onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Advert

7 hours ago, valiantastic said:

hearing news from inside the club that James Gibbons has rejected a new contract and could well leave the vale. i really hope not as i don’t think you find that type of player with his energy and passion. he could easily go higher but why not with us? hopefully the club sort this out and give him what he deserves 

Would maybe explain the Hussey link.

Would be a disaster if he went. My player of the season so far.

The latest on Politic from Bolton. Suppose it depends how you want to interpret it but I would say unless they have a major injury crisis he will be staying here for the rest of the season.

26 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Would maybe explain the Hussey link.

Would be a disaster if he went. My player of the season so far.

I wouldn’t be too worried yet, judging by what I’ve heard from a few people I don’t believe that we’ve even offered gibbo or the other out of contract players a new contract yet.

As for Hussey, we only have 2 wingbacks in the building who have been any good, Worrall and gibbo. We have no cover in that area that’s anywhere near those 2, so I think we will need some better cover in those areas than what Benning and Cass have provided as wing backs so far. What we don’t know is if anyone will come in for players like gibbo, Conlon or smith. But at 33 or 34 or whatever he is then Hussey isn’t a long term option or even a long term replacement for a gibbo. Plus at that age this is his last pay day and I think he’ll want decent money too. 

53 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I wouldn’t be too worried yet, judging by what I’ve heard from a few people I don’t believe that we’ve even offered gibbo or the other out of contract players a new contract yet.

As for Hussey, we only have 2 wingbacks in the building who have been any good, Worrall and gibbo. We have no cover in that area that’s anywhere near those 2, so I think we will need some better cover in those areas than what Benning and Cass have provided as wing backs so far. What we don’t know is if anyone will come in for players like gibbo, Conlon or smith. But at 33 or 34 or whatever he is then Hussey isn’t a long term option or even a long term replacement for a gibbo. Plus at that age this is his last pay day and I think he’ll want decent money too. 

Why is everyone worried that Gibbo might leave, players are a commodity aren't they? If Gibbo leaves the process will identify a cost effective replacement. 

1 minute ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Why is everyone worried that Gibbo might leave, players are a commodity aren't they? If Gibbo leaves the process will identify a cost effective replacement. 

I would rather keep our top players, the more top players we have the more chance of playing in League 1 next season.

It's staggering how a few rumours can lead to a "crisis" on this thread.

There's an unsubstantiated rumour that Gibbo has rejected a contract despite a Sentinel interview in which he doesn't say anything of the sort. So why are people thinking a rumour (which could be made of thin air) is more likely than an on the record chat with a journalist? 

This is what Gibbo said to the Sentinel: 

Yesterday: He said there are no developments about his contract situation, adding: “Nothing yet. I am still in the same position as I said last time I was asked.

What was the position last time he was asked? According to the Sentinel in October it was that he hadn't had any contract talks with the manager. 

Conclusion: Pretty difficult to reject a contract without being offered one in the first place, I reckon.

Then it gets sillier in that a player who plays in a similar position is linked to Vale with no evidence simply because his club have brought in a younger player in his position. 

As an unsubstantiated rumour is clearly a done deal, it obviously means Gibbo is leaving, despite again there being zero evidence of any offers from other clubs and that this player is replacing him despite again there being zero evidence of the player wanting to move to Vale. 

Amazing!

If we look at the few facts we have... Gibbo said yesterday there have been no discussions about contracts. If so, there is no way he has rejected a contract because one hasn't been offered yet. There is also no reported interest from any other clubs in Gibbo. Furthermore, there is no indication from Cheltenham that their recent signing means Chris Hussey is on the way out, and even if he was there is no indication that Vale Park would be his chosen destination. 

9 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I agree it's 99% rubbish Rob, but this is a 'rumours' thread and people are going to discuss rumours, as football fans have done for decades. Whispers, unsubstantiated or otherwise, have been part and parcel of football since transfers have been a thing. We haven't played for a month and there's very little 'football' to talk about, bar 'yep, looking forward to Brentford!'.

Certainly wouldn't describe discussion of it as a crisis. People seem largely unfussed. 

I know it's rumours but it's the escalation of rumours into "alternative facts" where people are seemingly convinced we would lose one of our best players (hence my use of the over-the-top word "crisis") which concerned me.

I wanted people to remember to take all these posts with a pinch of salt.

However, when we suddenly get posts debating the effect of Gibbo leaving then I think that's the point when everyone does need to be reminded that there is no evidence he actually is.

By all means let the rumours continue but I do think it's worthwhile just to remind everyone that rumours are well, rumours and not facts. 

Pompey looking to move on strikers Harrison and Marquis.

Marquis was a goal machine at L2 level previously. I might be wrong but I think DC worked with Harrison at Rovers.🤔

No idea if we would make a move but I would like to think we would be interested.Still think we need another ST.

Twitterverse believe Bristol and Mansfield are interested respectively.

12 minutes ago, MBE said:

Pompey looking to move on strikers Harrison and Marquis.

Marquis was a goal machine at L2 level previously. I might be wrong but I think DC worked with Harrison at Rovers.🤔

No idea if we would make a move but I would like to think we would be interested.Still think we need another ST.

Twitterverse believe Bristol and Mansfield are interested respectively.

The press are saying that a few league 1 clubs are after Harrison including Fleetwood who have just received a nice lump sum for their centre half.

He’s never been prolific but clearly adds something as he has played at a higher level.

Hopefully he remembers his time with DC fondly and that gives us a chance!

Archived