onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Good business providing a league 1 club doesn't persuade Newcastle to recall Cass and send him to them for the remainder of the season. Having said that even then I think we should be able to cope with Smith, Jones, Legge, Martin, Walker and possibly Amos. Cass would be a big loss though.

Advert

1 hour ago, valefan16 said:

Hussey would be excellent, Woz and him delivering crosses would be pretty scary for defences.

Just turned 33 so not the ideal age but if we wanted to add experience to the back line which may be a consideration after some defensive collapses at times this season if Legge can’t play most weeks and Martin isn’t in form then might give us a good year or two.

Except we don’t play a system where we’re swinging crosses in for a big lump of a centre forward to get on the end of. No doubt Hussey has the experience and on the face of it did well last season with a promotion team, I can only judge him on the games we see against us, but it’s a big call to potentially buy him and drop arguably the player of the season so far in Gibbo. 

4 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Except we don’t play a system where we’re swinging crosses in for a big lump of a centre forward to get on the end of. No doubt Hussey has the experience and on the face of it did well last season with a promotion team, I can only judge him on the games we see against us, but it’s a big call to potentially buy him and drop arguably the player of the season so far in Gibbo. 

Spot on. Even if he took the left centre back spot he's not going to lumping crosses in left right and centre. Gibbo has been sensational and Is nailed on starter .

2 hours ago, CAVALIER said:

Suits everyone and let's hope he helps them back into the League

Yeah, league 2 is a better place with Stockport in it. Had many a cracking game/away day against them in the past. Partuclarly the Danny Begara/Kevin Francis period.

2 hours ago, philmpv said:

Certainly a lot better than the sign as many free journeymen as we can, barely play most and award the most consistent underperformers new contracts philosophy of the past 5 seasons

Really like what I'm seeing. DF will be the making of this club, backed by Carol and Kevin. Love DC but he seems to be the least crucial cog in this new Port Vale machine. Love the guy, and all I mean is that even with a change of manager, when that happens, we should barely break stride

Agree with most of that, but I do think that DC has fostered a tremendous team spirit and as long as that continues he will be massively missed and it will hurt us if he does go... Backrom staff also help with that team spirit too...   I guess what all of  this does show is that the club is well run from the top through the stack of management and they are all combining to make is a far far superior club.

46 minutes ago, wotsyobeef said:

Good business providing a league 1 club doesn't persuade Newcastle to recall Cass and send him to them for the remainder of the season. Having said that even then I think we should be able to cope with Smith, Jones, Legge, Martin, Walker and possibly Amos. Cass would be a big loss though.

Whilst Newcastle are scouring the football world desperately looking to splash rediculous amounts of cash (anyone remember Brewsters millions?) they probably barely remember that Cass is one of their players. I can't see how he fits into their new world-dominating plans. Whilst it is possible for some other club to try and get him I think the only thing Newcastle will be interested in is getting him off the books. Maybe DF has tried a little cheeky punt on that in the last few weeks.

4 minutes ago, manc_vale said:

Whilst Newcastle are scouring the football world desperately looking to splash rediculous aamounts of cash (anyone remeber Brewsters millions) they probably barely remember that Cass is one of their players. I can't see how he fits into their new world dominating plans. Whilst it is possible for some other club to try and get him I think the only thing Newcastle will be interested in is getting him off the books. Maybe DF has tried a little cheeky punt on that in the last few weeks.

Maybe he's good enough for the Championship though so they might hold fire !

I wasn't impressed with Ryan Johnson when he played, his positional sense looked a bit off to me as he appeared to get caught under the ball a lot, also his distribution left much to be desired.

Good deal for Vale to get some money for him, best of luck to the lad.

10 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

I wasn't impressed with Ryan Johnson when he played, his positional sense looked a bit off to me as he appeared to get caught under the ball a lot, also his distribution left much to be desired.

Good deal for Vale to get some money for him, best of luck to the lad.

Agree with that, I think him, Martin and to a lesser extent Benning, are our 3 weakest summer signings. 

Has anyone heard any whispers what the transfer fee might be? My stab in the dark guess is £50k. 

The statement from Flitcroft sounds like it’s a great cash  deal for us.

I really don’t see logic in Hussey link other than he played for Flitcroft. I would get more excited if we are linked with Mayor!

Still think the squad will be reshaped to play a different formation and expect Amos OR Benning to leave with another CB CM and ST before the end of the transfer window.

2nd half of the season is all about 3 points game after game and you need creativity and firepower to do that.

Another 8 game winning run would nice😁

4 hours ago, philmpv said:

Certainly a lot better than the sign as many free journeymen as we can, barely play most and award the most consistent underperformers new contracts philosophy of the past 5 seasons

Really like what I'm seeing. DF will be the making of this club, backed by Carol and Kevin. Love DC but he seems to be the least crucial cog in this new Port Vale machine. Love the guy, and all I mean is that even with a change of manager, when that happens, we should barely break stride

Bit gobsmacked by that remark about DC.  He's the guy who picks the team and motivates and organises on the pitch.  He is every bit as important and effective as DF and Carol are in their roles.  They work as a team and to single one out like that is totally contrary to how they operate. 

Personally, I think DC will turn out to be our best manager since JR, and I include MA in that assessment.  I hope he's with us a long time and look forward to seeing the club up in the Championship in a few year's time. 

Bit gobsmacked by that remark about DC.  He's the guy who picks the team and motivates and organises on the pitch.  He is every bit as important and effective as DF and Carol are in their roles.  They work as a team and to single one out like that is totally contrary to how they operate. 
Personally, I think DC will turn out to be our best manager since JR, and I include MA in that assessment.  I hope he's with us a long time and look forward to seeing the club up in the Championship in a few year's time. 
I think you've misread what I was getting at. I think he's a great manager. But he will leave at some point, whether that's forced or he goes to another job. My point was that the way that we are building things, from recruitment to the infrastructure, the whole structure is geared towards continuous improvement as a club, regardless of who the manager is at any given time. I know what I mean anyway!

7 minutes ago, philmpv said:

I think you've misread what I was getting at. I think he's a great manager. But he will leave at some point, whether that's forced or he goes to another job. My point was that the way that we are building things, from recruitment to the infrastructure, the whole structure is geared towards continuous improvement as a club, regardless of who the manager is at any given time. I know what I mean anyway!

This concept is best demonstrates by Brentford when Villa Poached Dean Smith… their fans made a comment that all Villa had done was take one small piece of a huge machine which could easily be replaced by that machine.

I remember thinking at the time how good that must feel!

36 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Gotcha.  I still hope he's with us a long time yet. 

27 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

This concept is best demonstrates by Brentford when Villa Poached Dean Smith… their fans made a comment that all Villa had done was take one small piece of a huge machine which could easily be replaced by that machine.

I remember thinking at the time how good that must feel!

Managers don`t last very long,  they either fail or don`t do well enough, or are successful and poached by a bigger/wealthier club. So really are only employed as motivators/tacticians once a philosophy has been constructed at the club.  They get stale lose the dressing room and the club refreshes and moves on. Not every manager prefers this style, but even so it can be a stepping stone .

Archived