onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

3 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

That’s a ridiculous commute. I wonder if we’ve insisted he stay up here some of the week, because travelling that distance is not good for him when he then has to go straight into training when he gets here.

Anyone else think (or worried) that some of these new players coming in could see some of our better players want to leave or be forced out of the door due to a lack of or reduced game time?

No, if anything, it should do the opposite. With new players coming in, you’d expect the old crop to step up. Ultimately, if they don’t, they will be shown the door. 

It’s called healthy competition, and any professional athlete should rise to the challenge.

Advert

14 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

That’s a ridiculous commute. I wonder if we’ve insisted he stay up here some of the week, because travelling that distance is not good for him when he then has to go straight into training when he gets here.

Anyone else think (or worried) that some of these new players coming in could see some of our better players want to leave or be forced out of the door due to a lack of or reduced game time?

No not worried at all. If these players are better then there’s no issue. It’s what happens every single season. surely it breeds competition? If players are unhappy that we have signing a striker then surely they should work hard to ensure they play? If not then maybe Port Vale is not for them. The only anomaly is Gibbons. I can’t see reduced game time being an issue given the amount of fixtures in a small period of time, no doubt we will pick up more injuries as well. 

As long as we are signing players that improve us I have no issues. Hall is an upgrade on Legge, the two young lads are on loan but on short viewing Harratt seems much more useful than Lloyd. Hussey is a quality player for this level; no question and comfortably good enough for the league above. 

Don’t see any issue what so ever with us letting our weaker players go and bringing in better players, surely that’s the whole point? 

44 minutes ago, manc_vale said:

Love that response.

10% will get it immediately

30% will wonder why its getting so many likes and will have a think and then get it (this is me)

40% will be too young and not standa chance of getting it.

20% will just ignore

im in the 30%  🤪

48 minutes ago, manc_vale said:

Wow, thats a heck of a commute. I dont know about all of our other players (I know quite a number are based in the triangle between Liverpool Manchester and Stoke), but Cambridgeshire is a long way... about 3 hours to Harrogate, and 2:30 to Burslem.. So he gets an extra hour of his day back... Still not ideal.

I wonder if his contract includes a travelling allowance. It’s 45p per mile with the council. Should rack up a decent income off that alone.

1 hour ago, Brian said:

Our owners have really stepped up. I think the fans need to as well. Let’s get right behind the team now!

100%.  Fans still need to play their part.  Expectations will be higher than ever now.  Good or bad out on the park it’s just as much about our passion in the stands.  How much do WE want it.  All these signings mean nothing if we don’t back the team when things get tough.  We can sign who we want but we aren’t going to just turn up and steamroller teams.  Bumps in the road and all that.  If we can replicate that atmosphere from the Brentford game it’d be a massive help to the boys.

33 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

100%.  Fans still need to play their part.  Expectations will be higher than ever now.  Good or bad out on the park it’s just as much about our passion in the stands.  How much do WE want it.  All these signings mean nothing if we don’t back the team when things get tough.  We can sign who we want but we aren’t going to just turn up and steamroller teams.  Bumps in the road and all that.  If we can replicate that atmosphere from the Brentford game it’d be a massive help to the boys.

Totally agree!

Get behind the new lads and give them the confidence that we are with them!

Whats unfortunately more likely to happen is Hall’s first header will go out of touch and he will be scapegoated and written off immediately by a bunch of armchair vale fans desperate for someone to bray at for the next 6 months!

Prove me wrong please!

28 minutes ago, newchapel valiant said:

I think it's shocking that our owners are allowing all these transfers to happen. Poor old Rampant has only just started to recognise the players who signed in the summer and now they are lumbering him with more. 

You do realise his head will fall off now

Just no thought for fans what so ever. 

Glad you think it is funny to mock memory issues. 

3 hours ago, Portvale4 said:

I’m not sure about your view on the GK department. What makes you think it’s the weakest? We’ve conceded 23 goals, the 3rd least in the top 7 and 4th least in the league. Covolan and Stone are two very competent GK’s at this level. For me, Covolan just about edges it and I’d expect to see him start against Swindon. 

Such a weird opinion...

Yes I understand stats aren't too bad on goals conceded but I'm looking at it from a squad point of view. I just feel its weakest area of the pitch now we have strengthened in other areas and lacks experience at this level with either keeper.

7 hours ago, PV1973 said:

The short answer is no.

Is that not how you progress?

We are getting rid of poorer squad players, replacing them with players with genuine first team potential

The existing players then either become the squad players, or step up yet another level to keep the shirt.  Either way we win.

Trim off at the bottom of the squad and add quality at the top.  Onwards and upwards.  Repeat cycle at each window and progress up the leagues.

3 hours ago, Brian said:

Our owners have really stepped up. I think the fans need to as well. Let’s get right behind the team now!

Yep, don’t miss Swindon. Big 6 pointer and a pantomime villain up front for them for entertainment. First league game for 5 weeks and the weather forecast is ok. Get down Vale Park on Saturday (and spend some money for Carol) 

47 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Would you commute from Cambridgeshire or stay in the flea pit that is The George hotel? I’d commute….

Both Hilton and Marriott have opened hotels in Hanley and Keele lately. Before anyone starts laughing at the idea of a 5* spa hotel in Hanley of all places, it’s their garden inn sub-brand so it has the Hilton name but is a lower end product. Both still more than decent enough for a player commuting, the Marriott courtyard one in Keele in particular looks really nice actually. 

Anyway the point is I’d expect both Vale and Stoke would be aware of them and have/could arrange corporate rates for how much consistent business we could send their way. 

Archived