voicing my concern by saying could a squad rotation system be something that may force some of the better players out when you look at the stage of their career some of them are at? That’s all I was thinking out loud. I’m sure Worrall won’t want to split his game time with Gibbo and that situation would be true for other positions in the team. I know people will put on their club specs and say look at this great squad we’ve built and good riddance to them then because we trust the management,  (who let’s face are just as much journeymen as players) but I think your last sentence sums it up. We need to use it wisely and i just think we need to very careful how we manage this situation with 2 good players for most positions. As in league 2 the economics mean that it’s not always viable to do that with players being in a more precarious situation than if they were playing higher up the pyramid. Maybe I’m way off the mark in fearing we may lose some of our good players. 

Here's an interesting article on Politic which gives a feel for what his careers been like so far:
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/19849614.bolton-wanderers-move-on-dennis-politic-port-vale---cost/
Can you imagine the Sentinel writing as many articles about one of our players who is out on loan as the Bolton press have written about Politic. We barely get a story about the first team.

23 minutes ago, wotsyobeef said:
43 minutes ago, The French Connection said:
Here's an interesting article on Politic which gives a feel for what his careers been like so far:
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/19849614.bolton-wanderers-move-on-dennis-politic-port-vale---cost/

Can you imagine the Sentinel writing as many articles about one of our players who is out on loan as the Bolton press have written about Politic. We barely get a story about the first team.

There's only one football club in Bolton. Then again, we might say there's only one in Stoke on Trent. 🙂

I used to live near Leicester and the local paper, the Leicester Mercury, had plenty of coverage of Leicester City, but you would expect that as they were the only League club in the area - although they had to share the back page coverage with Leicester Tigers rugby club, they had a free run as far as football was concerned. Here it's different, and while historically the Lardies have had more support the paper will always slant its football coverage towards them.

What we have to do is roar the Vale on to best Stoke, attract the greater support and the coverage will follow.

8 hours ago, PV1973 said:

I totally agree the squad we have looks great on paper and yes I get that should breed competition for places, which is good. But they (our better consistent players) can’t afford to be sitting on a bench being professional because they realise we have a good squad. Their future is based on stats, minutes, appearances, goals, assists, clean sheets etc . So I was just voicing my concern by saying could a squad rotation system be something that may force some of the better players out when you look at the stage of their career some of them are at? That’s all I was thinking out loud. I’m sure Worrall won’t want to split his game time with Gibbo and that situation would be true for other positions in the team. I know people will put on their club specs and say look at this great squad we’ve built and good riddance to them then because we trust the management,  (who let’s face are just as much journeymen as players) but I think your last sentence sums it up. We need to use it wisely and i just think we need to very careful how we manage this situation with 2 good players for most positions. As in league 2 the economics mean that it’s not always viable to do that with players being in a more precarious situation than if they were playing higher up the pyramid. Maybe I’m way off the mark in fearing we may lose some of our good players. 

I sort of see your concern, but wonder why you feel our situation would be unique, as most clubs with good squads have to have rotation . The reality, for us, is that many clubs in L2 expect to lose their best/better players at some time because they are ambitious / want one last contract / the club needs the cash. The trick is to replace them with equal / better players! Which automatically creates the need for rotation.

1 hour ago, PVFC764 said:

Can we move Covolan on and get a goal keeper that doesn't loose his head during a game. 

Sadly I’m inclined to agree.  Ironically two outstanding save’s preceded his needless red card, but todays red, and the manner of it, was a bridge too far for me.

7 minutes ago, rayzer said:

Heard today that Gibbo is off to Sheff Utd. Has any body else heard that?

It wouldn’t surprise me. The only reason he didn’t play today is not because ‘Hussey is a guaranteed starter’ as Radio Joke were pedalling, it’s because he either indicated that he won’t sign a contract extension so they are trying to flog him now rather than lose him for free, or because there is already an approach on the table.

Archived