onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Advert

1 minute ago, darren1810 said:
1 hour ago, Emile said:

I wonder if he has a club already to go to and we just haven't stood in his way? 

It's possible but nobody has come in whilst he was deregistered. 

Although January is silly season.  Really hope he gets fixed up. 

Reckon it will be York City. Askey loves him. 

We are seriously short of CM cover now (given that we play 3) so this is either a sign that we are going 442 or that someone else is on their way in pretty soon.

Good news re Dennis too. Wonder if we will try and get him on a permanent now or wait until the end of the season.

So with Burgess gone as expected and Taylor injured that leaves just Walker as midfield cover for Garitty/Pett/Conlon.....although Worrall can play on the right of a midfield three but fully expect a midfielder to sign and from rumours probably Dean Campbell.

OUT Johnson/Amos/Legge/Whitehead/Lloyd/Burgess

IN Harratt/Edmondson/Hall/Hussey

TWO more signings expected and please get Politic sorted under contract now and don't wait till the end of the season likewise Gibbons. 

On 12/01/2022 at 12:15, Bald Eagle said:

The short answer is no.

Is that not how you progress?

We are getting rid of poorer squad players, replacing them with players with genuine first team potential

The existing players then either become the squad players, or step up yet another level to keep the shirt.  Either way we win.

Trim off at the bottom of the squad and add quality at the top.  Onwards and upwards.  Repeat cycle at each window and progress up the leagues.

On 12/01/2022 at 10:19, manc_vale said:

Yes, but its a great position to be in. The squad is improving and there is competition for places throughout the squad, and that even includes the goalkeeper. It keeps everyone motiviated on on their toes. 

Howe many years is it that the team has been based on the 11 that are fit and capable of kicking a ball almost straight, with a bench that must make any manager sigh as they look back for inspiration only to find the barely capable, barely fit, unproven youth and journeymen pro's.

On 12/01/2022 at 10:20, Portvale4 said:

No, if anything, it should do the opposite. With new players coming in, you’d expect the old crop to step up. Ultimately, if they don’t, they will be shown the door. 

It’s called healthy competition, and any professional athlete should rise to the challenge.

On 12/01/2022 at 10:34, valiant_593 said:

No not worried at all. If these players are better then there’s no issue. It’s what happens every single season. surely it breeds competition? If players are unhappy that we have signing a striker then surely they should work hard to ensure they play? If not then maybe Port Vale is not for them. The only anomaly is Gibbons. I can’t see reduced game time being an issue given the amount of fixtures in a small period of time, no doubt we will pick up more injuries as well. 

As long as we are signing players that improve us I have no issues. Hall is an upgrade on Legge, the two young lads are on loan but on short viewing Harratt seems much more useful than Lloyd. Hussey is a quality player for this level; no question and comfortably good enough for the league above. 

Don’t see any issue what so ever with us letting our weaker players go and bringing in better players, surely that’s the whole point? 

When I mentioned good players coming in and it forcing our better players out I thinking about it from this point of view. If gibbo or Worrall get reduced game time because the manager is rotating with hussey (maybe Benning too) are they going to be happy? Both worrall and gibbo are in great form and at a period in their careers where they need to be playing regularly. I think the same goes for the centre halves, if smith finds himself out the of team or rotated with the new signings then the same could apply. All 3 have played well this season and the same goes for someone like Conlon too. It sounds great saying we need competition but in practice how do you keep everyone happy? Maybe they would feel they need to move to get the game time they feel their performances warrant? Lots of interesting questions to be answered I think. Looking forward to it. 

Out of all those released at the end of last season and so far in this, I think Burgess is the only one who can say that he may have been harshly treated. Not saying we should have kept him, but he was an integral part of that late playoff surge side, but then his form dipped at the start of last season, and didn't get a look in after. Good riddance to all the rest, who all played their part in ensuring we were perennial relegation contenders. Wish him all the best.

3 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Out of all those released at the end of last season and so far in this, I think Burgess is the only one who can say that he may have been harshly treated. Not saying we should have kept him, but he was an integral part of that late playoff surge side, but then his form dipped at the start of last season, and didn't get a look in after. Good riddance to all the rest, who all played their part in ensuring we were perennial relegation contenders. Wish him all the best.

Agreed I always liked him, I hope he finds another club at or around this level and certainly should do. Not sure what really happened to him as he was excellent during that play off push season under Askey 

17 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

When I mentioned good players coming in and it forcing our better players out I thinking about it from this point of view. If gibbo or Worrall get reduced game time because the manager is rotating with hussey (maybe Benning too) are they going to be happy? Both worrall and gibbo are in great form and at a period in their careers where they need to be playing regularly. I think the same goes for the centre halves, if smith finds himself out the of team or rotated with the new signings then the same could apply. All 3 have played well this season and the same goes for someone like Conlon too. It sounds great saying we need competition but in practice how do you keep everyone happy? Maybe they would feel they need to move to get the game time they feel their performances warrant? Lots of interesting questions to be answered I think. Looking forward to it. 

It’s all well and good keeping everybody happy, but what happens say if Gibbons and Worrall get injured? We are then left in a predicament that we saw before Christmas with the ST position. We aren’t a one or two man club, we have moved on from those unsuccessful times. As I said, if anything, top quality players should ultimately relish with healthy competition. Which, in turn, should realistically breed success. I’m all for bringing players in to add healthy competition, if players aren’t happy, they can leave. It’s as simple as that! 

In DC and Flickers we trust.

Archived