onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Who we after .

I'd say we need a centre half and another forward .

Other than that we are pretty strong I'd say all over the pitch .

I'm sure that Flitcroft and DC will have a few targets up there sleeve and are any of our players attracting attention if they are then that's not a bad thing it means there doing there job well .

Over the years you can see why theres no offers for our players generally but this year some have improved significantly and others are better since being surrounded by better players 

UTV 

Advert

2 hours ago, Bycarsbill said:

See that Harry McKirdy was banging in the goals for Swindon this afternoon!

Yeah for once it seems he actually made an effort. I’m pleased for him but  don’t feel we missed out on a class player because his efforts when he was at Vale were dreadful. 

38 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Yeah for once it seems he actually made an effort. I’m pleased for him but  don’t feel we missed out on a class player because his efforts when he was at Vale were dreadful. 

I really do not  know what kind of mentality we had under Askey last season I mean Jan 2020 playing Man City you think the club would have gone from strength to strength instead we had a couldn't be bothered culture in the club and it showed Mckirdy was one of a fair few who's efforts were poor to say the least .

Talented yes ,but we never saw it whether that was because he played like that deliberately as he said he would never play for Vale to Vale fan allegedly or just it was just a job to him and there was no pride in doing it I got that impression watching Vale pre Clark and I do not think you could blame Askey it seemed there were too many egos at the club well fair enough if your producing if not you will  be found out .

Mckirdy wants it for Swindon he didn't at Vale I  hope we annihilate them in a few weeks time 

UTV 

9 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

Yep, from comments made by DC it would appear to have been McKirdy's attitude that was the problem and not necessarily his ability. Think he's now got a total of 7 goals in this campaign so far, so not exactly settling the world on fire. But nevertheless, yesterday's 4 goals bonanza will grab some headlines. 

1 hour ago, Bycarsbill said:

Yep, from comments made by DC it would appear to have been McKirdy's attitude that was the problem and not necessarily his ability. Think he's now got a total of 7 goals in this campaign so far, so not exactly settling the world on fire. But nevertheless, yesterday's 4 goals bonanza will grab some headlines. 

He's actually on ten goals now, from 23 games this season.

It was a sensible decision from Clarke to let him go at the end of his contract, considering his difficult attitude, but I think it was nuts for Askey to deregister a talent like that.

I think it was actually a hindrance for McKirdy to be around here. He probably needs somewhere where people don't know him already. People I knew were talking about him as soon as he came back, and rarely in a positive fashion,

I was a big advocate in playing him as I felt he could have played the '10' role we lacked when Manny was injured, but he was anonymous in every chance he got. Maybe part of that was due to Askey imploding + playing with poor players, but it was right to release him, as it was for every other player.

He's doing well at Swindon who are doing superbly considering where they were in pre-season, sending non-league trialists and teenagers to be hammered in friendlies. Sometimes certain set ups suit players, and others don't. Garrity is a prime example, as is Jones and Proctor. 

I guess it depends what you want to watch. The DC approach is that players are a commodity to be bought and sold when required. Tell them what to do and leave nothing to their imagination. That may or may not get results but some people like a bit of character like Monty or McKirdy. Micky Adams type of management was able to control such players and get the best out of them. Bit more rollercoaster but more entertaining to watch.

5 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I guess it depends what you want to watch. The DC approach is that players are a commodity to be bought and sold when required. Tell them what to do and leave nothing to their imagination. That may or may not get results but some people like a bit of character like Monty or McKirdy. Micky Adams type of management was able to control such players and get the best out of them. Bit more rollercoaster but more entertaining to watch.

Actually nearly a sensible post from you. DC doesn't seem to like mavericks, an approach which has served us well. Manny sold, McKirdy and Monty released. We're a committed, hard-working, effective team which should finish in the top 7 and has a decent chance of top three.

We don't struggle to score goals so it's not that we lack creativity, it just seems to come from the system rather than individuals. Whilst some have bemoaned Worrall's decline in importance, I think it's good to not have to rely on him having a good day - his numbers were ridiculous partly because Askey was completely dependent on him to create chances. The system does it for us, which is much more sustainable.

I don't agree with the commodity stuff as too many players attest to his man management skills. 

10 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I guess it depends what you want to watch. The DC approach is that players are a commodity to be bought and sold when required. Tell them what to do and leave nothing to their imagination.

Welcome to football management. 

Treating players as a commodity:

Adams - put the whole lot up for sale (the very definition of the word)

Askey - ruined Tom Popes life by treating him so badly according to Tom

Askey - binned of Ben Whitfield, who had the flair we apparently are desperate for, because he couldn’t control him

Askey - Deregistered McKirdy for the same reason

DC - built the BEST dressing room a number of the players have been involved in.

As for what I would rather watch… a well organised team with a win ratio of nearly 50% rather than a team at the bottom of the league that nearly got relegated 3 times with Monty making a flair run once every 9 games.

UTV

1 hour ago, Wrex said:

He's actually on ten goals now, from 23 games this season.

It was a sensible decision from Clarke to let him go at the end of his contract, considering his difficult attitude, but I think it was nuts for Askey to deregister a talent like that.

Thanks, I thought he'd only scored 3 in the league prior to yesterday. He undoubtedly has some talent, but if he us a 'difficult character' it takes an exceptional man-manager to get the best out of someone like that! 

49 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Treating players as a commodity:

Adams - put the whole lot up for sale (the very definition of the word)

Askey - ruined Tom Popes life by treating him so badly according to Tom

Askey - binned of Ben Whitfield, who had the flair we apparently are desperate for, because he couldn’t control him

Askey - Deregistered McKirdy for the same reason

DC - built the BEST dressing room a number of the players have been involved in.

As for what I would rather watch… a well organised team with a win ratio of nearly 50% rather than a team at the bottom of the league that nearly got relegated 3 times with Monty making a flair run once every 9 games.

UTV

The one thing i took from pope's interview on ale n vale was how horrendous askey was at man managing and i believe that to be true. So everyone saying mckirdys attitude was this and that but what you have to remember is he barely had a sniff with us and then in the interview pope mentions about askey started on mckirdy for wearing a snude in training. So i think if any player is not getting any game time and the manager has clearly got it in for them i feel anyone would have a attitude towards a club. 

i think the fact hes gone to swindon and pretty much starts every week and seems to be loved there suggests that if you are able to manage him properly he does have a good attitude and will give his all. 

but there is always deffo two sides to the story so everyone sayinf hes got attitude problems there may be a valid reason for him being like that because if your employer doesn't treat you right your not going to give everything. 

following swindons socials hes turning into a loved key player for them which is nice to see as he clearly has talent and it would be a shame to see it go to waste

Archived