onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

12 minutes ago, Guppys left peg said:

May well have been another time since but going back to our Championship days I remember Horton pre-transfer deadline shelling out on Dave Brammer, Alex Smith and Carl Griffiths. There might have been someone else too but can't remember. That would have been with the Gareth Ainsworth cash though.

Tony Butler?

Advert

26 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

It's crazy when you look at this list how much dead wood we were carrying when Clarke came in. I don't mean to be disrespectful by saying that, but only Cullen and McKirdy are making an impact at a team at the same level as us  (Legge aside as he's only just moved on). 

What a transformation the squad has seen since 15th Feb when Clarkey took charge. I would hang my hat on 95% of the current squad getting another L2 team if they were to leave. 

image.thumb.png.2084d9b445f58e737b0bfc2968e960e3.png

Askey made a pigs ear of recruitment. 

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

That's part of my point - I've seen a few people, at least semi-seriously, talk as if this business means we're going up. We all like a HMS Walk the League meme, but there's so much luck in football that some may end up disappointed/angry that we finish 5th and not 3rd.

Honestly if we don't finish top 3 DC has failed. He's been given all the possible resources he could ever want and need at this level, more than any other manager in our recent history. Yes you can have injuries/suspensions/covid but thats why you have a squad, we have built a really strong one and there is probably more to come in the next 2 weeks.

Failed might be hard word to use if we do go to the play offs but the aim at the start of the season would have been automatic promotion by the management team.

20 minutes ago, MBE said:

Honestly if we don't finish top 3 DC has failed. He's been given all the possible resources he could ever want and need at this level, more than any other manager in our recent history. Yes you can have injuries/suspensions/covid but thats why you have a squad, we have built a really strong one and there is probably more to come in the next 2 weeks.

Failed might be hard word to use if we do go to the play offs but the aim at the start of the season would have been automatic promotion by the management team.

Sorry but this is nonsense. Failed by not finishing top 3? Clarke has worked wonders so far, taking us from relegation battlers to pushing for automatic promotion in 12 months, conducting a full squad overhaul, changing the playing philosophy and dressing room mantra to turn is into an all round more professional outfit. Yes he has had the backing of the board but given what he started with it has been a phenomenal transformation and this doesnt give him anywhere near the credit he should get. Progress was the aim at the start of the season, given how difficult it is to turn a club around in a short space of time we have certainly made that already. Lets not get ahead of ourselves, I really hope that we finish top 3 - I think if we don't get promoted next season we can then start to talk about DC's performance in more negative terms.

Since the 16 March we have won 57% of our matches and had a positive result in 75%. 

35 minutes ago, MBE said:

Get a grip.

14 minutes ago, cactuselves said:

Clarke has worked wonders so far, taking us from relegation battlers to pushing for automatic promotion in 12 months, conducting a full squad overhaul, changing the playing philosophy and dressing room mantra to turn is into an all round more professional outfit. Yes he has had the backing of the board but given what he started with it has been a phenomenal transformation and this doesnt give him anywhere near the credit he should get. Progress was the aim at the start of the season, given how difficult it is to turn a club around in a short space of time we have certainly made that already. Lets not get ahead of ourselves, I really hope that we finish top 3 - I think if we don't get promoted next season we can then start to talk about DC's performance in more negative terms.

Since the 16 March we have won 57% of our matches and had a positive result in 75%. 

Never in doubt in my mind the job he has done. Its no debate.

My point is you don't overhaul and invest in a squad like we have done for progress. Progress was just a word used by DC to a keep a lid on expectation. Make no mistake behind the scenes the target was automatic rather than hope.

I'm not having Bradford making a late charge. The epitome of average. 

FGR are basically up. They only need to have the form of say 12th position for the second half of the season to go up.

I'd say Tranmere look strong and been there got the t-shirt recently.  

If I had to predict which is as big a lottery as the play offs itself I'd go 

FGR Tranmere Northampton as my 3 automatics. 

Said to be two more signings (if Politic stays) and maybe Dean Campbell midfield with perhaps Burgess going and probably another centreback.....expect it to continue with a three at the back and 3/5/2 with plan B being 3/4/3.

Cass/Smith/Jones have been the first choice back three but with Jones suspended then Hall comes straight in at LCB leaving Martin as the only cover.

Worrall/Gibbons/Hussey/Benning is a cracking set of wing backs and with two good keepers another centre back completes the defensive squad.

Garritty/Pett/Conlon have been first choice midfield and if say Burgess is moved on and Campbell signed then Campbell/Walker/Taylor is a cracking midfield....Walker was the first signing and was expected to be the holding defensive midfield general and Taylor is probably the best midfielder at the club.

Hope Wilson and Proctor aren't rushed back and Edmondson and Harratt can get some games in the next couple of weeks.

Fingers crossed that Politic stays and can get signed up permanent particularly for that switch to 3/4/3.

Rodney who was unplayable last seaon has never got started while young Hurst (Worrall junior) has been out injured for most of the season but with Amoo and Wilson near to itness then with the two loan signings and Politic that is five forwards for two or three spots even with Proctor/Rodney/Hurst injured.

Going to be a big week with three league games after a month off and possibly two more signings.

Think we look stronger now for the run in ,than we did for the first half of the season . The defence has been improved and the additions of the two young loanees gives us a more forward option without playing players out of position to cover Wilson and Procs . On paper it’s looking good , just hope they can produce the goods ,should be an exciting run in to what I hope will be a successful end to the season .UTV

I can still see Mansfield being right up there come the end of the season. I’d hope we’re top 3 and at worst play offs. Agree to a degree with MBE. There’s clearly a significant investment being made by the owners to push for promotion. I wouldn’t say Clarke has failed if we don’t get it, but I would argue it may be more difficult next season should we not. (Imagine players such as Conlon will leave). 

Play offs is a must, anything lower than that and I would say Clarke has failed. I think we will be 3rd / 4th personally, Northampton look strong. 

Archived