onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Advert

No idea if rumour is true, but its without question that something major needs to change with Rodney. Had an impact against Burton and I've defended him a lot this year (some of the booing when he came on once was proper head loss from fans), but he's been a non-entity in 99% of the games I've seen him in this season. There's just something missing. 

Right now he's a non-league player who did well in fits and starts last season. I don't like giving up on players who have the tools to be dangerous but he isn't improving at all.

Feels a bit Whitfield - clearly got a lot of talent and it comes together every so often, but far too many games of nothingness.

5 hours ago, Joe B said:

I've never trusted the 'recruitment' side of things at the club before. It's been so poor.

First time I've got faith in the people making decisions. Proper set up with data and scouting. None of this contacts nonsense, or 'wait till the end for the bargain bucket' rubbish. We sign players because they suit our needs and style of play; Garrity, Jones, and Cass were unheard of on arrival but all have largely contributed in a good way. 

Not every signing has been bang on but there's been more good than bad, and even the worst isn't exactly atrocious (like most of the signings last summer, with 3 now featuring in my worst ever Vale 18). 

It's weird that 'Trust the Pruhcess' was used as a stick to knock the club in pre-season, but I find myself saying it without irony more and more these days.

Agree with this, Joe - how many times in the past have we had a manager who could say this about a signing?

"...The Vale manager added that the club had carefully researched the signing of Edmondson adding: “Our recruitment team have done the homework on him and he fits the profile of the type player that we were looking for particularly with his presence, mobility and his touch, he will be a great addition to our attacking players.”

3 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Rumours Stockport end that Ryan Johnson is off there.

I think that fits. A lad with promotion experience is perfect for them, especially as they released a left-sided defender today in Zeki Fryers. 

I want to think there's something there with Johnson, but he hasn't had an impact. A loan with an option at the end of the season if they fancy him could work out well. 

Permanent or loan ?
Just not happened for him at Vale but I'd persevere. Written off too soon on here . 

No idea their Podcast and forum mentions it, obviously their manager is Challinor who had him at Hartlepool. I expect if he goes Leggey will stay and we will replace with another central defender.

I'd be disappointed to see Johnson go, I think given a run of games he could be a good player for us. He had a really poor start, lost his place very quickly & then was just knocking on the door of the starting 11 again before the games were called off. He's got all the attributes to be very decent at this level.

I wouldn't be too sad to see Rodney leave but I'd be very surprised if we're letting a striker leave under current circumstances (even though I think he's better out wide) If somebody came in with decent money it would be foolish not to sell based on this seasons form. He looked a real asset last year. I'm not close to the detail but I know he's recently become a parent & he's obviously been hampered with some niggling injuries, but he just hasn't quite been at it so far this season. There was times last season when he was unplayable & we just haven't seen that this year from him.

I know Johnson has not exactly established himself yet but would be a bit surprised if we’d let him go at this point. Really with Dan Jones banned for three games (that Newport red card seems an age ago now) this should be his opportunity to force his case in our first team unless Amos has shown he could maybe play that LCB role.

34 minutes ago, The French Connection said:

I can't see Vale signing another striker, for 6 figures or nothing.  We have Edmondson now, with Amoo probably back, Wilson back in training, Garrity an excellent emergency option, Politic, and Proc maybe a month off.

Amoo, Garrity, and Politic are not strikers. They are all very effective elsewhere. If they play them up front we lose their utility in other positions.

Proctor isn't ready and Edmonson is cup-tied and inexperienced, and whilst he might be good, we can't rely on it. Wilson won't be match fit yet even if he is available. 

We need another forward. Lloyd is gone and we can't trust Rodney. We also can't assume Proctor and Wilson will hit the ground running. 

We need striker + Edmonson until Proctor and Wilson are back, and that'll allow us to ease them back in. We should then have a target man back up for Proctor and then Wilson/new signing for the other spot. As much as Wilson was in good form, he wasn't exactly prolific in the league. We're going to have a spell of Saturday/Tuesday and depth will be crucial.

At least that's how I see it. 

Archived