onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

1 hour ago, PV1973 said:

You answered your own conspiracy there at the end. 

Not a conspiracy theory, I know what Legge has said.

He may well be isolating/injured, but I also know there's a reasonable chance he's not here by the end of the month.

Advert

4 minutes ago, MBE said:

I would be surprised if we are not trying to bring in experienced keeper on loan.

Stone is a decent shot stopped, getting better each time he plays. Cov for me is not good enough at the basics for this level. A decent nb.2 but not a nb.1.

I'm expecting 1 in and the other 1 out.

I would be absolutely gobsmacked if we brought in another keeper. 

I initially thought that signing Hussey seemed excessive, but imagine if Gibbons/Worrall were out.

Worrall was getting subbed quite frequently before the postponements (5 of his last 6, after not missing a minute beforehand), and Gibbo struggled a lot last season.

If either of those go down we'd genuinely be looking at Benning starting regularly, in which case we may as well kiss promotion goodbye.

1 minute ago, darren1810 said:

He also brought in cover for him on the basis that L! was more demanding than L2, so rotation could be carried out,

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

We must have some more players due to leave this month given another 4/5 will sign, as you say we already have a lot of players good enough. 

I was thinking 433 like below

Cov

Gibbo Smith Jones Hussey 

Pett Conlon Garrity 

Wozza Wilson Politic 

Something like that (not a fan of Cass at all), but I do think we will sign a CB and Clarke loves playing 532 so no idea who is going to be missing out! Can’t be Worrall after Saturday, will Gibbo leave? That’s the only thing I can think of. As you say interesting who stays / leaves / signs as we seem to have a lot of options in every position! 

trouble with cass is he always moves over from his mark to cover (usually smith) and leaves a player free, needs to be marking from 5yds not 10! (i think.

2 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I initially thought that signing Hussey seemed excessive, but imagine if Gibbons/Worrall were out.

Worrall was getting subbed quite frequently before the postponements (5 of his last 6, after not missing a minute beforehand), and Gibbo struggled a lot last season.

If either of those go down we'd genuinely be looking at Benning starting regularly, in which case we may as well kiss promotion goodbye.

Fair point, I guess its just a question of keeping everyone happy when they're all fit. Interesting to see if Benning ships out this month, we must be shelling out a fair chunk of the budget on those 3/4.

2 minutes ago, Joe B said:

A testing and important few months coming up, promotion essential, rotation could be the key.

Thinking the FOUR or FIVE more signings depends on whether Politic stays.

So perhaps Hussey and Dean Campbell with maybe Burgess going and then probably another centreback and as for the last signing who knows because the squad would then have.....

2 keepers

6 centrebacks

2 LWB and 2 RWB

6 Midfielders

4 strikers

4 wingers.

Thinking it will continue to be 3/5/2 but with plan B being 3/4/3 hence the wingers/inside forwards.

Then again counting Johnson/Amos/Whitehead/Lloyd/Burgess that's FIVE OUT and Harrat/Edmondson/Hussey/Campbell plus a centre back FIVE IN.

SQUAD 26 with two players for every position.

10 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

Fair point, I guess its just a question of keeping everyone happy when they're all fit. Interesting to see if Benning ships out this month, we must be shelling out a fair chunk of the budget on those 3/4.

Our most important players are the wing-backs, in my view. Our set up is dependent on them more than anyone.

Worrall went from playing every minute of every game for the first 13 games to missing 2 and being subbed in 5 of the other 8. He went from 90 minutes every week to one 90 in eight. His partner tweeted something about him scoring at Oldham 'despite what you're going through'.

It's conjecture, but I think he was playing with an injury, which he has done before (he missed all of last Christmas with a long-running ankle problem he tried to play through).

Lo and behold, after a month of rest, he comes back on Saturday and was everywhere in one of his best performances for months. 

When our wing-backs are on form, we're a good side. We struggled for the first 4/5 games because they were deep, but when we were at our free-flowing best, it was with Worrall and Gibbons high and wide to pull back.

I don't think we can rely on Worrall playing 90 minutes a week, especially with a congested fixture list, with his niggling injury record, with his 100mph playing style. The lad is sprinting from the 1st minute to last. Gibbons too, has had his hamstring issues, and plays with a rare intensity which must increase his risk of injury, muscular or contact.

Hussey coming means means an option to rest Worrall and use him at his freshest, get Gibbons on his favourite side, and have cover from LCB with an experienced player with 3 promotions on his CV.

That's what I've come to, anyways. It's either that or someone wants Gibbons.

TLDR: Worrall has probably been playing through an injury in November/December and, due to the importance of wing-backs, rotation will be needed at a higher quality than Mal Benning.

Good points this last page or so, all I would add, has Benning been that bad, or is it because all others in similar positions have been our best players - no one knew Jones was going to be so good and pre-season there were question marks over Gibbos fitness due to his unfortunate injury record last season - I thought Mal did well when he came on Saturday 

Just now, Hoppers said:

Good points this last page or so, all I would add, has Benning been that bad, or is it because all others in similar positions have been our best players - no one knew Jones was going to be so good and pre-season there were question marks over Gibbos fitness due to his unfortunate injury record last season - I thought Mal did well when he came on Saturday 

He's an alright backup, but I agree with Joe, if we want to have a good go in the second half of the season we need a gamechanger off the bench. Whether that's Worrall or Hussey.

2 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Really peculiar one this. Agree completely with Doha , big risk playing him when a bid accepted. Hussey clearly a top professional by playing on Saturday. 

Now the conundrum in my head. I realise you can never have too many good players and we've got a packed fixture list. Here's the but.....Gibbo arguably player of the season and as fit as a butchers dog. So surely a regular starter .

I'm really interested to see what possible formation changes and teams are picked in the coming weeks and to see where Hussey fits into the equation.  He's clearly a top left back and can adapt to left CH. Interesting times ahead. 

Gibbo moves to the right, Hussey comes in to the left ?

Cass to sub ?

Archived